Forced to use single vacation day for call in

Pickles

They always steal single vacation days if you call in sick here. Happened to me Monday and Tuesday actually. So when I need to use those vacation days for what I was planning to use them for, I'm just going to call in again and they won't have anything to take. Plus, it can't be denied.

iruhnman630

Unfortunately, yes.

Although I had to call in for a funeral and didn't lose one.

It is wrong. They are called single vacation days, not sick or vacation days.

That vacation time is supposed to be ours to use at our discretion within the guidelines,just as if we had chosen it as a week.

Overpaid Union Thug

Can ups force you to use svd days when you call in. For a full time driver. This sentence is what they are using to justify it. It's the last sentence in the approval section of article 16. These days shall be paid for the first five days that the
employee does not work, provided they were scheduled to
work on these days and provided there is coverage for the
They are right. That is what they are supposed to do. The problem is that it is not consistently enforced in many centers. If they really wanted to they could start enforcing it across the board. Each supplement is a little different but ours, for example, gives us 8 option/sick days. If our center wanted to they could deduct the first eight days we do not work. But it’s very rare anything is done automatically. We normally have to tell them to code us as an option day. Some of our drivers will miss lots of days throughout the year but not use their option/sick days until later. They save them for when they really do not want to work. Such as bad weather or other things that come up.

oldngray

nowhere special
None of it is in the contract.

It was a company policy, that has never been consistently enforced.

Maybe 30 years ago, it was 4%. Meaning 1 absence or late, every 30 working days.

Not anymore....
They had me in the office once because I was sick 3 days in 6 months. Put me over their magical percentage. Didn't matter that I had hardly missed any days for years previously. Or their "special" people missed many more days. I was one of the people they always counted on being their every day and screwed up their plans.

No warning letter or other action. Just a bit of harassment.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Just read Art. 16 of national. Not seeing anything there about it.

What supplement are you under?

EDIT: Also, if that's your real name, change it. Against TOS to use identifiable info.
How's that? Several posters use their real name. For example: Turdferguson. That has to be a real name.

MattM

They are right. That is what they are supposed to do. The problem is that it is not consistently enforced in many centers. If they really wanted to they could start enforcing it across the board. Each supplement is a little different but ours, for example, gives us 8 option/sick days. If our center wanted to they could deduct the first eight days we do not work. But it’s very rare anything is done automatically. We normally have to tell them to code us as an option day. Some of our drivers will miss lots of days throughout the year but not use their option/sick days until later. They save them for when they really do not want to work. Such as bad weather or other things that come up.

My building was bad with this. We have a growing workforce but our Saturday’s have stayed the same, so we have signups NOT to work. It all used to just be scheduled off, but then people were still using option days and option week days later on. New boss comes in and now our first 9 scheduled off days, they see if we have any paid time to be used first. After those 9 days are exhausted, it becomes a scheduled off/layoff day. Some use all of those by March.

It’s a lot like them using vacation first when we go on FMLA.

Luckily my area has sick days. I still see call ins though. So they aren’t quite enforcing it fully.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
How's that? Several posters use their real name. For example: Turdferguson. That has to be a real name.

Maybe not real but the shoe certainly
Fits in that case
source (9).gif