Forced to work the Memorial holiday with no OT - WTF?

FedexCares

If he is Tuesday thru Saturday and holiday lands on Monday then he gets another day off if they are not allowing him to take Tues off, probably because of staffing. He has 30 days to schedule that day off. Yes they seem to forget to tell us, lol
I'm not sure about this. I spoke with HR today (total joke) and according to him it's completely up to the manager's discretion whether to give someone the day off after a holiday if the holiday is falling on a regular day off. For example, in my situation, monday is my normal day off, so in year's past I would get tuesday off for memorial day. Well, according to the HR rep this is totally up to the manager per fedex policy and is not mandatory. Thus, I don't have a day I can use in the next 30 days etc.

l22

I'm not sure about this. I spoke with HR today (total joke) and according to him it's completely up to the manager's discretion whether to give someone the day off after a holiday if the holiday is falling on a regular day off. For example, in my situation, monday is my normal day off, so in year's past I would get tuesday off for memorial day. Well, according to the HR rep this is totally up to the manager per fedex policy and is not mandatory. Thus, I don't have a day I can use in the next 30 days etc.

I'd first review what the People Manual says and then get a lawyer if I were you - because it doesn't say what your HR person did.

Always be skeptical of what HR tells you - at this company, they are just a tool used by management to find out how an employee feels and gauge what legal actions the employee may take. Still though, ask your HR person questions and tell him what is troubling you but don't go too much into detail and whatever you say, imagine your manager is on the line with them listening - because they basically are. Fedex HR's main responsibility is union avoidance.

Last edited:

Yozh69

So, I am a FT courier that works Tuesday - Saturday. Whenever there is a holiday on a Monday, since I don't work on Mondays my holiday pay is accrued Tuesday, and us tues-sat people get 3 day weekends like everyone else.

I'm a newb working Tues-Sat. We were told that Tuesday was a normal workday but we would be paid for an additional 4 hours on Tuesday. I "assumed" that this meant we would get paid Monday holiday pay and time and a half on Tuesday for working a day off. However, after reading this I'm not so sure.

My manager of course took today off for a 4-day weekend so I couldn't ask him. I guess I'll find out next week.

overflowed

I'd first review what the People Manual says and then get a lawyer if I were you - because it doesn't say what your HR person did.

Always be skeptical of what HR tells you - at this company, they are just a tool used by management to find out how an employee feels and gauge what legal actions the employee may take. Still though, ask your HR person questions and tell him what is troubling you but don't go too much into detail and whatever you say, imagine your manager is on the line with them listening - because they basically are. Fedex HR's main responsibility is union avoidance.
This is correct, every place I've worked other than this place HR was kinda half looking out for you half looking out for the company. Here? They are the company. Don't trust fedex HR at all. Talking to HR is talking to the company. When they want to write you up or fire you, guess who your manager calls?

Goldilocks

Do you work for Express? You have the option of taking holiday cash or a day off on Tuesday. Been doing this for 30 years. A lot of my coworkers that are tues-sat are taking Tuesday off.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Don't even ask. Just call him that morning an hour before the sort and TELL him you're taking your holiday today.

That sounds good. Take charge, people. If they're going to eff with you, there are lots of ways to eff them back. That's how it works.

l22

Do you work for Express? You have the option of taking holiday cash or a day off on Tuesday. Been doing this for 30 years. A lot of my coworkers that are tues-sat are taking Tuesday off.

Also, holiday cash and holiday pay are not the same thing. If a holiday falls on the same day as your regularly scheduled day off, you should either be getting an additional day off or holiday cash in addition to the holiday pay that everyone gets regardless of when their day off falls.

Rhoderunner

I pulled up the Policy Manual on a terminal at my station. Went right to the Holiday Pay section. Went in to do research for the July 4th fiasco during our vacation bids. Noticed at the top of the page it states 'Revised March 2014'. I can't recall exactly word for word, but it does state that you will get Holiday Pay for a holiday that is not your normal work day. BUT requesting a additional day off (because the holiday was on a normal day off) would be at the managers discretion. The usual BS about staffing needs and so forth.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
They stopped the overtime pay on Tuesday, three years ago at our station/ramp. When they had to start doing "mandated reverse seniority", to fill those vacancies ... it was not received very well. Folk that never worked overtime and those that have other jobs, were not happy campers. This Tuesday, folk with 15 years or more are told, "It's your turn to come in!" Labor Day will be next.

* grabbing popcorn *

FedexCares

I pulled up the Policy Manual on a terminal at my station. Went right to the Holiday Pay section. Went in to do research for the July 4th fiasco during our vacation bids. Noticed at the top of the page it states 'Revised March 2014'. I can't recall exactly word for word, but it does state that you will get Holiday Pay for a holiday that is not your normal work day. BUT requesting a additional day off (because the holiday was on a normal day off) would be at the managers discretion. The usual BS about staffing needs and so forth.
This is pretty much what the HR person told me. PSP at its finest.