Forced Vacation Change

Observer

I have been with the company 15+ years. I always take the week of Thanksgiving as my option week. I am in the midwest in a large hub. Now mind you, I'm in the first batch of people in my dept. to be able to request vacations. A pt sup came up to me and informed me that I HAD to change my vacation to the week BEFORE Thanksgiving. When I mentioned that I should have enough seniority - she replied "I don't know I think that there are already too many people on vacation." My ft sup had the pt sup (who was new in our dept.) take care of this.
My question - if this comes up again this year- should I file a grievance? Does seniority even count any more in this company? What article would I use for this grievance? Thanks for any assistance.
Don't state go to your steward - they barely glance at your grievance that you've written - and don't go over grievances with you prior to turning it in. Stewards also will stand and listen while you argue with your sup- never interjecting anything. This is also true at your grievance hearing. But that is another subject.
Any help would be appreciated regarding forcing people to change vacation dates.

clean hairy

Can't comment on your local, but in the Southern, we bid vacations in Nov.
If it was me, I would file under the vacation posting article (and all other articles that may apply) with the issue being:
"The Company had no problem at the time vacation weeks were bid, and if there were a problem with the vacation weeks as they were posted, they had ample time to object. By failing to object during the vacation week posting period, they accepted the weeks as posted and had no issues at that time with # of Employees on vacation each of those weeks"
"Waiting 6 months to object to the vacation schedule appears to be untimely, as any objections to the vacation schedule should been raised during the time frame weeks were being posted"
In Settlement requested, "To keep my vacation week as posted, and not be forced to change it 6 months after posting "

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I have been with the company 15+ years. I always take the week of Thanksgiving as my option week. I am in the midwest in a large hub. Now mind you, I'm in the first batch of people in my dept. to be able to request vacations. A pt sup came up to me and informed me that I HAD to change my vacation to the week BEFORE Thanksgiving. When I mentioned that I should have enough seniority - she replied "I don't know I think that there are already too many people on vacation." My ft sup had the pt sup (who was new in our dept.) take care of this.
My question - if this comes up again this year- should I file a grievance? Does seniority even count any more in this company? What article would I use for this grievance? Thanks for any assistance.
Don't state go to your steward - they barely glance at your grievance that you've written - and don't go over grievances with you prior to turning it in. Stewards also will stand and listen while you argue with your sup- never interjecting anything. This is also true at your grievance hearing. But that is another subject.
Any help would be appreciated regarding forcing people to change vacation dates.
Maybe,they are,attempting to,get,a,jump on new contract and not allow,vacations thanksgiving week because the,day,after is a regular work day

clean hairy

Although, the contract was written as no vacation time after Thanksgiving, but they allowed it since the day of and the day after were Holidays.
I would not think they could change it now, due to past practice?
In the next contract, the wording could be "No vacations after the 2nd week of Nov"

Last edited:

By The Book

To the OP. I would read your vacation language in your supplement and verify that the formula used to come up with the correct amount off for that week is correct. I know in some areas the formula changed and could affect the week of thanksgiving thru New Years week. Take a copy/picture of your vacation calendar.

fres431

If vacation was approved by ups take that week, make sure you have approval on paper. My district they must approve you vacation picks by signing the bid sheet they past out and you filled out and submitted. Once you have that ups can't change vacas here

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am also on vacation that week. It is my break before Peak.

If the week was open and you properly selected that week there is little that they can do about it.

moldsporh

I have bid the week of Thanksgiving for 18 years since I've had the seniority to bid it. In my 20-plus years here I've never heard that you can't take that week.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
The writing is on the wall. Why would they take away the holiday yet still allow vacations?
Easy, because they allow vacations on other holiday, or non-holiday week.

Just because they made the day after Thanksgiving a work day, doesn't mean they are taking away the whole week.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
From what you posted in another thread, apparently you are transitioning from PT to FT. That's a pretty important piece of info you left out. You would need to know if there are separate seniority lists in your area for PT/FT, and if that affects vacation bidding (it does where I am). Even more importantly, you may not even get vacation time your first year FT.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What does the holiday have to do with vacation?
I didn't look this year on the vacation sheet, but since Thanksgiving "changed" and it's a working Holiday for most, the black-out area in vacation picks may have been moved backward to reflect that? Therefore you can't pick Thanksgiving week.

That is the only legit reason I could think of that could apply to the OP. Maybe a local thing or whatever.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
From what you posted in another thread, apparently you are transitioning from PT to FT. That's a pretty important piece of info you left out. You would need to know if there are separate seniority lists in your area for PT/FT, and if that affects vacation bidding (it does where I am). Even more importantly, you may not even get vacation time your first year FT.
If you are transitioning from PT to FT they can take vacation weeks away if they were already maxed out.

New drivers go to the bottom of the seniority list the second they make book.