Forcing hourlies to work Saturday??

fatherof4

I showed up saturday and got a whole two stops. I asked for 8 hrs work but I was told I didnt ask in writing so I dont get the work. So, I drove 30 miles each way to get to work at 11:00am to work an hour if I'm lucky. I did ask for 8 24 hrs in advance and even talked to the steward and nobody ever said anything about request in writing.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I showed up saturday and got a whole two stops. I asked for 8 hrs work but I was told I didnt ask in writing so I dont get the work. So, I drove 30 miles each way to get to work at 11:00am to work an hour if I'm lucky. I did ask for 8 24 hrs in advance and even talked to the steward and nobody ever said anything about request in writing.

It was requested in writing in the contract. Grieve it, you will win.

outta hours

Now was'nt that nice of the company. Making you come in to work under the false pretense that it was a "regular" or "mandatory" work day. And then sending you home after an hour on your day off. First it was not a regular work day if it were you could work any Sat. you wanted. It was strictly voluntary if you worked. It is in the contract along with the 8hrs. you are entitled to for showing up. Grieve for the 8 hrs. pay and if it's not on your next check grieve for the penalty pay. Don't you love working for a company that makes up the rules while they go? Or one that only uses the rules when it benefits them? I wonder why we have such a distrust for UPS? It is your contract too. Read it , Know it, Live it.

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
I don't know that rules necessarily get made up on stuff like this, I believe that ignorance of the contract has a lot to do with it. My book is about to fall apart from referring to it over and over again and I still have to ask questions.

Overpaid Union Thug

We had 13 or so drivers and four (including myself) had 4 or less hours available. The four of us were assigned to areas around, and close to, the
center. I ended up with 15 stops for 2.5 hours. The drivers with more available hours went out with 30 or more stops. The four of us with four or less hours should have been given the day off. That would have helped assure that some of the others that wanted 8 hours would have gotten it.

HazMatMan

Was just curious, How can anyone force you to do anything?? Last time I was told I HAD to come in was day after Thanksgiving 1992, I was part-time preloader slash air walker, My name was not on the schedule to come in day after Thanksgiving so I did not HAVE to do anything but sleep until 11 that morning, or was it 12? so long ago I forgot...