Forum Trolls

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Awesome! Now if i could just remember my email address from 1999. LOL! Or maybe it was 2000.

I still have my first ever real e-mail addy (Yahoo! - registered in 1997 as a 14-year-old) and periodically check it, but it receives several hundred spam messages a day.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Well about time we did something about it.

I really don't understand the point of trolling. Sad that someone's got such a pathetic life that their idea of fun is trolling on a forum.

I sometimes wonder if its not just as pathetic being a regular on this site. I like the entertainment value but what do we really accomplish? I know the wife doesn't understand.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I sometimes wonder if its not just as pathetic being a regular on this site. I like the entertainment value but what do we really accomplish? I know the wife doesn't understand.

What do people accomplish when they spend hours talking about Kim Kardashian or the New England Patriots all day?
TrollBuster_1ecab6_1899996.jpg

P

pickup

I propose that anyone who really egregiously trolls, should be stuck with the title "droll troll". Just my two cents.

quamba 638

The membership of browncafe have varying views both on what constitutes a troll and how to deal with trolls. Some people view mere antagonism as trolling, while others have a more strict definition. Some people want to ban trolls, others want us all to ignore trolls.

Starting now, there will be a new mod policy for dealing with trolling. Anyone reported by 2 or more members to be trolling our forum will have their posts reviewed by moderators and if we determine that they are intentionally posting personal attacks on other members or disseminating bad advice to mislead participants then their custom user title will be changed to "Troll". That way everyone can see that the person has been reported by other members to be trolling our forum. Then others can choose to put them on the ignore list in their profile or choose to respond to or ignore what they say.

The definition that will be used for what constitutes trolling is:
Any member that goes out of their way to make insulting, offensive, or annoying posts to gain attention or upset people rather than contributing any actual content.

Please feel free to continue reporting messages you think are from trolls, and we will continue to address them on a case by case basis. If you feel someone deserves the "Troll" user title, it will help us address the issue if you report trolling posts with the reasons why you consider it trolling (Remember - dissent is not trolling!)

If anyone feels that their "Troll" user title is unwarranted, they may petition the mods to have it removed. The mods will review the issue and make a decision.
this is how I troll
image.jpg

UPS Preloader

The membership of browncafe have varying views both on what constitutes a troll and how to deal with trolls. Some people view mere antagonism as trolling, while others have a more strict definition. Some people want to ban trolls, others want us all to ignore trolls.

Starting now, there will be a new mod policy for dealing with trolling. Anyone reported by 2 or more members to be trolling our forum will have their posts reviewed by moderators and if we determine that they are intentionally posting personal attacks on other members or disseminating bad advice to mislead participants then their custom user title will be changed to "Troll". That way everyone can see that the person has been reported by other members to be trolling our forum. Then others can choose to put them on the ignore list in their profile or choose to respond to or ignore what they say.

Any member that goes out of their way to make insulting, offensive, or annoying posts to gain attention or upset people rather than contributing any actual content.

Please feel free to continue reporting messages you think are from trolls, and we will continue to address them on a case by case basis. If you feel someone deserves the "Troll" user title, it will help us address the issue if you report trolling posts with the reasons why you consider it trolling (Remember - dissent is not trolling!)

If anyone feels that their "Troll" user title is unwarranted, they may petition the mods to have it removed. The mods will review the issue and make a decision.

Can you set it up so that we can give/receive "Troll Power"? LOL

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Is there at least a grievance process if I'm labeled a troll?
We're not going to give regular members a troll label, even if they are reported.

Just to clarify: The troll label is for people that post here to purposely start arguments, upset people or disseminate bad advice. We're not going to slap the label on a member just because they are controversial or someone that disagrees with them reported them.

Trolls are disruptive to the spirit of legitimate, reasoned debate and damaging to the purpose of our community. By including the troll title in a member's posts we hope to inform the other members that are unfamiliar with their previous posts so that they can decide if it's worth responding to them, or not. I personally think it's best not to respond to trolls.

troll-face-meme-do-not-feed-the-trolls.jpg

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
We're not going to give regular members a troll label, even if they are reported.

Just to clarify: The troll label is for people that post here to purposely start arguments, upset people or disseminate bad advice. We're not going to slap the label on a member just because they are controversial or someone that disagrees with them reported them.

Trolls are disruptive to the spirit of legitimate, reasoned debate and damaging to the purpose of our community. By including the troll title in a member's posts we hope to inform the other members that are unfamiliar with their previous posts so that they can decide if it's worth responding to them, or not. I personally think it's best not to respond to trolls.

troll-face-meme-do-not-feed-the-trolls.jpg

With all due respect, I don't think this is going to work when you got so many bipolar people on this site, just isnt. You need to set up some rehab thread, that fixes this. All the best, have a lovely day ma'am.

Overpaid Union Thug

Awesome! Now if i could just remember my email address from 1999. LOL! Or maybe it was 2000.

I still have my first ever real e-mail addy (Yahoo! - registered in 1997 as a 14-year-old) and periodically check it, but it receives several hundred spam messages a day.

I've had a couple since joining BC. I just cant remember which goes with particular screen names I've had. My first name had my actual first name in it so I changed to another. It took me a while to settle on this one. The problem is that my first couple of email addresses were through AOL and I can't remember which was used to start my initial account back in 1999/2000.

cheeks

Good idea. But I don't think it's fair to punish people by this policy for things that they have done before this policy had been ratified.
Why not, UPS management has been doing it for years.
I think it's a good idea, get titled, and if you have good reasons for being condescending let the mods hear your petition, and learn to be more informative then inciting.

quamba 638

Can you make one for "scabs" too?

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I propose "Tolls for Trolls".
So many "Troll Points" puts you in the penalty box (ability to post in new "Troll-only" threads). It can be like a "Troll zoo".
A "Battle of the Trolls" will get one out by popular vote from "spectators".

Maybe a "Troll Redemption Program" can be initiated by the Mods.