Founders Day 2009~ What is the Status of the Management "Partnership"

JustTired

free at last.......
Whether you have cake or not is irrelavent. But to not even mention anything in regards to "Founders Day" is shocking to me. It seems that this could be an indicator of a deeper problem. One that is probably playing out in many other companies.

Too much concern for the future while shunning the past. There is a need to be concerned for the future, but not at the expense of forgetting who gave us a prospect for that future and what it took to get there.

Could the recalling of the old "Casey-isms" be cast aside next? Come to think of it....you don't hear them near as much as you used to!

over9five

Staff member
Whether you have cake or not is irrelavent. But to not even mention anything in regards to "Founders Day" is shocking to me. It seems that this could be an indicator of a deeper problem. One that is probably playing out in many other companies.

Too much concern for the future while shunning the past. There is a need to be concerned for the future, but not at the expense of forgetting who gave us a prospect for that future and what it took to get there.

Could the recalling of the old "Casey-isms" be cast aside next? Come to think of it....you don't hear them near as much as you used to!

Well, I was gonna write something, but that pretty much sums up my thoughts.

pretzel_man

I agree with you....

Not recognizing Founders' Day is shameful. Whoever decided that (or ignored the need) in the district made a huge mistake.

I agree that its not about cake or cost. Recognition of our history and people can be accomplished for little or no cost.

P-Man

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Until the ship is righted, and it will, we will have to settle for "flounder's" day.

Does anyone here remember the "Flounders Day" massacre in New Stanton back in the 90's. I think all the management involved were canned but I don't recall what the rest of the story was.

Did anyone go to jail, etc?

I think most of the night hub was involved in drugs, sex and ???.

NHDRVR

A ton of great responses here but the bottom line is that the company is a massive undertaking that Casey would have a difficult time understanding if he saw it today.

On one hand it has to be run by accountants. The numbers alone in volume and dollars, incoming and outgoing, is staggering.

On the other hand, and this is why I am glad we are a Union shop, the sheer efforts involved by our labor forces on a daily basis requires everything that an accountant ISN'T...

Understanding people, how individual centers run contrary to numbers, and simple management skills that are usually overlooked by too many on-roads. I am still surprised at the number of suits that lack the smallest bit of understanding how to deliver cardboard and what we, as drivers, actually do on a daily basis. An OJS isn't an accurate representation of a run. It takes a few weeks to really see what makes it tick...

brownone

Scott Davis has been with UPS for 23 years. Its funny that we then think of him as a short timer.

Lee Iacocca is credited with saving Chrysler. Lou Gerstner is credited with saving IBM. Each were with their respective companies much shorter.

Over the years, I met Scott Davis many times. He's a good, intelligent and decent man. He has never expressed anything other than a belief that people should be treated with respect.

P-Man

Pretzel my guess is you are a greade 20 or above and that is why you love your man Scott. Funny how stock options were given to grade 18 and above this year, yet there were no managment raises. What about the bonus's for grade 20 and above? He has done nothing for the management team that resembles anything close to partnership. We are top heavy as a company in grade 18 and above. We eliminate managemnet jobs at UPS, but allow the people to stay. If Scott wants to reduce cost, tell him to go look at the palace he works in and start there. Do not just eliminate jobs, force the people to retire or put them in a center or hub and make then earn their money. As a 23 year UPS management person who has relocated 4 times, it embarissing what we are doing to the younger management team.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Pretzel my guess is you are a greade 20 or above and that is why you love your man Scott. Funny how stock options were given to grade 18 and above this year, yet there were no managment raises. What about the bonus's for grade 20 and above? He has done nothing for the management team that resembles anything close to partnership. We are top heavy as a company in grade 18 and above. We eliminate managemnet jobs at UPS, but allow the people to stay. If Scott wants to reduce cost, tell him to go look at the palace he works in and start there. Do not just eliminate jobs, force the people to retire or put them in a center or hub and make then earn their money. As a 23 year UPS management person who has relocated 4 times, it embarissing what we are doing to the younger management team.

Calling BS on this:
I find it hard to believe a 23 year management person would have these kind of grammar and spelling errors. You would never have made it out of SBTS!
You are an embarrassment to out younger management,

pretzel_man

Brownone:

Your frustrations are reasonable. All UPS management have a right to be frustrated over the current situation. However, where you place the blame is inaccurate from my perspective.

I believe that the true cause of our problem is lack of growth. We are not growing volume and certainly the stock has not grown for quite a long time. This is compounded by the competition we face and we are no longer the cheaper growing player we were when I started.

Grade 18's and 20's and above certainly should not complain when it comes to compensation. However, they do NOT have the long term financial reward that existed 20 years ago. Without the growth in stock, options and LTIP are much less valuable than in the past.

Davis and the management committee have tried to structure compensation and priorities to enable stock growth. Its the growth that will fix the current situation.

I am very concerned as you are with our younger management people. I used to work my behind off all year long, just like they do. But, at the end of the year, I could see the reward in the growth of stock.

The growth in the company meant I had opportunites with the company. It meant that their would be opportunites for promotion or varied assignments. Our younger people do not see this. I agree.

Rather than seeing Davis as the cause, I see him as the individual trying to help us battle this situation.

Now, one suggestion you have is to reduce management staffing. Rather than wait for attrition, proactively remove the less valuable individuals. I have heard this discussed by some friends I have in Corporate. I heard Alan Hill not rule this out on the report back video.

I think that is hard to do. If the company did so, it would not solve our problems, but it may send a message to those that remain. Whether that message is a good one or not, I do not know....

I believe the enemy is not Davis. Its not management. Its not Teamsters. Its our non-union competition. If we can get our packages back, I think then we will see stock grow and frustrations reduce.

P-Man

brownone

Calling BS on this:
I find it hard to believe a 23 year management person would have these kind of grammar and spelling errors. You would never have made it out of SBTS!
You are an embarrassment to out younger management,

Hoaxster, My bad for not spell checking on a blog page, I did not realize this was going to my District Manager. I did make it through SBTS and MLS to, but thanks for your concern. I see your in Atlanta, I would love to have come back out to the real world of operations and show you what life is like. Enjoy your coffea and nine to five day.:peaceful:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoaxster, My bad for not spell checking on a blog page, I did not realize this was going to my District Manager. I did make it through SBTS and MLS to, but thanks for your concern. I see your in Atlanta, I would love to have come back out to the real world of operations and show you what life is like. Enjoy your coffea and nine to five day.:peaceful:
Still not too sure but it really doesn't matter.
I was goofing with you anyway ... I know many don't pay any attention when on BC or in IMing. I tend to be pretty bad on IM myself (or the chatroom).

As for being in Corporate ... not really although I'm in 2010. I'm a User Rep for Customer Facing applications. And it's more like a 7:30 - 6:30 day.
As for the world of operations ... the memories are good enough or bad enough. :wink2:

PS - Notice, I did not say the real world. What is the real world?