Fred's letter.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
105 seconds for a sig, 48 seconds for a dr; 13 seconds per package in addition to either stop allowance

these are just averages i pulled from a single family suburban resi area near me that has pretty low allowances, most places have higher

there is also a lot more that is factored in but just to simply answer your question..
Does weight affect these numbers? Or is a 1lb package the same as a 69lb package? Or am I starting a fight?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Why do you think that? The current trend is to start as late as possible. This makes the runners run faster and as an added bonus, mgmt gets the satisfaction of knowing the drivers on the dreaded 9.5 list are getting home later. There is no interest in mgmt to start us at a decent time. Plain and simple.

thanks for your opinion but you are completely wrong

we start late because of late air arrivals, plain and simple; nobody wants this because it makes it more complicated for everyone

also it doesn't encourage the runners, i see the corporate report on bonus drivers and you can tell they're starting to lay down with the heavy days put on them

anyways, if 9.5 language was harsh enough, it would encourage more drivers to be put on road, which would get pickups in earlier, which would help the On Time Network, which would help airs from being late in the first place

Does weight affect these numbers? Or is a 1lb package the same as a 69lb package? Or am I starting a fight?

weight is not factored unless it's an over 70

IMO, there SHOULD be an allowance if an address receives more than 3 pieces at a time, to account for possible hand cart use, but there isn't

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.

we start late because of late air arrivals, plain and simple; nobody wants this because it makes it more complicated for everyone

also it doesn't encourage the runners, i see the corporate report on bonus drivers and you can tell they're starting to lay down with the heavy days put on them
I appreciate your input. I honestly do, but our NDA is on our dock 1 hour before start time.
Besides that , our center manager constantly threatens a later start time if overallowed is up for the day. Your area may be different, but it's just a fact here.
The only cure for a late start here would be for mgmt to be forced to stay until the last driver is in. My center manager and on road are getting the hell out of Dodge no later than 4 pm.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
I appreciate your input. I honestly do, but our NDA is on our dock 1 hour before start time.
Besides that , our center manager constantly threatens a later start time if overallowed is up for the day. Your area may be different, but it's just a fact here.
The only cure for a late start here would be for mgmt to be forced to stay until the last driver is in. My center manager and on road are getting the hell out of Dodge no later than 4 pm.
depends how much air you have to process, but usually 30min from door-to-done is normal

your center manager sounds like a total kook if he's threatening to move times up

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
depends how much air you have to process, but usually 30min from door-to-done is normal

your center manager sounds like a total kook if he's threatening to move times up
The air is processed and loaded in 10 -15 minutes. (Small ctr). Preloaders are all gone before we start.
And yes, my mgmt team is as crooked as a snake. Biggest waste of oxygen we've seen in years.

wide load

anyways, if 9.5 language was harsh enough, it would encourage more drivers to be put on road, which would get pickups in earlier, which would help the On Time Network, which would help airs from being late in the first place

weight is not factored unless it's an over 70

IMO, there SHOULD be an allowance if an address receives more than 3 pieces at a time, to account for possible hand cart use, but there isn't

A lot of the discrepancies of time allowance MAY be smoothed with calculating weight x distance.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
A lot of the discrepancies of time allowance MAY be smoothed with calculating weight x distance.
I "smoothed" them out myself by paying the allowances no mind at all, with the help of the "9.5 opt-in list".

These arbitrarily conjured "allowances" are nothing more than a mind control mechanism, created and manipulated by upper management, to hypnotize both driver and front line supervisor.

Divorce yourself from these numbers drivers and be liberated.

wide load

I "smoothed" them out myself by paying the allowances no mind at all, with the help of the "9.5 opt-in list".

These arbitrarily conjured "allowances" are nothing more than a mind control mechanism, created and manipulated by upper management, to hypnotize both driver and front line supervisor.

Divorce yourself from these numbers drivers and be liberated.
Already do. IDGF is my slogan at UPS

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Isn't that every letter any politician sends out.

Pretty much.

No disrespect, but why do we have to always "give something up", to gain something contractually. How about UPS starts giving something up?

I wanted to respond earlier to your post, but it's a tough question.

Because any answer I give.... can be confused as favoring the company.

But I'll give it a shot. (and this is my opinion)

As someone who has been involved with contract negotiations, there is always

an advantage for the employer. They provide the jobs.

Granted.... UPS is on solid financial footing.

(We want that, don't we ?)

But, they aren't required to fork over the bulk of their profits through

the contract bargaining procedure, to benefit the hourly Union worker.

They are entitled to "equitable" contract language.

We have the right to strike. (by vote).

The company has a right to "lock out" (don't see that happening).

As I said before;

The letter Fred Z sent, was political grandstanding.

If he was serious about LOCAL 89 and Worldport problems....

He would have addressed it years ago.

Nice timing.

-Bug-

TheFigurehead

from what i've experienced thus far it's probably just somebody dumb making dumb decisions and nobody bothers to ask why

That's UPS in a nutshell, and, at least in my opinion, the source of all of their problems. Very few people in the chain of command are given any power to challenge any directive from above or implement any better way of doing things.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Pretty much.

I wanted to respond earlier to your post, but it's a tough question.

Because any answer I give.... can be confused as favoring the company.

But I'll give it a shot. (and this is my opinion)

As someone who has been involved with contract negotiations, there is always

an advantage for the employer. They provide the jobs.

Granted.... UPS is on solid financial footing.

(We want that, don't we ?)

But, they aren't required to fork over the bulk of their profits through

the contract bargaining procedure, to benefit the hourly Union worker.

They are entitled to "equitable" contract language.

We have the right to strike. (by vote).

The company has a right to "lock out" (don't see that happening).

As I said before;

The letter Fred Z sent, was political grandstanding.

If he was serious about LOCAL 89 and Worldport problems....

He would have addressed it years ago.

Nice timing.

-Bug-

Always appreciate your answer. Thank you.

SafetyFirst

We have air problems now just like everyone else, but before this was the norm I had a center manager who moved our start time up 10 minutes and then after 2 days changed it back saying the building didn't perform and we had been threatened with making it even later if performance wasn't up to his standard (different center manager now)

We start later on Monday's now than we did previously the rest of the week, I've been into work before half an hour ahead of start time (if I don't leave home by a certain time I get stuck behind school buses) and there wasn't a preloader or a package left on the belt. Doesn't seem like there is a legitimate reason we can't start earlier at least on Monday