Freight contract is a JOKE !!!!!!!!

Here is one for you Hoaxster, Freight drivers are more qualified with the hazmat endorsment that Package drivers do not possess. That alone makes them eligible for the same compensation.
Yea let me know how that works out for you. In the real world we are compensated for the two hundred plus stops a day. Hazmat has nothing to do with it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Here is one for you Hoaxster, Freight drivers are more qualified with the hazmat endorsment that Package drivers do not possess. That alone makes them eligible for the same compensation.

Convince the market of that and make it work. Hell it may be because of that, Freight should be compensated more.

In Small Package, that responsibility has been placed on the shipper so the Small Package Driver essentially has to make sure the documentation provided by the shipper is in the cab area so in the case of an accident, the first responders will be able to understand any danger.
Additionally, Haz Mat shipments in Small package are required by the shipper to be in smaller quantities.

Regardless, compensation is based on ROI (Return on Investment) and profitability.
The instant UPS stops making money on small package, it will be gone (unless the national Government steps in).
UPS exists to return a good ROI to its shareholders.

I have no problem with Freight Drivers getting as much compensation as they can but it is irrational to compare Small Package to TL/LTL. They are two different Business Models and two different business entities.

I would have no problem with Freight Drivers making more than Small Package Drivers if the Freight business model supported that.

My posts have been intended to expose my opinion that Small Package and Freight are different businesses and appropriate employee compensation in each are not related. If I strayed from that, I apologize.

Convince the market of that and make it work. Hell it may be because of that, Freight should be compensated more.

In Small Package, that responsibility has been placed on the shipper so the Small Package Driver essentially has to make sure the documentation provided by the shipper is in the cab area so in the case of an accident, the first responders will be able to understand any danger.
Additionally, Haz Mat shipments in Small package are required by the shipper to be in smaller quantities.

Regardless, compensation is based on ROI (Return on Investment) and profitability.
The instant UPS stops making money on small package, it will be gone (unless the national Government steps in).

I have no problem with Freight Drivers getting as much compensation as they can but it is irrational to compare Small Package to TL/LTL. They are two different Business Models and two different business entities.

I would have no problem with Freight Drivers making more than Small Package Drivers if the Freight business model supported that.

My posts have been intended to expose my opinion that Small Package and Freight are different businesses and appropriate employee compensation in each are not related. If I strayed from that, I apologize.
you didn't stray it was loud and clear.
I don't always agree with you but you are spot on here.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Hazmat.
Using your theory, Cartage drivers should earn more than freight drivers and package drivers. Cartage drivers need to understand DOT and IATA hazmat. Trust me the cost of flying hazmat is more than moving it LTL. Flying hazmat is a cash cow.

What the hell; using your lame entitlement theory, Cartage drivers also need to be aware of "wood stamps" on shipments moving overseas.

Skeeters

:angry: If the union thinks this is such a great contract they must be smoking crack !!! I will vote no till we get equal to package (1 company 1 contract) . We gave them 5 years allready now it is our turn. Please urge all freight employees to vote no till we get an equal contract.

This is a strong tentative agreement that does exactly what our members asked for, which is to take on subcontracting while increasing wages and pension contributions,” Hall said. “The committee stayed focused and united, and they got the job done.”

Can you believe Hall had the nerve to say this...

FARM

the health coverage for retirees is for the retiree plus spouse, but doesn't include kids, right? i have read thru the contract several times and there's still things i don't understand about it!

Shooter

Don't know if I'm reading this right or not , But ..... We in freight know the revenue is not the same as small package. we also know that ups is not getting the freight that they can get and we also know that our jobs are slipping away each year. every time someone retires the job is cut and the freight ,gave to a contractor. I have worked for UPSFG for eight years and after eight years I'm in the exact same job I was hired in on, there were over a 120 road drivers and now we are down to 85. at one time I had 15 jobs on nites I could bid on and 4 jobs on day shift I could bid on . Now I have 6 on nites and I'm in now the last on days. One thing we want is to have all the jobs brought back, the contractors asses kicked out ,and enough raises to keep up with inflation and decent insurance,no harassment . 42 loads a day go out of our terminal a day and thats non union jobs .....it's just not right

jdog

Ups should of thought oh this when they labled Overnight with" UPS "... NOW PAY US LIKE "UPS" They need freight to compete with Fedex THEY WONT CLOSE OUR DOORS....VOTE NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!:angry:

Shooter

I don't care if we get paid like small package
if we get the jobs back that were taken from us because of contractors i will; be able to make 20 grand more a year because i will be able to move up and i'll keep the insurance i have now,would work for me .I understand the revenue is really high with small package (one small package trailer can have more revenue than entire day of freight trailers)
I get it .our biggest problem is contractors plain and simple and now they want to put uniforms on them.:sad-very: WTF

jdog

You are not getting the big picture !!!! we are not Overnight any more..... When UPS bought us they labled us and treat us like package in order to compete with fedex.. They need freight in there company weather it makes -10000 or 2.5 million. It is one company now with the differnt clasifications of jobs with feeders making the best rate of pay because they hold a cdl..without a hazmat !!!! Why should we get the crumbs ? The company will not get rid of freight because they will lose a ton of revenue to fedex with the combined discount they give to the customers not to mention the ease of technoligey that customers have to ship with. It should be one contract ,one company, different rate of pay for clasifications same insurance and pention across the board even if they make it for new hires only and grandfather existing drivers/ dock.. This was what was supposed to be done this contract, I was told 5 years ago to get the teamster in the door..

ScottBrown68

All you Freight guys shut the hell up! You should be happy you have a job! UPS bought your sorry ass company or your ass would be driving for some sorry as little company. I still don't understand why UPS bought your sorry ass company! Should of let it go down the toilet because all we have gotten in return is the same sorry ass freight drivers wearing a different uniform. Go ahead and vote no-who cares!You can be replaced as easily as UPS bought you. Go work for somebody else and stop bringing our company down!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You are not getting the big picture !!!! we are not Overnight any more..... When UPS bought us they labeled us and treat us like package in order to compete with fedex.. They need freight in there company weather it makes -10000 or 2.5 million. It is one company now with the different classifications of jobs with feeders making the best rate of pay because they hold a cdl..without a hazmat !!!! Why should we get the crumbs ? The company will not get rid of freight because they will lose a ton of revenue to fedex with the combined discount they give to the customers not to mention the ease of technology that customers have to ship with. It should be one contract ,one company, different rate of pay for classifications same insurance and pension across the board even if they make it for new hires only and grandfather existing drivers/ dock.. This was what was supposed to be done this contract, I was told 5 years ago to get the teamster in the door.

Compensation is based on ROI (Return on Investment) and profitability.

I think we can safely assume it was the Teamsters that told you that.