Frequently Asked Questions About the union

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I advocate for a two-tiered system as I see Ground as becoming even more of a threat in the next 5-10 years and UPS needs to do something to address the wage disparity. They have already decimated management ranks, consolidated regions, eliminated districts---the next logical step would be hourly wages.

IMO $25/hr w/benefits is a fair wage for a FT seniority UPS driver.

bbsam

Staff member
Artificially high? Did you not read the "Do we deserve $32/hr" thread? Are you implying that Union members have a sense of entitlement? (It's very hard to type this with tongue planted firmly in cheek)

LOL. I wondered if I wouldn't get that reaction. So, ok, say it is not artificially high. Do you believe that Ground and Home drivers are doing just as much work and just as well as UPS? Do you thinkk they run even close to the time study numbers UPS has placed on their drivers? Do you think those drivers would keep showing up for half the pay and all the stress? I do have a history with UPS so I do have an idea about such things.

thedownhillEXPRESS

I advocate for a two-tiered system as I see Ground as becoming even more of a threat in the next 5-10 years and UPS needs to do something to address the wage disparity. They have already decimated management ranks, consolidated regions, eliminated districts---the next logical step would be hourly wages.

IMO $25/hr w/benefits is a fair wage for a FT seniority UPS driver.

And are you saying you would accept a $7 an hour pay cut or only future drivers?

vantexan

Then why do you advocate a two tier system?
How about you advocate capping your pay for the next ten years and keeping a one tier system so that everyone that does the same work gets the same pay?
You are the entitled one.
Why two tiers, because it doesn't hurt you.

​We have a two tiered system at Express and believe me the topped out guys are fine with it. Sure, they think we're getting screwed, but they are perfectly fine with it as long as it doesn't affect them. And quite a few will roll their eyes and groan if we bring up pay in a meeting.

thedownhillEXPRESS

But both of you are missing the forest from the trees.
Both companies are making billions in profit.
Both companies can afford to pay well, one doesn't simply because there is no union threat.

Maybe the ground driver does deserve 30 dollars an hour, it's just that the ups driver deserves more.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Maybe the ground driver does deserve 30 dollars an hour, it's just that the ups driver deserves more.

Where does it end? We are talking about a job which requires only a HS diploma and drivers license. With PAS/EDD and ROADS/DRA, the driver job has been dumbed down to the point where any schmuck off the street with minimal training can get through a delivery route. No, they won't post the numbers mgt is used to, but the packages would get delivered and picked up and isn't that really why we are all here?

I would hope that future generations of UPSer would continue to enjoy industry leading wages and benefits; however, I just don't see the company being able to sustain our current business model in light of the ever-increasing presence of Ground.

bbsam

Staff member
But both of you are missing the forest from the trees.
Both companies are making billions in profit.
Both companies can afford to pay well, one doesn't simply because there is no union threat.

I wouldn't argue against that. Not with CEOs of failing companies taking home billions. But the facts remain that we have little chance of changing things. If you find one, I'm listening.in the current climate, I'd say UPS is about to roll the Teamsters pretty hard.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Probably when he retires. He can set up a delivery driver school and consulting firm. I can pay him $30/ hr and he can get his pension. Probably work 10 to 15, maybe 20 hours a week. Whatever he wants really. That's called, "having your cake and eating it too.". Not really working for the competition so keeping the pension income safe.

Sounds like some cushy created position that's not really necessary.

Kinda' like what Fred's done down in Memphis all these years.

You've learned well from the Weasel.

bbsam

Staff member
Sounds like some cushy created position that's not really necessary.

Kinda' like what Fred's done down in Memphis all these years.

You've learned well from the Weasel.

Careful. You are coming very close to.accepting the fact thatmy corporation is in fact a separate legal entity not associated with Fedex outside of contractual agreements and thus in fact not a scam as you like to call it.

vantexan

I wouldn't argue against that. Not with CEOs of failing companies taking home billions. But the facts remain that we have little chance of changing things. If you find one, I'm listening.in the current climate, I'd say UPS is about to roll the Teamsters pretty hard.

Name CEO's of failing companies who are taking home billions? Millions, sure. Not billions.

Last edited:

Cactus

Careful. You are coming very close to.accepting the fact thatmy corporation is in fact a separate legal entity not associated with Fedex outside of contractual agreements and thus in fact not a scam as you like to call it.

You're not dazzling me with any brilliance here.

Baffling me with BS? Most certainly.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Where does it end? We are talking about a job which requires only a HS diploma and drivers license. With PAS/EDD and ROADS/DRA, the driver job has been dumbed down to the point where any schmuck off the street with minimal training can get through a delivery route. No, they won't post the numbers mgt is used to, but the packages would get delivered and picked up and isn't that really why we are all here?

I would hope that future generations of UPSer would continue to enjoy industry leading wages and benefits; however, I just don't see the company being able to sustain our current business model in light of the ever-increasing presence of Ground.

And what is the next step for the American worker?
Getting rid of minimum wage and any regulation?

Should we make it ok for a company to pay one dollar an hour because he has an unlimited labor pool to draw from in the future because the corporations will lobby to get rid of any and all safety nets and standards?

The union has kept your wages up with inflation.They have not become exuberant, it's the rest of Americans wages that have collapsed to make yours look like an outlier.

Should we go back to company housing and company stores where the worker actually ends up further in debt to his employer at the end of the week?

Again, corporations(including FedEx and UPS) are recording record profits and sitting on trillions in cash.

​What is the end game scenario for the American worker?

bbsam

Staff member
You're not dazzling me with any brilliance here.

Baffling me with BS? Most certainly.

maybe because you are not bright enough to understand contract law and court rulings. My brother is an accomplished computer programmer. It all looks like BS to me.

Cactus

maybe because you are not bright enough to understand contract law and court rulings. My brother is an accomplished computer programmer. It all looks like BS to me.

I sorry you're not bright enough to know that this scam business of yours can come crashing down like a house of cards. When, who knows?

In the meanwhile have fun while it lasts.

Cactus

You don't think he has an exit plan?

If he does, then good for him.

Not wishing him or any contrctor any ill fortune but the business model of Ground needs the wrecking ball and the sooner the better. It's just plain bad for the economy and bad for America.