FT driver, make the switch?

Bad Gas!

Not mentioned was the high divorce rate and increased bad health of these sups and managers..They get stressed from big bosses and become fat*****es becauses they aren't in daily package car shape..

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In all seriousness....over the last 26 years I have seen a number of good people go into management with the mistaken idea that they were somehow going to "make things better". Their intentions were honorable...but they learned all too quickly that the system they were submitting themselves to is designed to prevent that very thing from ever happening. The reality is that you will never be a "manager" in the traditional sense of the word, because that title implies having the ability to make an operational decision of some sort. What you will actually be...is a facilitator. You will run someone elses plan, and your role will be to communicate someone elses decisions to the work group. You will have the responsibility for making the plan work, but you will be denied the resources and decision-making authority that are needed to make that possible. If that is truly the career you wish to pursue then good luck to you, but at the very least you need to go into it with your eyes wide open as to what the job itself actually entails.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
In all seriousness....over the last 26 years I have seen a number of good people go into management with the mistaken idea that they were somehow going to "make things better". Their intentions were honorable...but they learned all too quickly that the system they were submitting themselves to is designed to prevent that very thing from ever happening. The reality is that you will never be a "manager" in the traditional sense of the word, because that title implies having the ability to make an operational decision of some sort. What you will actually be...is a facilitator. You will run someone elses plan, and your role will be to communicate someone elses decisions to the work group. You will have the responsibility for making the plan work, but you will be denied the resources and decision-making authority that are needed to make that possible. If that is truly the career you wish to pursue then good luck to you, but at the very least you need to go into it with your eyes wide open as to what the job itself actually entails.

I think the OP was either a troll or didn't hear what they wanted to so decided not to come back.

It's frustrating when you try to warn someone when they are about to do something very wrong and they won't listen.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think the OP was either a troll or didn't hear what they wanted to so decided not to come back.

It's frustrating when you try to warn someone when they are about to do something very wrong and they won't listen.

Or he could have gone back in his cave hiding from risk and trying to accomplish anything as a person.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Or he could have gone back in his cave hiding from risk and trying to accomplish anything as a person.

There are many areas of life---in church, in the community, in the family---where a motivated individual who applies himself and gives 110% can make a positive and lasting impact.

UPS operations, unfortunately, is not one of those places.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

He came on here asking our opinions about being a driver sup. we gave them to him and he basically said your wrong.

That's fine but why come here and ask for opinions then.

I know management worked out well for you hoax but you have to admit in the new ups unless your planning on using supervision as a stepping stone to another career. What advantages does it offer now over being a union employee?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
There are many areas of life---in church, in the community, in the family---where a motivated individual who applies himself and gives 110% can make a positive and lasting impact.

UPS is not one of those places.

I agree sober ... just busting the chops of those who don't accept management as a role in which the same thing can be accomplished.

I was in management 36 of my 40 years at UPS and found it to be a fulfilling experience even though I tried to keep it balanced.

I believe that people who say they don't get some sense of fulfillment and self-actualization from their jobs are are deceiving themselves or just blowing smoke. I know from reading your comments over the years that yoou do get a sense of satisfaction and fulfillment from your job at UPS ... and a great deal of frustration as well.

I was always willing to accept my role within the UPS system and did not feel the UPS system had to conform to my concepts of what it should be.
Therefore, I did not feel frustrated that often at UPS ... my frustrations usually came from dealing with difficult people (never my boss) in performing my job responsibilities.

island1fox

I really have to laugh at all the "Expert Management Consultants" here.

I was a part timer and a driver ---also drove feeders for a short time. I spent many years in Management at many different levels in many different states and three different countries.

Going into management was a difficult decision but lead to a rewarding and interesting career with many friends --both managements and hourly all over the world.

A UPS job is not easy --it is a very demanding Company. Just as we demand Honesty , Integrity and a hard days work from all union employees --the EXACT same goes for all management.

Some people go into Management for the wrong reasons and fail --others become very successful.

I have to laugh when the same people one hand say that a mgmt job is terrible, cannot lead or make decisions etc etc.---on the other hand all succesful mgmt people are dishonest, dictators, do not know the job etc etc . ?????

If you do not understand ---I will make it simple: Negotiations
Some of the same "EXPERTS" claim Company does not get serious to final weeks ----next day say --Company wants early negotiations to finish quick so that they do not lose volume --?????

My Advice --On your career --Listen to yourself ,Family and Trusted friends.:peaceful:

Bizzob232

2nd generation UPSer
Not a troll at all, I have a superb day job driving a large brown truck and a family to care for when that's done. I asked for opinions, and as everyone is aware opinions are like you know what. I didn't say anyone was wrong, I merely offered a counterpoint based on my knowledge, the knowledge of the several sups and managers that I've consulted, and the knowledge of my father, a upser for 25 years. I work on the eastern shore of Maryland and most would agree, small centers are universally recognized as more workplace friendly for union and non union employees. I've read alot of posts that are bizarre, exaggerated, and down right unbelievable in the union and partners portions of this site based on my personal experience. My intentions were to weed out the "what are you? An idiot?" posts with posts filled with actual substance. Thank you to those of you with the courtesy to do so.

Bad Gas!

I really have to laugh at all the "Expert Management Consultants" here.

I was a part timer and a driver ---also drove feeders for a short time. I spent many years in Management at many different levels in many different states and three different countries.

Going into management was a difficult decision but lead to a rewarding and interesting career with many friends --both managements and hourly all over the world.

A UPS job is not easy --it is a very demanding Company. Just as we demand Honesty , Integrity and a hard days work from all union employees --the EXACT same goes for all management.

Some people go into Management for the wrong reasons and fail --others become very successful.

I have to laugh when the same people one hand say that a mgmt job is terrible, cannot lead or make decisions etc etc.---on the other hand all succesful mgmt people are dishonest, dictators, do not know the job etc etc . ?????

If you do not understand ---I will make it simple: Negotiations
Some of the same "EXPERTS" claim Company does not get serious to final weeks ----next day say --Company wants early negotiations to finish quick so that they do not lose volume --?????

My Advice --On your career --Listen to yourself ,Family and Trusted friends.:peaceful:

Troll alert..They are running out of Brown Koolaid on this post!!!

island1fox

Upstate,

A fair and honest question .

You have children and have probably heard that "You were never my age"

Would you prefer to be a child growing up in the Leave it to Beaver world or in the land of the Jersey shore ?

Not trying to be a wise guy but that is a very complex question.

Times do change along with technology and of course leadership.

When Jack Rogers was CEO --believe me --it was all production --curfews-warning letters etc etc. Oz Nelson definitely introduced a much more "Service" orientated approach. Mike Eschew took the lead on technology.
If you are firm but fair have people skills,communication skills,organizational skills have a high tolerance for long hours and many re-locations--the rewards both financially and satisfying are tremendous.

I completely enjoyed working with UPSers --beside my wife ,family and God--one of the highlites of my time on this earth.

It would be very difficult for me to tell you that I would not make the move today ---public company or private --production emphasis or service --the real focus are the people--UPS has thousands of great ones --the hardest workers in the Industry --I am sure even with the increasing costs of labor through contracts ---I would find the majority of People that succeed "working together"

"Determined People working together can accomplish anything"

Bizzob232

2nd generation UPSer
Passed all the tests and had job offered to me but turned it down. I'm glad I did now seeing the quit smoking propaganda and the loss of spouse insurance. The overwhelming negatives became even more overwhelming. Cheers to another 25 years in brown!

preload1

Bizzob,
If you are seriously looking for a career and security for your family then I would say go for it. I am a retired UPSer after 32 years of service. I started as Christmas help in '77 and was called back in January of '78. I went from p/t hourly to p/t supervision to friend/t package car driver to friend/t supervision to Center Manager. The education you will receive in people skills as a supervisor and manager are priceless. If you get the chance to go into I.E. take it. I spent ten years of my 32 years in I.E. I went from not knowing how to turn on a computer to writing programs and teaching classes on computers and people skills for p/t and friend/t management. Helping to implement PAS in my District was a highlight. Most of my career was spent in operations. So I was able to see both sides of UPS.
Understand you need to let people know what you want to do in your career but it can be much more exciting than having your Next Day Airs delivered by 10:30.
Don't EVER forget where you came from. As a friend/t driver you must realize that you are the final link in the service process. You need to wear that face everyday of your career. Whether you are in Package, Hub, Air, I.E., B.D., Security etc. Don't EVER forget where you came from and how you arrived at where you are. Otherwise you will fail.
The reward's, as Jim Casey was fond of saying, come at the end. And they will for you and your family.
Good luck to you. I hope you succeed greatly. Remember that by building up others, you also build up yourself. It is not an easy journey. Keep your family, your employees and yourself (in that order) in perspective and you will realize your dreams.

preload1

I don't even have a job with UPS yet, but everything I've read so far says supervision sucks. If you have any management that you've fallen out with, they may be trying to get you over to "the dark side" so they can fire you easier lol.

Idk if that's just paranoid crappy employee's speaking there though.

BTW, I'm 410 too. Going in for the tour tomorrow....hope I can get the job! Seems cool. Whereabouts in MD are ya if you don't mind me asking?
Skip the tour loser. UPS doesn't need any more whiners. Go work at 7-11. UPS is for hard workers who want to better themselves. 7-11 is for ....well people who know how to have a knack for saying, "Is that everything"? Much like yourself.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Skip the tour loser. UPS doesn't need any more whiners. Go work at 7-11. UPS is for hard workers who want to better themselves. 7-11 is for ....well people who know how to have a knack for saying, "Is that everything"? Much like yourself.

"Remember that by building up others, you also build up yourself". Nice people skills. Lol.

BrownBetty

If I had it to do again, I would have stayed a driver and went into feeders. Worked for the company for 10 years, management for 9. I moved up fast. Was a management fast track candidate and ultimately told them to remove me from the ready now list. The overall benefits to you and your personal life are stronger with an hourly position. The pay is better as well. You are well protected in mngmt and needn't worry about getting fired, just ridiculously stressful and you will take it home. Remember there no turning back from hourly to salary.