FT Package finally!!!!

UPSGUY72

I will be FT cover driver just to clarify with the hopes our centers are so short I will get to bid sooner than later on a route.I agree this time of year sucks to be doing anything let alone a new driver with the attitude if I make threw peak the rest will be cake...lol.I am in Indianapolis 81st hub.I appreciate the overhelming amount of help thank you all for your help!!!Tips for it getting dark so early????Flashlights...etc???

I don't take my lunch break untill after I drop my helper off which is after dark taking lunch during the daylight is a waste of time especially if your don't know the area. Where you can do 30-40 stop an hr with a helper in day light at night that is cut in half if not more especially if you don't know the area really well.

Some drivers use little head lamps I use a small maglite to look for number when needed other than that I don't use a light. I make sure that I have all my package sorted before its get dark even with ights in the back it's still a pain in the a-- to sort at night as the light at the rear of the car usually is just blinding you.

I will be FT cover driver just to clarify with the hopes our centers are so short I will get to bid sooner than later on a route.I agree this time of year sucks to be doing anything let alone a new driver with the attitude if I make threw peak the rest will be cake...lol.I am in Indianapolis 81st hub.I appreciate the overhelming amount of help thank you all for your help!!!Tips for it getting dark so early????Flashlights...etc???
The first thing that comes to mind with it getting dark and having to deliver is just to not let it bother you. Being a ups driver means that you are going to be delivering in the dark for a couple
of decades. So what I'm saying is get used to it and learn
to like it I do. Where I'm at there is no street lights and the driveways are long. Even before I got
my route and really knew my area well I got used to the dark and learned to embrace it and sort of like it.

You will be fine if you adopt this approach.

YesYouDidPushAButton

My number 1 pet peave on my route is numbers no visible. I have long dark driveways, 65mph 2 lane road with no shoulder or place to turn around. If you miss an address because of no numbers, I'm typically pretty pissed off....

I enjoy the dark. My route is 50/50% city/rural. Some long dark dark dirtroad driveways, the other half is gated and commercial. I know the route well, I've got a badass 2million candlepower light, it's brighter than the sun. I use it to look for addresses not on the mailbox, door, or plain sight. I make sure it makes it into the windows too so when they bitch, I bitch back about no numbers.

In my P12 or other trucks without the seperate dome/cargo light switches, I unplug the front light, and leave the back light on. In the dark, when you open the bulkhead door, the light is already on, and pull the door closed behind me without having fumble for the switch.

I also slap and scan a blank infonotice on signature packages ready to fill out. If I dont see a car, or other sign of life, I'm already filling it out on the walk up. Knock, yell, stick, go, and service cross on the walk back. If I see a car, of the deadbolt not locked, I wait, but no sign of life, your ass better run to the door. You can scan if a notice even if you dont plan to use it. If you scan the notice and someone still signs, you stop complete it like usual. But if it's scanned on the walk, it's one less thing to do. I write it out on the walk, bang on the door, stick, NI1, stop complete.

Cold weather, even in Florida here, the dry weather and the cardboard boxes, does a number on my hands. My skin cracks around my nails, and I find myself damaging the skin on my key fingers (bulkhead and ignition) on each hand. Very painfull. My wife insists I take lotion with me, and I do. Much better.

Bring plenty of water with you, and some healthy snacks. The more frequently you snack while moving, the faster your metabolism works, the more energy you'll have, the better your mood too. Drink water till it's near clear. Avoid soda at all costs. I'm no health nut but I eat fruit, drink water, and bring some sandwiches with me. Eating out isnt the best for you, and the cost adds up FAST.

Take your breaks, do your pretrip, and unfortunatly watch your back. I do it by the book, I average .50-.80 over every day, but I make 9.5 and dont cause problems. They leave me alone. Show up 15 minutes early, get ice, put your stuff away, setup your radio, and relax for a couple minutes. Dont bother sorting the truck or checking airs off the clock. I used to, than they started expecting it and would send the preloader home 20 minutes early every day knowing I'd finish the truck.

Be polite and courteous of other drivers on the road. Road rage isnt worth it. Remember the only important person when you're on the clock is numero uno. Stay out of peoples way when possible (right lane), signal, follow the laws and dont worry about people stuck behind you. Take corners slowly and gently, and stop carefully. Communicate with your preloader too, I've had decent luck. I tip them at christmas time, and let them have it when their :censored2:ty load causes me to have a :censored2:ty day.

Thats probably all I got. It comes with experiance. I've been on the road full time 10 years now.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
take care of your feet.
its a marathon not a race
its just a job, and you only have to listen to them scream about numbers for five minutes in the morning then your on your own
expect to work until at least 8 every night even after peak, that way if you do get done early its a surprise
your never gonna be good enough, so do your best and be content with that
treat every dog as if it will bite until you know which ones love to see you coming, carry treats
a nice pair of gloves helps keep your hands from getting chapped/cracked in the brutal cold, chap stick etc
a 4 cell maglite makes finding houses in the dark easier as well as an excellent "dog be good"stick

Last edited:

Re-Raise

Another tip for delivering after dark Kyle. There is a way to light up the keys on the DIAD by pushing the the key second from the top on the far left twice and then the key above it twice. Better yet ask one of the senior drivers to show you.

If you already know about this great, but I am amazed how many of our newer drivers have never been told about it.

Good luck , remember safety first and one package at a time.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
My tip to the new guys is to find a way to adopt the mindset that you have no control over what time you will finish on any given day.
By that I mean make no time specific plans for after work.
I hear it all the time about how "I have a family, kids, etc" so I have to run.
This job probably won't afford you the privilege of being your kids little league coach.
You will be off every weekend and enjoy a fairly generous vacation schedule though.
Try to remember that this job is a marathon, not a sprint.
Many drivers take years to come to this realization, some never do.
The ones that do, find it liberating and lucrative.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My tip to the new guys is to find a way to adopt the mindset that you have no control over what time you will finish on any given day.
By that I mean make no time specific plans for after work.
I hear it all the time about how "I have a family, kids, etc" so I have to run.
This job probably won't afford you the privilege of being your kids little league coach.
You will be off every weekend and enjoy a fairly generous vacation schedule though.
Try to remember that this job is a marathon, not a sprint.
Many drivers take years to come to this realization, some never do.
The ones that do, find it liberating and lucrative.

Well said. Takes alot of pressure off. You need an understanding wife though.

jalnar

Treat the route as your own business.If you always say to you self WERE AM I. WERE DO I NEED TO GO .TO AND HOW DO I GET THEIR Meaning always think 5 stops ahead and were is the delivery point for each stop Saftey is the key but dont skip your lunch and break.

Kylew

Thank you everyone!!!I report to my center tomorrow at 9am will keep you posted on how it's going and probably many more question :)Have a safe week.

stringerman85

Sounds like seasonal driving to me. I just don't want you to get your hopes too high because anything can happen after peak season...And I think it's 60 days now to gain seniority...Good luck, this is good experience regardless.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
So let see do you fill out the dr notice or leave it blank ? Does the helper scan it or you? If the peson isn't there does the helper fill out the dr notice? I supose if your helper knows how to use the diad more than just scanning a package it might work. Than again he is going have to know how to fill out the dr notice correctly also. Unless you are leaving blank dr notices like FED EX.

If a residential delivery needs a signature I just do it myself it's easier.
Im not talking about with a jumper, just how I do it all yr. I have many, many sig stops. So as Im grabbing a pkg, off the shelf I grab a dr notice on the way out, off a shelf where I leave some, stick it on the pkg, and fill it out while I am waiting to see if they are home. It is easier for me than fumbling for one out of my pocket. Especially with layers of clothes. It may not work for everyone, it isnt rocket science, it just works for me.

UPSGUY72

Im not talking about with a jumper, just how I do it all yr. I have many, many sig stops. So as Im grabbing a pkg, off the shelf I grab a dr notice on the way out, off a shelf where I leave some, stick it on the pkg, and fill it out while I am waiting to see if they are home. It is easier for me than fumbling for one out of my pocket. Especially with layers of clothes. It may not work for everyone, it isnt rocket science, it just works for me.

IN that case it would work I'll have to give it a try.

DS

Fenderbender
Tooner you are confusing me:sad-little:By dr notice do you mean an info notice?
If so, I do the same thing.I go so far as to prescan info notices and all the resi pkgs for sig req del, at dusk.When its dark I can slap it on the door and I'm outta there ...

Kylew

I survived the week!!!I have averaged about 90 stops and 60 pick ups a day had some late nights and a few early ones next week I will be solo. We will see how it goes thanks for all the tips some of them really helped this week.