FT Package finally!!!!

whiskey

My number 1 pet peave on my route is numbers no visible. I have long dark driveways, 65mph 2 lane road with no shoulder or place to turn around. If you miss an address because of no numbers, I'm typically pretty pissed off....

I enjoy the dark. My route is 50/50% city/rural. Some long dark dark dirtroad driveways, the other half is gated and commercial. I know the route well, I've got a badass 2million candlepower light, it's brighter than the sun. I use it to look for addresses not on the mailbox, door, or plain sight. I make sure it makes it into the windows too so when they bitch, I bitch back about no numbers.

In my P12 or other trucks without the seperate dome/cargo light switches, I unplug the front light, and leave the back light on. In the dark, when you open the bulkhead door, the light is already on, and pull the door closed behind me without having fumble for the switch.

I also slap and scan a blank infonotice on signature packages ready to fill out. If I dont see a car, or other sign of life, I'm already filling it out on the walk up. Knock, yell, stick, go, and service cross on the walk back. If I see a car, of the deadbolt not locked, I wait, but no sign of life, your ass better run to the door. You can scan if a notice even if you dont plan to use it. If you scan the notice and someone still signs, you stop complete it like usual. But if it's scanned on the walk, it's one less thing to do. I write it out on the walk, bang on the door, stick, NI1, stop complete.

Cold weather, even in Florida here, the dry weather and the cardboard boxes, does a number on my hands. My skin cracks around my nails, and I find myself damaging the skin on my key fingers (bulkhead and ignition) on each hand. Very painfull. My wife insists I take lotion with me, and I do. Much better.

Bring plenty of water with you, and some healthy snacks. The more frequently you snack while moving, the faster your metabolism works, the more energy you'll have, the better your mood too. Drink water till it's near clear. Avoid soda at all costs. I'm no health nut but I eat fruit, drink water, and bring some sandwiches with me. Eating out isnt the best for you, and the cost adds up FAST.

Take your breaks, do your pretrip, and unfortunatly watch your back. I do it by the book, I average .50-.80 over every day, but I make 9.5 and dont cause problems. They leave me alone. Show up 15 minutes early, get ice, put your stuff away, setup your radio, and relax for a couple minutes. Dont bother sorting the truck or checking airs off the clock. I used to, than they started expecting it and would send the preloader home 20 minutes early every day knowing I'd finish the truck.

Be polite and courteous of other drivers on the road. Road rage isnt worth it. Remember the only important person when you're on the clock is numero uno. Stay out of peoples way when possible (right lane), signal, follow the laws and dont worry about people stuck behind you. Take corners slowly and gently, and stop carefully. Communicate with your preloader too, I've had decent luck. I tip them at christmas time, and let them have it when their :censored2:ty load causes me to have a :censored2:ty day.

Thats probably all I got. It comes with experiance. I've been on the road full time 10 years now.

Man, that was one of the best, if not "the" best post I have ever read on BC. Truly awesome. Thank you.

MSGTDEL

Congratulations, my advise would be to get into the habit of documenting significant events that occur during your day on area. I say this so that you can have accurate recall in case you are called on the carpet in the center manager's office for your side (they may have different facts) one morning. When I drove in Atlanta, I took a picture of a crappy load before I went on area. I was questioned the next morning by the center manager about my number the day before. I showed him the picture from my cell phone of the load from the day before. I believe the picture helped my case that morning. Just keep in mind that they have lots of records and list they could keep you on. Fly under the radar as much as you can, don't draw attention to yourself if possible. You'll do just fine. Sorry if I repeated what was already said. I wish you the best.