Full-Time Bid/Seasonal Driving

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The grievance I see is how can they deny you FT and seasonal but yet you're ok for Air driving? Either your problems make you ineligible to drive a company vehicle or they don't. They shouldn't pick and choose.

No like I said earlier. U have to have a clean driving record for 3 years to drive full time. You can get a ticket that wouldn't disqualify u from air driving but would disqualify you from full time.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
The grievance I see is how can they deny you FT and seasonal but yet you're ok for Air driving? Either your problems make you ineligible to drive a company vehicle or they don't. They shouldn't pick and choose.

A DUI within the last three years will impede a PT air driver's ability to sign bids for TCD, seasonal & permanent FT driving. 6+ points accumulated since that PT air driver began air driving will also block them. It's been that way throughout my career and I'm certain it's been (unsuccessfully) argued at panel before. I'm also curious why that is. Once a TCD has gained seniority, he/she does not need to repeat it when becoming FT. But get a DUI and...

My point is I'm a business owner. I have a person working for me without a clean driving record. Do I restrict him from driving my vehicles (for me it would be the liability) or just some of my vehicles? How can it matter for some positions but not another?

Buck Fifty

My point is I'm a business owner. I have a person working for me without a clean driving record. Do I restrict him from driving my vehicles (for me it would be the liability) or just some of my vehicles? How can it matter for some positions but not another?

​Definitely worth running up the flag pole.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

I agree with you. But you need to meet the same requirements for PT driving as you do FT. It's just that the union has conceded that FT is a completely different world from PT, and that PTers are essentially re-applying for FT & meeting the same requirements as an off-the-street hire. It's possible - and probable - that a PT air driver could be pulling Ground some days, but blocked from TCD/seasonal/permanent FT driving due to something on their background check that developed since they became PT air driver. The union will essentially protect a PT driver/keep them in that job, but those protections don't continue when they try to go FT. Silly, I agree.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I didn't see this posting earlier: from what I read, the (reporting) situation is slightly ambiguous but the good news is that your case is cut & dry - the bad news is but not in your favor.

Until your court supervision is up -- in a year, since this just happened unfortunately -- the SOS will report the DUI on your driving record with the court supervision noted in the remarks. This means that UPS now knows that you plead guilty to a DUI (even though you weren't legally convicted) and courts have ruled that they can legally hold you responsible for it. What becomes ambiguous is that a year from now it'll be purged from your driving record, but still available in alternate public records (as DUI are not expunged). Which records UPS purchases access to would be the unknown, but it's not relevant since they ran your record, it showed up (because it's still under supervision), they know about it and can hold you responsible for it. I wouldn't bother filing a grievance. If you need reassurance, talk to your business agent instead - I doubt you're the first person to run into this.

About ten years ago, on the night he turned 21, a friend of mine got an OWI in Iowa (DUI equivalent). At the time, if a first-time offender paid a fine & signed-up for classes, the offense was completely expunged from his record. So much that when he got his second DUI a year later in a neighboring state, he was once again treated as a first-time offender. I believe the laws in IA have since been strengthened.
OUI and DWI are very different offenses here.