full time driver. gets into an accident. first day. please help

garry

I was attending my orientation for a full time driver position. Today was last day of my orientation and while returning home i got into a car accident. i was at fault, luckily no one was injured. Cop gave me a ticket. I am going to start my job on tommorow as full time driver at UPS.

im really stressed about if im going to keep this job or will they fire me for this. because my probation period is going to start tommorow. any answers about that....accident happened while off duty what policy UPS have in this case. please help guys.

brown67

Should be fine. Not sure how it works now, but had to have a year clear of tickets before you start driving. Once you are in orientation I think you are fine. Every year you have to fill out a form and declare any tickets you have had in the last year, but that is filled out in Jan. Never lie on that form, because it will get you fired if it's not accurate. If your license is ever revoked than you have to tell them. Not sure about a DUI . May have to report those. I don't drink so I've never been concerned about that.

UPS doesn't care about accidents outside of work unless you lose your license. It only cares about accidents during work in their trucks. Always report those when they happen no matter how small.

Rule of thumb at UPS is this: If they ask for it than give it to them. If they don't than don't worry about it. Never lie. If the bid sheet said clear of tickets for the last year and you were than fine. If they don't ask again than don't volunteer unless if affects your license. Suspended or revoked. If they bring it up during orientation than tell them.

You won't get fired for a accident outside of work. Worse case they might make you wait a year til you can drive again. Make them ask. That's my opinion.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Get that out of your system now. Don't do that crap while you're driving the big brown truck, for goodness sake! They take that real serious.

jaker

trolling
Not sure about a DUI . May have to report those. I don't drink so I've never been concerned about that.
This right here made me laugh

You will report or tell ups about the other things but a DUI you don't know , I would think a DUI is a lot more serious then a speeding ticket

And by the way I do drink but I don't drink and drive see how that works

raceanoncr

Do you have date to turn in your ticket with admission of guilt? Are you going to court? Are you going to fight it? My point is: You are probably not convicted yet.

You are still innocent until convicted. In other words, as far as court goes, you have not committed this. You have to be tried. The trial being, in some cases, admitting your guilt by sending in payment on ticket and moving on. You are then convicted.

As far as UPS is concerned and your new driving job is concerned, it hasn't happened yet. You still haven't been convicted. Unless, of course, you've already sent in your payment (if that was an option).

The DOT certification that we were all required to sign annually asked the question with the phrasing "CONVICTED" of, not pending.

I know, some on here will get on and argue about this so go ahead. This is what happens here and always HAS happened here. You or anyone else don't like this comment...simply don't pay attention to it.

oldngray

nowhere special
Do you have date to turn in your ticket with admission of guilt? Are you going to court? Are you going to fight it? My point is: You are probably not convicted yet.

You are still innocent until convicted. In other words, as far as court goes, you have not committed this. You have to be tried. The trial being, in some cases, admitting your guilt by sending in payment on ticket and moving on. You are then convicted.

As far as UPS is concerned and your new driving job is concerned, it hasn't happened yet. You still haven't been convicted. Unless, of course, you've already sent in your payment (if that was an option).

The DOT certification that we were all required to sign annually asked the question with the phrasing "CONVICTED" of, not pending.

I know, some on here will get on and argue about this so go ahead. This is what happens here and always HAS happened here. You or anyone else don't like this comment...simply don't pay attention to it.

Here 1st offense DUI's are frequently plea bargained down to reckless operation.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I hope you didn't have that bottle of Jack Daniels in your hand before your accident! Sorry, I just had to comment on your choice of an avatar. I hope your accident was a minor one and perhaps you won't be charged with points on your driving record. I don't know exactly how the company treats a unique situation like yours. But like a few others stated, never lie because then it becomes an integrity issue that will be used against you.

garry

Should be fine. Not sure how it works now, but had to have a year clear of tickets before you start driving. Once you are in orientation I think you are fine. Every year you have to fill out a form and declare any tickets you have had in the last year, but that is filled out in Jan. Never lie on that form, because it will get you fired if it's not accurate. If your license is ever revoked than you have to tell them. Not sure about a DUI . May have to report those. I don't drink so I've never been concerned about that.

UPS doesn't care about accidents outside of work unless you lose your license. It only cares about accidents during work in their trucks. Always report those when they happen no matter how small.

Rule of thumb at UPS is this: If they ask for it than give it to them. If they don't than don't worry about it. Never lie. If the bid sheet said clear of tickets for the last year and you were than fine. If they don't ask again than don't volunteer unless if affects your license. Suspended or revoked. If they bring it up during orientation than tell them.

You won't get fired for a accident outside of work. Worse case they might make you wait a year til you can drive again. Make them ask. That's my opinion.
If I work good and hard for these three months. I think they wont fire me. Also I wanna ask if u know, do they check ur driver abstract randomly?

garry

I hope you didn't have that bottle of Jack Daniels in your hand before your accident! Sorry, I just had to comment on your choice of an avatar. I hope your accident was a minor one and perhaps you won't be charged with points on your driving record. I don't know exactly how the company treats a unique situation like yours. But like a few others stated, never lie because then it becomes an integrity issue that will be used against you.
No I wasn't drunk. This is the old picture of me. I don't drive when Im drunk. I had no accidents or any tickets in past 3 years. Btw they asked for my driver abstract at interview and at that time it was clear. So I dont think they are going to check it any time sooner than 3 months. Cause thats when my probation period end. And if I work hard and drive well for 3 months, chances are they won't terminate my employment. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated buddy.

garry

Yes im not convicted until I pay my ticket. Im going to pay it soon and also Im thinking about taking a defensive driving course from AMA. That will help me reduce my demerit points. Back to question, I was asking if I got convicted then what?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Well, what do u mean by "get that out of my system"?
I meant if you're going to speed or have an accident, do it in your own wheels, not when you're driving a brown vehicle. You can't afford to be getting points on your license when you drive for a living. Besides, what I said was tongue in cheek. Lighten up.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Didn't anyone tell you that the company monitors this site ?
Change that picture quickly .
Never post anything to connect you to your postings .

ArcherUTR

Yes im not convicted until I pay my ticket. Im going to pay it soon and also Im thinking about taking a defensive driving course from AMA. That will help me reduce my demerit points. Back to question, I was asking if I got convicted then what?

You are guilty once you sign a affidavit stating that you plead 'No Contest', 'Guilty', or when a judge finally signs it for you because you are avoiding the court system. It's not about 'paying' them.

If you wanted to prolong this process you can plead 'Not Guilty' and request a 'Trial By Jury'. You can probably at some reasonable point push back the trial date to extend the wait further. At this point you have probably pissed off the District Attorney but he still may offer a 'Pre-trial Diversion' or 'Deferred Adjudication'. Or if it's a minor ticket, you can say :censored2: it and risk going to trial to see if the police officer offering testimony happens to not show up.