Full time driving

Eviloreo

hello fellow UPSers

ive been working at UPS part time for nearly 6 years and finally put my name up for a full time driving position (bid sheet). I am sure most of you know the requirements, no tickets, no traffic violations within (3 years?), pass your state DoT physical etc. etc. -BE ABLE TO DRIVE A MANUAL-.

Luckily i made friend with my coworkers over the years and one offered to teach me how to do it (another part timer who went full time driving). At this point in time, i feel pretty proficient with the basics, given that i am a car theft, i feel i can easily drive his car back to my home.

That said i am still worried about the hiring process, as of now i maybe have 3 hours of total stick shift driving experience. Is this enough to get me into the UPS driving classes (in which i assume i will be exposed to more stick driving with actual UPS package cars)? Also, the biggest thing ive driven up to this point in my life is a minivan, am i kinda out my league in terms of driving experience for a new hire UPS driver? thanks for replys.

CAFAL

First of all,the driving is the easiest part. You need yo know the DOK completely to pass the school. The driving will come. You'll probably be in a different truck everyday when you come out.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I learned to drive a pkg car by delivering Saturday airs. also in my bluiding there are no stick shifts they have all been replaced.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I learned to drive a pkg car by delivering Saturday airs. also in my bluiding there are no stick shifts they have all been replaced.

The new guys have it easy, never knowing that it was like driving those beast with no power steering, have to push the clutch 100 times a day and those 2' steps.

jaker

trolling
The new guys have it easy, never knowing that it was like driving those beast with no power steering, have to push the clutch 100 times a day and those 2' steps.
No they will never know the 1982 p800 and above with a stick , no power steering and the 20ft jump out of it

OptimusPrime

No they will never know the 1982 p800 and above with a stick , no power steering and the 20ft jump out of it

Driving something similar right now. There is a sticker from 1989 in the rear of the truck, but I think it is younger than the truck. I think it's bigger than a P800, don't really know the difference. Basically one of the longest PC's we have, has the step down area in the rear, with a roll up door. No power steering, no hydraulic clutch. Technically a 4 speed, but 1 is basically a "granny gear". Feel like jumping out of a plane when you get out of it. Horrible turning radius. Can't even swing around in a residential court. 3 point turn if I'm lucky and it's a large court.

OptimusPrime

Btw, for all these old timer stories, seems you guys don't always tell the whole deal. Have talked to older drivers. They talk about 80 stop days, and at the end of 8 hours, if it wasn't done, you just brought it back to the building, no questions asked.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Btw, for all these old timer stories, seems you guys don't always tell the whole deal. Have talked to older drivers. They talk about 80 stop days, and at the end of 8 hours, if it wasn't done, you just brought it back to the building, no questions asked.
Yeah, I don't think so. Used to be no such thing as EC or "Future". (Notice quotes) BUT, I think that it is a good thing that the new vehicles are the way they are. I, for one, do not want to see the "young guy" have to "suffer" just because their predecessors did. Makes me wish I was a farmer sometimes.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Didn't bring it back but getting done in 8 wasn't that big of a deal. Now it's the exception. I have an 8 hour tomorrow and asked for 80 stops. Boss said 90.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Didn't bring it back but getting done in 8 wasn't that big of a deal. Now it's the exception. I have an 8 hour tomorrow and asked for 80 stops. Boss said 90.
. And if you need to bring those 10 back for your 8.0 do it. I did just that Tuesday. Got screwed with an 11 plus hour day Wednesday but oh well.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
To the OP I too freaked out pretty good about driving the big trucks. Took me maybe a week to get used to it. Now I look back and can't believe I ever worried about driving any of them it's second nature now. As far as a stick shift goes you will be fine I taught myself to drive one in an afternoon. Your first day or 2 may be rough but it will get easy fast.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's not true---you never just "brought it back to the building, no questions asked". Yes, the dispatches were lighter, but you still had to make an attempt on each and every package.

barnyard

KTM rider

They would if they work in Mn. All of the hubs in the cities and Duluth have them, as do the center I work out of. They give POS a bad name.

Eviloreo

thank you for all the replies, espically brownslave688,

from most of the old timers at my sort they seem to have the same additude in which us younger (generation) of drivers have it much easier than they did, and that driving is not the issue, it was the "depth and knowledge" crap that holds them back.

again thank you everyone who replied

Buck Fifty

Im pretty sure you can be disciplined for that. File the grievances. Make the extra dough. It will stop

Had 2 people not get their 8's today. Only 2 had them. I will file both in the morning. Cant wait to see the daily report to see 3 other guys work between 8.0 & 8.5. Its Hilarious. Up the penalty on the 8.0 day, I say.And I say to the Eviloreo, blow them away with the depth of knowledge and they will all have hard ones for ya.

Acc0rd

I see many people like you at my center, cant drive the sticks... I lol them. But honestly our center hasnt hired a new FT driver in over 6 years!!!!!!! With no plans to hire any for a few more years. We lost 6 routes when they moved one town over to another center and we have loads of old grampas who have well over 30 years and wont leave. Its a screwed up system so by the time they *the guys who cant drive stick* get to drive, all of the stick's will be gone! lol SAD