Full Time Helpers

Mike Hawk

In a dense resi area a helper is almost as good as a second truck, but a helper doesn't use gas. Helper doesn't need extra manpower on the preload either. Maybe they finally can send out loader with their drivers for a few days to see what a good load is and what is crap.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do the same helper rules apply as during peak (hours determined by mgt) or do they stay on the car with you the whole day?

I apologize for what may seem to be stupid questions but I am very curious as to how this works. Is the volume really that high in your bldg?

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Do the same helper rules apply as during peak (hours determined by mgt) or do they stay on the car with you the whole day?

I apologize for what may seem to be stupid questions but I am very curious as to how this works. Is the volume really that high in your bldg?

It appears to me you use the helper all day.I have seen trucks roll with between 150 to 240 stops.I was told the volume in my building has grown about 6% a year.(whatever that translates to I don't know) The volume really hasn't let up since October.

local804

In a dense resi area a helper is almost as good as a second truck, but a helper doesn't use gas. Helper doesn't need extra manpower on the preload either. Maybe they finally can send out loader with their drivers for a few days to see what a good load is and what is crap.

They used to send out loaders (with pay) many moons ago so they did get a first eye view of the situation. Those days are long long gone.......
Used to be times when loads were not to leave the building in piss poor condition and the sups used to have to clean em up, long gone also.

Things are different here in the LI district.(thanks to BC)

looper804

They used to send out loaders (with pay) many moons ago so they did get a first eye view of the situation. Those days are long long gone.......
Used to be times when loads were not to leave the building in piss poor condition and the sups used to have to clean em up, long gone also.

Things are different here in the LI district.(thanks to BC)
They have been using the loaders as helpers.They have been working full time hours for so many days they were going to make book anyway so I believe that is why these positions are being created.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I know of companies that will use overtime because it is cheaper to pay overtime to a driver than pay the benefits to another. I would think It would seem to be the same with this situation....And then comes the responsibility. for 25 cents less per hour, why take the drivers risk....

mathematics

ups logic at it's finest.

it's all about not putting out the extra loads becuase that costs more than using helpers. it's about aligning stops per car with the planned paid day. UPS makes how much profit yearly? UPS knows what it's doing when it makes decisions. FedEx loses a ton of money by building new facilities and then trying to plan to fill them. UPS runs a building until it bursts before building a 50 million dollar facility (cost of new queens nyc building is 57 million).Running helpers justifies not spending those tens of millions of dollars. The trade off is how long can it go on like that? The new building will be built for us in 2010. You just may not see the GLOBAL picture within your center.The country has approx. 6000-7000 centers. Do the math.

local804

it's all about not putting out the extra loads becuase that costs more than using helpers. it's about aligning stops per car with the planned paid day. UPS makes how much profit yearly? UPS knows what it's doing when it makes decisions. FedEx loses a ton of money by building new facilities and then trying to plan to fill them. UPS runs a building until it bursts before building a 50 million dollar facility (cost of new queens nyc building is 57 million).Running helpers justifies not spending those tens of millions of dollars. The trade off is how long can it go on like that? The new building will be built for us in 2010. You just may not see the GLOBAL picture within your center.The country has approx. 6000-7000 centers. Do the math.

If UPS knew what it was doing in this situation, they would have never shut down that building they had in the area a few moons back. You make it seem like UPS never makes mistakes and Fed Ex is full of em. Its either play catch up or protect the playing field and it looks like friend E is doing a pretty good job of catching up. Actually, UPS had approx 7-10 other buildings on the Island that they did shut down that could be justified. Shutting down the LAurel bld looked like a mistake.

cino321

If UPS knew what it was doing in this situation, they would have never shut down that building they had in the area a few moons back. You make it seem like UPS never makes mistakes and Fed Ex is full of em. Its either play catch up or protect the playing field and it looks like friend E is doing a pretty good job of catching up. Actually, UPS had approx 7-10 other buildings on the Island that they did shut down that could be justified. Shutting down the LAurel bld looked like a mistake.

From what I understand, they didn't shut it down, but their lease ran out. Still not a excuse for a company that could buy the whole block

local804

From what I understand, they didn't shut it down, but their lease ran out. Still not a excuse for a company that could buy the whole block

There were a bunch shut down at the same time including that one. Maybe they should of known to build another building before the lease expired. Either way, Foster and Maspeth are a damn disaster to work out of and a complete mess. Cant argue with those facts.

looper804

There were a bunch shut down at the same time including that one. Maybe they should of known to build another building before the lease expired. Either way, Foster and Maspeth are a damn disaster to work out of and a complete mess. Cant argue with those facts.
Yeah,but I wouldn't work anywhere else.

cino321

I would. I thought about transferring further east into the island. I also heard that the work load is heavier because of driver release. A lot of guys in my building transferred and came back.