Full-Time Mechanic to Full Time Driver...

Impex

Ive been an air driver now for 3 years and in march ill hit my 2.5 years as a cover driver. (still not a full time driver) my question is. If I where to go into a full time auto (package car) mechanic could I ever go to a full-time driving position? I know every local is different.(how do i get a 100% answer) I keep getting told 2 different things. I would much rather be a driver vs. mechanic but at the rate things are I'm probably looking at like another 5 years until I'm maybe offered a driver spot, and there might be a mechanic spot opening. I didn't drive for more than a week total this summer as a cover driver, and barely driving Saturdays as an air driver, so I'm barely driving and 12.77 in the hub just isn't cutting it. So how can i find out for sure???

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
who is this? HR?
Your business agent is the next step over your steward, and is not an employee of the company. He/she is the union rep. Find your steward and ask your questions if you don't get answers then go over the stewards head to the business agent.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Wait, i thought BA =

rampage__280x390_515866a.jpg

JonFrum

Impex, have you asked the mechanics? They should know.

Are they Teamsters or members of the International Association of Machinists (IAM)?

Check your regional Supplement under "mechanics" if they are Teamsters.

You say you've been with the company for at least three years and don't know what a business agent is? The business agent is YOUR representative with the company, HR is the company's rep.

raceanoncr

Here, again I say, HERE (!), we've had several people jump classifications. From package to feeders, from feeders back to package. From porter to package to feeders. From, of course, P/T to friend/T to back again. From P/T to mechanics to supe.

Here, yes, I said, HERE (!) it can be done, that is go to mechanics to driver. BUT, in all cases, it has been when that classification has been exhausted and nobody else has signed the bid, intent or eligibility sheet and to fulfill the (here) 6-1 requirement.

In other words, if you wanted to go from mechanics to feeders, for example, you would have to wait until the full-time package drivers list has been met. All those in package car that signed the feeder list. Then you could sign the feeder list.

dragracer66

I know if you are out of the metro jersey district you can do it because the mechanics are teamsters. I would go talk to the shop guys and find out if they are teamsters or machinists. If they are teamsters you would have a good chance. If they are machinists you have a better chance to hit your local lottery we can't change over.

In some Locals it's hard to tell 'em apart!
I sure do not disagree with that. Even in our local we have had times it wasn't easy. However over all it hasn't been too bad. I think the biggest place there is confusion is on the national level. Sometimes I wonder if Hoffa draws a monthly paycheck from UPS.

Go with mechanics. in our local 25 the mechanics can retire 30 years and out and get $7700 per month and drivers are at 30 years and out at $3500 so if you have that choice i would look into what the pension is in your area for both jobs then decide.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Go with mechanics. in our local 25 the mechanics can retire 30 years and out and get $7700 per month and drivers are at 30 years and out at $3500 so if you have that choice i would look into what the pension is in your area for both jobs then decide.

Are you talking about auto mechanics or plane mechanics? If you are talking auto I am kicking myself for not having paid attention in auto shop class.