Full-Time Supervisors Excluded From SRP

UPS Lifer

Our center manager thinks there will be a round 2 which will consist of EBO's for supervisors then demotions for mgrs who did not accept the EBO or severance/termination into the vacated supe positions.

That could happen or the lowest rated managers could just be laid off. Here is my thinking on that.

Example
I am talking to the lowest rated manager and I tell him/her that you will probably be laid off if you don't take to SPR or EBO. Well, they decide to take their chance. I have no remorse in laying them off. If there is a supervisor position open on the other side of the district and they want to relocate there using their own finances to do it. ... that might work also.

BUT - I am not going to spend any more money than necessary to achieve my goal.

Do I think there is a stage two and stage three? Probably, but every stage costs the company more money and be guaranteed that the company is going to keep a tight reign on this.

Caution
Don't get your hopes up based on speculation and assumptions.
Don't assume there is going to be a stage two

Cezanne

So you are saying the redundant managers not eligible for the retirement package who are label for the SRP would be busted down to front line supervisors if they fail to read the writing on the wall. Not great news for the union workforce for obvious reasons.....:dead:

UPS Lifer

So you are saying the redundant managers not eligible for the retirement package who are label for the SRP would be busted down to front line supervisors if they fail to read the writing on the wall. Not great news for the union workforce for obvious reasons.....:dead:

Personally I think that this is a lot like the movie "Godfather". UPS is going to make you an offer you can't refuse!:knockedout: A redundant manager who is not eligible will be either put in a pool just like a bench or will replace a manager somewhere else or will be put in a supervisor position that requires his/her level of skill (while still being paid as a manager). This is similar to the "bench". The last resort will be to tell them "we don't have a position available for you at the manager level".

I also think that some will be put in positions where they will sink or swim. There will be others who can take over if they fail.

Also, this is not going to go on forever. Everything will shake out within 6 months with very few exceptions. A more normal pattern of movement will follow after that.

Also - the pool or bench will be a project that will needs attention that will help the P & L. This way there is no "dead weight" just sitting around not contributing.

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
This is not a buyout. It's a SRP. The SRP and the 1800 management/admin reductions are not directly connected. 1100 managers are offered the SRP based on age and age alone. After they determine how many took it, they will know how many more need to go. If none take it, they will be getting rid of 1800 people anyway. Just because you are offered the SRP doesn't mean you'll be the one to go. It also doesn’t mean you won't go.

As I read it though one of the factors in your decision should be to determine where you rank and rate for the remaining jobs.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This exercise is the real thing. The company has decided to cut jobs in a fashion that will keep the best managers and dump the rest. I'm guessing that lower rated divison and district managers will be encouraged to take advantage of the buyout offer.

I am skeptical of the manner in which the "best" will be judged.

An observation I have made over the last 23 years here is that we spend a lot of time chasing and manipulating numbers that really dont have anything to do with getting the packages delivered efficiently.

I truly hope we succeed. My fear is that the survivors wont actually be the "best" managers, instead they will be the ones who were cutthroat enough to either make themselves look better or make a rival look worse.

If I were king of UPS, compensation for management people would be based upon seniority plus profit sharing rather than level attained. And cutbacks would be handled the same way....an early buyout offer for those close to retirement, with subsequent layoffs being based upon seniority alone. The results would be equitable and transparent, and would eliminate the politics and number manipulations we are going to be seeing so much of in the weeks to come.