full to part time

L

lala

I have worked in international auditing for almost 3 years now. Been with Brown 30 years. because of some family issues I have requested to return to Preload. I have been told that once you go full time you can not return to part time work. I am ready to call my union, but am looking here first,any one know anything?> Thanks

E

eeriana

I believe that is true, you can't go back to part time. I would call your local to be sure but here you can't.

F

flupser

LaLa... I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE REST OF THE COUNTRY BUT IN FLORIDA YOU CAN'T GO BACK TO PART-TIME.IN FLORIDA,FEEDER DRIVERS CAN'T GO BACK TO PKG,HOWEVER THAT IS NOT THE CASE IN SOME NORTHERN STATES.CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL UNION OFFICE.YOU MIGHT TRY PLEADING FAMILY HARDSHIP AND SEE IF YOU HAVE ANY LUCK.

O

ok2bclever

It isn't addressed by the National Master Agreement (and not as least in my area supplement either), so it falls to UPS policy where they have the first and final say.

My understanding is they only allow it on a rare exception basis for health reasons.

B

brownny

<font color="000000"><font face="arial,helvetica"></font>here in upstate ny we had a female go from full-</font>}time to part-time because of family problems it can be done

U

ups_gregg

<font color="0000ff">Basically...if it's not stated in the union book then UPS can do whatever they want. Unfortunately it'll boil down to whether or not the people you contact in management and HR know anything about the procedure. And also whether or not they are willing to take the time to help make it happen. It's kinda like a p/t transfer. Most people know little about it even though it's in the book. Some sups will tell you you can't transfer even though they know you can just so they don't have to take the time to help make it happen. That or they don't want to lose you. I wouldn't ask if you can do it. I'd ask for them to look it up in both books right there in front of you. They have to show you what it says apposed to them just telling you what they want. If it isn't covered in any book then you should be able to work something out. </font>

S

someone

I asked our paid union steward. called the union hall and talked to hr and everyone at ups. If there is a way I would like to know.

Im not wanting to go back quite yet but maybe in the next 2 years. Looks like I will probably just end up quitting.

G

gman

We had a full time driver go back to a part time sup. He bought a business and needed the extra time to run it.

It will probably depend on how much they like you so be nice to everyone.

(Message edited by Gman on June 27, 2005)

C

crappie

where I am one way you can go back to part time time is a non work related medical condtion.

I have seen two drivers forced back to part time or face a possible termination.

O

over9five

I agree with Gman. Start kissing butt big time and humiliate yourself in front of your brothers.
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Good luck!

S

sendagain

I've seen it done when a driver was in a hold up, she went back to part time. However, she eventually became an air driver. It's all about who you know.