Funeral Leave Help

oldngray

nowhere special
When my father passed away in 2010, I had to travel 1000 miles.

They gave me 5 days off paid.

I kept a Mass card(with DOB and DOD) in my wallet in case they wanted proof. Thay never asked for proof.

My brothers employer wanted proof, so I gave him a copy of the death certificate.

The contract specifies the minimum but if there are special circumstances and your manager has compassion he can pay you for more. He isn't required to do so.

TheFigurehead

You are paid after the funeral if you have travel time. But if the funeral is near where you live there would be no paid travel time after the funeral.

But at the same time it guarantees 2 days before and 2 days after right before that, seemingly regardless of travel time... when they get to the part about travel, they state they will pay for only one day after, if travel is necessary, despite the earlier guarantee of two days following the service.

oldngray

nowhere special
But at the same time it guarantees 2 days before and 2 days after right before that, seemingly regardless of travel time... when they get to the part about travel, they state they will pay for only one day after, if travel is necessary, despite the earlier guarantee of two days following the service.

I had it both ways. I had them pay after when they didn't have to but I also only got paid for 2 days once.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm actually requesting bereavement leave today, so I'm glad this thread is here.

I'm not sure if everyone else's contract is the same, but ours states the following:

A regular full-time employee shall be guaranteed two (2) days off to be taken between the day of death and two (2) working days following the funeral provided the employee attends the funeral or other bereavement rite.

So it states 2 days before the service, then 2 after. It then goes on to state this:

Time off shall not extend beyond the day of the funeral unless an additional day is required for travel. In no event shall the compensated time off exceed four (4) scheduled workdays.

So what is it? Two days before and two after, or two days before and one after (I am, indeed, travelling, and it's a grandparent)? It's contradictory language... which part stands?

The part that says up to 4 days total.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
th

barnyard

KTM rider
Sorry for your loss.

Funeral leave is a lost time benefit. You are only paid for the days you miss, it is not like accrued vacation. In Central States, you would get 1 day, maybe an additional day for travel if your boss agreed to it.

clean hairy

If more time than the max of 4 days is required, it might still fall under Funeral leave, just unpaid after the 4 day limit.
Might check if your supplement has anything regarding funeral leave as well.

rod

Retired 22 years
Sorry for your loss.

Funeral leave is a lost time benefit. You are only paid for the days you miss, it is not like accrued vacation. In Central States, you would get 1 day, maybe an additional day for travel if your boss agreed to it.

I was in Central States. We always got up to 4 days paid (more if you had a good center manager). After that as much as you needed - unpaid. I had about a week and a half off when my Dad died (5 paid and the rest unpaid) because my Mother had died earlier so we had a lot of loose ends to tie up. I think the boss man felt sorry for me because at the time I was running a high mileage rural route and it took him close to 3 hours to track me down so I could get to the hospital (too late). That was before cell phones. He met me on route and he took the UPS truck and finished the route and I took his personal car and went to the hospital.

barnyard

KTM rider
The day my FIL passed, my wife called and said that he would probably die later in the afternoon. I called the center and told them to line someone up and that I would keep working till she called and take it from there. She called 2 hours later. I called the center and all the supes and center manager had gone home for the weekend (it was a Friday) and the OMS did not know anything about it. I told him to make some calls and 15 minutes later, the diad message was, "Finish your route."

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
A guy at my center said he had a funeral and management asked where they could "send flowers" a sup showed up to the funeral and the guy wasn't there...fired

km3

I was in Central States. We always got up to 4 days paid (more if you had a good center manager). After that as much as you needed - unpaid. I had about a week and a half off when my Dad died (5 paid and the rest unpaid) because my Mother had died earlier so we had a lot of loose ends to tie up. I think the boss man felt sorry for me because at the time I was running a high mileage rural route and it took him close to 3 hours to track me down so I could get to the hospital (too late). That was before cell phones. He met me on route and he took the UPS truck and finished the route and I took his personal car and went to the hospital.

Impressive. Safe to say they don't come like that anymore. Case and point...

The day my FIL passed, my wife called and said that he would probably die later in the afternoon. I called the center and told them to line someone up and that I would keep working till she called and take it from there. She called 2 hours later. I called the center and all the supes and center manager had gone home for the weekend (it was a Friday) and the OMS did not know anything about it. I told him to make some calls and 15 minutes later, the diad message was, "Finish your route."

So what did you do?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Truth be told, other than comforting your wife, was there really any need to take you off road early?

lovemyupser

My grandma died in may 2015 and she was cremated. We didn't have her funeral until July because our family lived all over the US. We had to drive from Alabama to texas for the funeral. We left on a Saturday and came back late on Wednesday. My husband went back to work on Friday. So you shouldn't have any issues.

km3

Truth be told, other than comforting your wife, was there really any need to take you off road early?

The news can rattle you mentally. Having emotional drivers on the road with 15000lbs+ of steel (truth be told, I don't know what package cars weigh) doesn't seem very safe.

Besides, it's the right thing to do.

barnyard

KTM rider
So what did you do?

I called the 2 guys that worked on either side of the route I was doing at the time. They split up my pickups, I finished delivering, skipped my lunch and break. I was the last 'in town' relative to make it to the hospital. It was a pretty lousy day.
The route I was on at the time, the 2 guys next to that route and another driver used to meet for lunch almost every day. Frequently, we would move work around so that we would all get done about the same time. Was one of the really nice things about working that area.