Funeral Leave Help

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm actually requesting bereavement leave today, so I'm glad this thread is here.

I'm not sure if everyone else's contract is the same, but ours states the following:

A regular full-time employee shall be guaranteed two (2) days off to be taken between the day of death and two (2) working days following the funeral provided the employee attends the funeral or other bereavement rite.

So it states 2 days before the service, then 2 after. It then goes on to state this:

Time off shall not extend beyond the day of the funeral unless an additional day is required for travel. In no event shall the compensated time off exceed four (4) scheduled workdays.

So what is it? Two days before and two after, or two days before and one after (I am, indeed, travelling, and it's a grandparent)? It's contradictory language... which part stands?

You're reading it wrong.

It states that you will be guaranteed at least 2 days off. These two days need to be taken between the day of death and two working days following the funeral.

It does not say that you get two days off before the service and two days off after the service.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I called the 2 guys that worked on either side of the route I was doing at the time. They split up my pickups, I finished delivering, skipped my lunch and break. I was the last 'in town' relative to make it to the hospital. It was a pretty lousy day.
The route I was on at the time, the 2 guys next to that route and another driver used to meet for lunch almost every day. Frequently, we would move work around so that we would all get done about the same time. Was one of the really nice things about working that area.

So you rushed through the end of your day and with a little help you were able to make it to the hospital where you sat in the lounge and drank coffee?

rod

Retired 22 years
Is crashing a funeral because you suspect some funny business really any better? :bored:

Who says they were just "crashing" it. I've seen occasions where someone from management attends a funeral out of respect and management always sent flowers at my center. At work they can be heartless bastards but off the clock some of them can be human.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Who says they were just "crashing" it. I've seen occasions where someone from management attends a funeral out of respect and management always sent flowers at my center. At work they can be heartless bastards but off the clock some of them can be human.
Yeah I know.. for whatever reason, immediately pictured one of our On Road Sups showing up in browns, all hot and bothered. Lol

rod

Retired 22 years
Frequently, we would move work around so that we would all get done about the same time. Was one of the really nice things about working that area.

We did that on occasion also. Most of the time nobody cared. There was one time when management had been pissed off at me for something (I'm sure I was innocent) when a friend took a few stops off me because I wanted to attend a family thing. They gave me a warning letter for "dispatching myself".

clean hairy

There is a video on youtube of a Driver who passed away, and Management let his best friend who was also a Driver use one of the trucks to transport him.
Is it OK to post the vid here?