Funny Orion story....

laststop

I have seven Orion rides in four months 4 Orin sups 1 driver sup 1cm 1 dm 15 to25 miles over 1.20 to2.0 late every time 98 on Orion trace easy money now on 9.5 list stop count back to pre Orion it's the new ups just work as they say and watch the sups and Orion boys get mad when you show ur pay stub 51000 in 7th month and you made more than them for the year they are much smarter than drivers do as they say you will live well $$$$$$$$!

Sent using BrownCafe App

O

OLDMAN3

I disagree, the more information you give ORION the crazier it gets. That's why they won't input 5pm closures, school let outs, etc.

The Traveling Salesman Problem is intractable, at least it was when I got my Computer Science Degree, meaning add a few data points and it takes years or forever to do what a human can do in just a few minutes. So whatever solution UPS has come up with is an ad hoc shortcut. It's not a true solution. And if they throw splits from removed cars or late volume and don't give it enough time to optimize, then it's just a waste of time.
Very true.
ORION does not seem to be able to properly prioritize objectives.
An driver can easily figure out that he should knock off a business that closes early if he has NDA in the area. An experienced driver will realize he should check for that particular stop whenever he gets near the area, knowing that if he does not, it may cost him 5 miles to break off later. Even if the early close time is imputed, the ORION solution does not seem to be able to chose correctly between knocking off the early closer, and say cutting a quarter mile by doing a different stop. A combination of too many objectives and flawed prioritizing causes ORION to come up with really wacky delivery sequences.

The combination of ORION and 9.5 grievances that now pay has cut my stop count by 20 to 25%:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
100% = $100,000

Very true. The problem with a route like mine is I am bulked out from front to back most days. I really cant even get to the 5000 section like Orion tells me too.

Orion also seems to be much better then I am as it says I can have more then 100 stops off by 4 and then do my pick ups, yet I have never had 80 off by 4.... having me do house stops before business is a daily problem.

So far just turning it off has been the best answer. I know that wont last but for now I turn it off, beat the miles and keep my day around 10 hours.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
My current PDS was the head of the ORION team when it was implemented in my center last year. He knows how screwed up ODO is on my route and doesn't even load it into my DIAD anymore. I have been given free reign to run my route on my own. At least in this case area knowledge beats the computer every day.

OPTION3

It's not the computer it is the idiots that are inputting the information that are the problem. If you put garbage in you get garbage out.
It’s REALLY the idiots trying to “Beat” ORION…….It’s what they want you to do…Upper management has said so

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Most of the time more simple is better. To arrive at a solution by over thinking it is usually just a big waste of time and energy. Orion seems to fit this adage well. Too much information and too many variables for Orion is creating situations where very productive and efficient drivers are becoming the exact opposites. Over what.....a few miles.
This was the whole concept behind Orion, to reduce miles. It was not the concept to throw every known rule for safe driving out the window.
We don't have Orion in our center. I hope that before the time comes they either fix all the bugs or throw yet another brilliant billion dollar investment in the trash.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The problem with Orion is that it's the first step into stop-for-stop driverless technology.
Google is working on driverless cars and UPS is VERY VERY interested.
Not withstanding the big O's fatal flaws, UPS will continue to pursue this.
And as drivers, corporate's trials and errors will be part of your work life until you retire.

PS - I turn Orion off the moment I walk up to my car. The Orion geeks who rode with me agreed on a few things that needed to be fixed.
They didn't do it. Their boss sent them to the next route and I was forgotten so now my optimized route is optimized sewage.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It’s REALLY the idiots trying to “Beat” ORION…….It’s what they want you to do…Upper management has said so
I agree. Its like beat our numbers so we can load you up some more, idiots.
Yes if you take pride in beating it, think its a game, you are a dumb truck driver.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I can't wait to follow that and back like a mother friend@($er.
you will LOVE ORION. the people who hate it are the Runners or those who hate change.

Orion has made my route the biggest Gravy Train in the center. I have always run it as close to 100% in trace as I can and as a result am running about 25-30 stops LESS a day due to all of the riding around( like you I LOVE getting paid to ride around) the younger drivers around me run in RDO and cry and cry about having work from me put on them.
I am referred to by the younger runners who prefer RDO as a" lazy sorry arse who cant do his job" and I just smile and gently point out that truth be told THEY are the ones "underperforming"

I dont worry one bit about if the order it tells me to run the route makes 'sense' as I am not paid to worry about such trivial matters

The BEST part of ORION is that following it 100% in trace has made me run 3-4 hours Overallowed every day yet still working WAY over 9.5 ( the center is such a disaster there is NO help available) and the center manager stroked out when I was running that far over and still filing Excessive Overtime grievances every week. It was HYSTERICAL having the meeting with he and the Labor Manager as the center manager was practically frothing at the mouth over having to reduce my workload. It was pointed out that I was working safely,by the methods,complying with ORION and had a clean Telematics report every day. WHAT was I doing wrong?

I also have had fun giving customers upset over delivery times the 1-800 number and encouraging them to file a Corporate Complaint. We have had a couple of PCM's on that lol

you'll love ORION,promise

you will LOVE ORION. the people who hate it are the Runners or those who hate change.

Orion has made my route the biggest Gravy Train in the center. I have always run it as close to 100% in trace as I can and as a result am running about 25-30 stops LESS a day due to all of the riding around( like you I LOVE getting paid to ride around) the younger drivers around me run in RDO and cry and cry about having work from me put on them.
I am referred to by the younger runners who prefer RDO as a" lazy sorry arse who cant do his job" and I just smile and gently point out that truth be told THEY are the ones "underperforming"

I dont worry one bit about if the order it tells me to run the route makes 'sense' as I am not paid to worry about such trivial matters

The BEST part of ORION is that following it 100% in trace has made me run 3-4 hours Overallowed every day yet still working WAY over 9.5 ( the center is such a disaster there is NO help available) and the center manager stroked out when I was running that far over and still filing Excessive Overtime grievances every week. It was HYSTERICAL having the meeting with he and the Labor Manager as the center manager was practically frothing at the mouth over having to reduce my workload. It was pointed out that I was working safely,by the methods,complying with ORION and had a clean Telematics report every day. WHAT was I doing wrong?

I also have had fun giving customers upset over delivery times the 1-800 number and encouraging them to file a Corporate Complaint. We have had a couple of PCM's on that lol

you'll love ORION,promise
1,000% winner and still champion. You are the man.

JackStraw

I have seven Orion rides in four months 4 Orin sups 1 driver sup 1cm 1 dm 15 to25 miles over 1.20 to2.0 late every time 98 on Orion trace easy money now on 9.5 list stop count back to pre Orion it's the new ups just work as they say and watch the sups and Orion boys get mad when you show ur pay stub 51000 in 7th month and you made more than them for the year they are much smarter than drivers do as they say you will live well $$$$$$$$ Sounds like you are following UPS's methods to a T and I say kudos to you. Nothing I like more than calling out a Sup for being a hypocrite. Just curious, did they want you to make unnecessary backs? (k-turns, driveways). Work unsafe?(getting stops out of the 6000 in the am without unloading).
Sent using BrownCafe App

JL 0513

Having said that, the developments made by Google and mapping technologies over the past 10 years has been pretty amazing.

Which reminds me of another problem with Orion. UPS chose to use Microsoft's Bing maps. Found this out when I went to one of the techs during implementation and pointed out that a section of road didn't exist and Orion thought it did, thus creating an entirely different solution. I told him Google maps has it correct so I was wondering why this is. "We use Bing". LOL. Why wouldn't UPS use the world's most accurate map data? Google isn't 100% but they are famous for knowing every inch of this world.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
One more thing: DONT I mean under NO circumstances get pulled into the drama that is Orion. Work safely,by the methods and just because the Operation Supes are running crazy,under stress and pulling their hair out DO NOT let that flow down to you. They love love love making THEIR problem YOUR problem. These meaningless reports and "numbers" dont concern Hourly Employees,and I relish telling them I get paid to put the package on the porch. The more Zen you are the crazier they get.
Don't argue,don't get mad,don't take it personal,and DONT get drawn into it

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
One more thing: DONT I mean under NO circumstances get pulled into the drama that is Orion. Work safely,by the methods and just because the Operation Supes are running crazy,under stress and pulling their hair out DO NOT let that flow down to you. They love love love making THEIR problem YOUR problem. These meaningless reports and "numbers" dont concern Hourly Employees,and I relish telling them I get paid to put the package on the porch. The more Zen you are the crazier they get.
Don't argue,don't get mad,don't take it personal,and DONT get drawn into it
Such great advice. I love, love, love, reading advice and stories, from people who have experience with this instead of us who were just thrown to the slaughter.

I remember it was the first week, when I was "being drawn into it". I was 98%, right on miles, sporh up, 2 hours late, and missed commercial. And they want to know why I am late. I was dumbfounded. "but I did everything right" I thought to my ownself.

So I made out a list of everything that was wrong, ie businesses out of order, etc. Just assuming they would care and fix it. June 3rd, I have the copy. No one cared, no one cared to fix it. I was waking up in the middle of the night, nightmares, out of miles, thats when I knew I needed help!

I came here and read all the threads I never read before, as it didnt concern me at the time, and I saw my exact problems scattered throughout the ups world. After 19 days of 11 hour days, I got on the 9.5 list. It was hard as I am very non confrontational, and my numbers were in the tank. But I was safe, using the methods, best I could when I wasnt climbing mountains to get to a stop, clean reports, as above, there was nothing they could say. I quit climbing, and delivering out of the back when I had to get to those shelves.

Took some time off, let the boss ride with a trainee, and got feedback from those guys. Laughed my butt off.

I still dread it, but its just a different job, with the same goal, but its out of my hands. Work as directed.