Funny story... I guess

That may be true, but I heard enough complaints from inside employees trying to work doubles and driver help that were told they couldn't driver help because they'd be working too many hours. Whether or not it's an official DOT regulation or management thinks it is I'm surprised there wasn't a post about how their shift management said they couldn't do that anymore.

They can work all they want EXCEPT when it factors in with driving. They need to make a choice. Unlimited hours inside or comply with DOT if they want to drive,

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If I were a center manager, I think I would look down on the idea of a "part timer" putting in an over 14 hour day, peak season or not.

There is no one center manager paying all the hours though. In my building the part timers putting in crazy hours during peak are doing it on 3 different shifts so the expense is shared across different budgets

Sent from Nexus 7 using BrownCafe mobile app

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
They can work all they want EXCEPT when it factors in with driving. They need to make a choice. Unlimited hours inside or comply with DOT if they want to drive,
True. 2012 peak we had an inside part timer who had worked 40 hours straight only punching out for a couple meal periods. The problem is one of the tasks he was performing was irreg train driver where you have to fill out a dvir and everything. They didn't care about how many hours he was working until a steward pointed out a potential dot issue

upschuck

True. 2012 peak we had an inside part timer who had worked 40 hours straight only punching out for a couple meal periods. The problem is one of the tasks he was performing was irreg train driver where you have to fill out a dvir and everything. They didn't care about how many hours he was working until a steward pointed out a potential dot issue

If you don't leave the lot, then no DOT involvement. Car washers don't have a DOT cards , but they move cars around all the time.

If you don't leave the lot, then no DOT involvement. Car washers don't have a DOT cards , but they move cars around all the time.

You can leave the lot as long as you remain on private property the entire time. Our 22.3 shifters are allowed to go next door to the BNSF yard through a private drive.

They killed on the hours worked this year. Debating the safety of it is another story.

FilingBluesFL

My helper one day, started indoors at 11:30 sunday night, then left the building and did his remote golf cart route, and then he was my jumper until like 7 or 8 pm...

The only reason they gave for not wanting him to work more hours, is because they had "Numbers and projections" they had to "make." Whatever that means.

AGKLM

5 x 14 = 70

I need to clarify a bit, there are plenty of P/T workers putting in hours just like the original poster described. I know of 80-90 hour weeks for P/T insiders too. In my area it seems only drivers going on road/off property are subject to the 10 hour in between shifts/60 hour week rules. I'm not saying anyone is wrong or right, just reporting on what happens in my area.

Inthegame

You can leave the lot as long as you remain on private property the entire time. Our 22.3 shifters are allowed to go next door to the BNSF yard through a private drive.

They killed on the hours worked this year. Debating the safety of it is another story.
Still can't believe Chicago allows 22.3 shifters...

upscat

they should also be held to the same hours rules. some carwasher is going to run someone over after working too many hours.

they should also be held to the same hours rules. some carwasher is going to run someone over after working too many hours.

Try driving with a 22.3 shifter working into his 18th hour (that's not a typo) moving loaded trailers weighing 60-70k pounds.

We don't call them rolling lottery tickets for nothing.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If there are no hours restrictions for inside employees, why was my center manager so adamant that inside employees used as helpers not work more than 14 hours per day and tried to limit their hours to 12?
So your center manager couldn't possibly be wrong and not have any idea what he's talking about?

By the way he is. I know plenty of preloaders that worked 15-17 hours a day during peak. There are plenty more like myself when I was part time that work 12+ everyday and work 6 or 7 days a week between two or three jobs.

This really isn't hard at all. Common sense says there's no way DOT could possibly regulate anyone without a DOT card.