Fur Calls

ikoi62

I got real good at popping the old phone off the wall and hooking up the new one. It was much easier than trying to explain how to do it or telling them to call the phone company to hook it up. There were days I would install a dozen phones
I had a seniors apartment complex on my old route i used to do the same thing all day. i still laugh about this one lady who i must have had delivered 3 or 4 phones too, she kept saying they weren't loud enough for her i finally found the problem she kept hitting the lever on the side lowering the ringer volume.some people didn't know if i was the phone company guy or UPS guy..lol

Big Babooba

I got real good at popping the old phone off the wall and hooking up the new one. It was much easier than trying to explain how to do it or telling them to call the phone company to hook it up. There were days I would install a dozen phones
I have a couple of phones that I need moved....

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The "stratified charge" engines were UPS's idea for saving fuel. These engines could run on used oil mixed into the fuel tanks. they smelled terrible and seldom actually worked .:sick:

UPS Lifer

If you guys think fur calls were bad... There were stops called "Even Exchange" back in the retail days. You actually had to wait for the lady of the house to try on the dress and put the exchange back in the box. We would use string to tie the box up and attach the receipt using pins!!! This is no joke! A stop could take up to 10 minutes. Most of the time the lady of the house wanted to know how the dress looked!!!

Big Babooba

If you guys think fur calls were bad... There were stops called Even Exchange" back in the retail days. You actually had to wait for the lady of the house to try on the dress and put the exchange back in the box. We would use string to tie the box up and attach the receipt using pins!!! This is no joke! A stop could take up to 10 minutes. Most of the time the lady of the house wanted to know how the dress looked!!!
Did she ask you to zip her up?:devil3:

rod

Retired 22 years
If you guys think fur calls were bad... There were stops called "Even Exchange" back in the retail days. You actually had to wait for the lady of the house to try on the dress and put the exchange back in the box. We would use string to tie the box up and attach the receipt using pins!!! This is no joke! A stop could take up to 10 minutes. Most of the time the lady of the house wanted to know how the dress looked!!!
Just how long have you been with UPS? I can remember back to the plastic bowtie days but I've never heard of "Even Exchange". I did know a guy that worked in UPS Furniture Delivery in New York. He said every stop was always at least 6 or 7 flights of stairs up.

satellitedriver

Who wears fur these days ?
Its not politically correct.
My dog, my cat and alot of other animals on this planet.
Just check under your armpits( or other areas of your anatomy) and you will see most of humans do wear fur.
To kill for the sole purpose of glamour,IMO, is wrong.
To wear fur as a function of warmth, I have no problem with.
PAX

satellitedriver

Not to go kinky on this subject, but I would inform the woman I would have to watch while she tried it on.
PAX

UPS Lifer

Just how long have you been with UPS? I can remember back to the plastic bowtie days but I've never heard of "Even Exchange". I did know a guy that worked in UPS Furniture Delivery in New York. He said every stop was always at least 6 or 7 flights of stairs up.

I was driving in 1973 after 2 years as a loader at Soto Hub. Soto was like the "CACH" of the West Coast back then. The 'Even Exchange" went out when we went Common Carrier. I drove out of the Olympic Hub (which used to be the Corporate Headquarters) in LA, Westwood, Santa Monica, Malibu and Marina Del Rey. LA was one of the original retail delivery areas so there was a mixture of retail and common carrier packages. We delivered packages (retail) with brown paper and string on them!

If you started driving in an expansion area you probably only delivered common carrier packages. We completely changed over around 1979.

rod

Retired 22 years
I was driving in 1973 after 2 years as a loader at Soto Hub. Soto was like the "CACH" of the West Coast back then. The 'Even Exchange" went out when we went Common Carrier. I drove out of the Olympic Hub (which used to be the Corporate Headquarters) in LA, Westwood, Santa Monica, Malibu and Marina Del Rey. LA was one of the original retail delivery areas so there was a mixture of retail and common carrier packages. We delivered packages (retail) with brown paper and string on them!

If you started driving in an expansion area you probably only delivered common carrier packages. We completely changed over around 1979.
ya learn something every day here on the B C:happy2:

browniehound

I had a Fur Call a couple of years ago. The fur coat is picked up and put in a cooled storage place during the summer. We had one driver that Dred one in the rain and was asked to pay for it. This same guy once left his DIAD on the rear bumper and ran over it himself when he backed up to a dock. A long time ago, we had a Merchandise Exchange Service too. This was back when everyone got their home phones from the telephone company. If the phone quit working, we would deliver a new one and put the old one back in the box and return it. That service didn't seem to last very long.

Scratch, was the guy who backed over his own DIAD charged with an accident?

looper804

Is it time to go home yet

This was also a good way to make a few $$$.Old ladies would always give a tip for uninstalling/installing the phone.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Scratch, was the guy who backed over his own DIAD charged with an accident?

It was a DIAD 1, about the time they first came out in the early nineties. He was asked to pay for it, but I don't know if he ever did. He lost his job for good a few months back for hitting on women customers. A lot of weird stuff was involved with that, like showing them pictures of his male parts with his cell phone. I wonder how he explained that to his wife and three kids.

rod

Retired 22 years
This was also a good way to make a few $$$.Old ladies would always give a tip for uninstalling/installing the phone.
Had to laugh at your responce. Most of the time on my route the "old ladies" thought I was with the phone company so they expected their new phone to be hooked up. Once again it was easier to just hook the friggin thing up than to explain why I'm not the phone guy and that they would have to call the phone company to hook it up. Needless to say I never got tipped for this extra service.

705 cach

maybe i have been in feeder too long. I remember the phone exchange. The fur calls on a route i did was about 5 to 7 a day for about 2 weeks. I got a racoon jacket (Tonooki) for my wife about 17 years ago. one of the best gifts i got for her. In late Spring ,we have it cleaned and glazed , put is cold storage for fall.

softshoe

I had a wealthy old lady that use to have 15 fur boxes for pickup. It took over a hr for her to bring each coat from her closet out to the front door,so I could put them in the fur boxes. The wait was worth it, because at christmas she was a extremely generous lady.