Future of MIP! Future of this once great company

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Well, 2BOver, hate to break it to you, but the current board is geared to break the company's back to squeeze as much $ as can be squeezed (management, controlled cost). Watch the video again with Scott Davis and Kurt. They are doing all they can to hold back the laughter from what their portfolios will look like after they retire. "We have very competitive salaries when compared to the rest of the industry", we are not "like" the rest of the industry! It's not apples to apples. It's more like apples rotten to the core! Good luck, I hope I make it to retirement(If they don't tap into soon). 30+ years in management and the drivers make more than I do??????? BROKEN!!!!!!
Is the union correct calling this organization "white collar crime"? can mgmt and union both see it that way on/at some level?

rudy5150

Greed will ruin UPS! It has already started, nobody respects eachother at all, its all about the #'s. The way people talk one another in this company is so unprofessional, its a pathetic company right now. Even customers see the difference from what it used to be. Customer service has really fallen off. As soon as bean counters start running a company that seals their fate! adios!

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
It's sad when I recall the circumstances under which I came to UPS. I was asked to and told that I would never regret my decision. This was 26 years ago.
This year I hit 130% of my band and got a zero pay increase. 26 years of meaningful work that no one else was skilled or motivated enough to do. Long story with lots of details, but I have made back my 26 years' salary at least 30 times. The leadership positions are less and less every year and so there is no upward mobility. 50 hour weeks and occasional weekends and if the daily results aren't acceptable, my "leadership" looks to us "mid-managers" and below for answers. The fact there is no real direction or care about morale is beyond their comprehension.
I am no longer proud to be a UPS "partner". My "partner" is screwing me and if I don't like it I can find another job.
So, back to 1987 when I was asked to leave my job and come to UPS to help start the airline. I believed everything I was told and never asked what was in it for me because i felt certain the "partnership" would treat me fairly. In retrospect, I am happy that I came to UPS, but I should have left when we went public. It has been all downhill for most of us, but a few at the top and towards the top.
As soon as United Way or UPSPAC or another tax cut in sheep's clothing comes around, I will participate as always and do my job.
My heart hasn't been in it for a long time, nor any other manager that I know, but who cares...if we don't like it, we can hit the door.

I am certain that UPS will become a classic case study in Business Ethics someday. They are no better than any other business that rewards the few at the sake of the many.

jeepguy63

Greetings fellow management employees. I purposely did not use the "p" word. To continue to use the word and have fanciful discussions around the topic are simply delusional.

Yesterday, all management took a 30% haircut in terms of wages for your services.
No one in a small package environment contributed less effort. The vast majority of decisions, from region manager on down are limited and constrained by the few at the top. Therefore, our lack of growth, our inability to complete difficult transactions around the world, our inability to influence public officials in a similar way our primary competitor creates advantages for themselves, rest squarely on the shoulders of the Management committee and the BOD who employs them.

Since the MIP redesign in 2005, instead of a share of the profits, the management, formally known as partners, have received awards purely based on the whim of the Salary Committee (whoever they are.)

What will be the difference in 2013? In the domestic us, 65% of total net income, UPS competes in a two player market. The revenue growth goal is 5%. Nowhere on the planet is GDP forecasted to grow 5% certainly the domestic US will not grow at 5%.

So, the next solution that will come from on high is to hold on to the rate increase. UPS has demonstrated only a slight capability to execute this strategy, and, all decisions regarding this strategy are made within 500 feet of the CEO/CFO's offices.

The only other solution in the domestic us is to take premium product from from our primary competitor. That means a price war. We've never engaged in a price war, and it's not likely we will any time soon. In fact, without significant infrastructure investment (buildings), we can't even handle peak season now. So if we grew 5% this year, how much volume would get rolled in November and December?

The only solutions that have been effectively managed by this company, are cost cuts - ala eliminating mgmt vacation vesting for the future year, MIP split into cash and RSU's...MIP rolled from 2011 to 2012....paying 70% for a job that was done 100%....cutting jobs that happen to be open at a particular point in time..... On and on..... UPS is a master at cutting cost.

Look at page 88 of the 2011 annual report! Where will that money come from in the next couple years???? Outside of continuing to squeeze mgmt salaries through a "redesigned" QPR process, and a "redesigned MIP" the last remaining large bucket of cash to go after (without negotiations) is to "redesign" and "enhance" your pension plan.

Folks, this ain't your old retired UPS friend's UPS any more.

So where do we go from here? Tough question. Most UPSers are good UPSers because they are hard workers, loyal, and dedicated. To think that we're going to "dial it back" and give less than 100% will only satisfy the current anger we all feel. Yet, because of our makeup, when the next challenge calls for 110% effort, 90 some percent will meet the challenge.

How about spreading hate and discontent on all the public blogs and boards (such as this one?) The reality of that strategy only tarnishes the image others outside of Brown have of those inside. That would have zero impact for positive change.

What are the suggestions of this board?

If we're no longer partners, can we unionize?

Bump

Same story change the dates. 30% shave off 70% = 49%..... Might be this year's factor!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's sad when I recall the circumstances under which I came to UPS. I was asked to and told that I would never regret my decision. This was 26 years ago.
This year I hit 130% of my band and got a zero pay increase. 26 years of meaningful work that no one else was skilled or motivated enough to do. Long story with lots of details, but I have made back my 26 years' salary at least 30 times. The leadership positions are less and less every year and so there is no upward mobility. 50 hour weeks and occasional weekends and if the daily results aren't acceptable, my "leadership" looks to us "mid-managers" and below for answers. The fact there is no real direction or care about morale is beyond their comprehension.
I am no longer proud to be a UPS "partner". My "partner" is screwing me and if I don't like it I can find another job.
So, back to 1987 when I was asked to leave my job and come to UPS to help start the airline. I believed everything I was told and never asked what was in it for me because i felt certain the "partnership" would treat me fairly. In retrospect, I am happy that I came to UPS, but I should have left when we went public. It has been all downhill for most of us, but a few at the top and towards the top.
As soon as United Way or UPSPAC or another tax cut in sheep's clothing comes around, I will participate as always and do my job.
My heart hasn't been in it for a long time, nor any other manager that I know, but who cares...if we don't like it, we can hit the door.

I am certain that UPS will become a classic case study in Business Ethics someday. They are no better than any other business that rewards the few at the sake of the many.
It is important to have Purpose in one's life.
It does not have to be from UPS but you can find it elsewhere.

DocBrown

image.jpg

upschuck

We have a driver in my center who just a few short years ago would have done anything that you asked him to do---today he does just the bare minimum.
People lose their caring about a company when they are micromanaged, and nit picked on the smallest things.

I cared a lot more when they loaded packages on my car, and I took off, and got my work done. They didn't know were I was, if I idled when delivered(been told to do that a couple times), didn't close bulkhead door, or went off trace. There is a direct correlation in the micro managing and the caring that most drivers exhibit. This company seems to try and get their people to not care. That is not only in the hourly, but goes up to the division management; and that is only because that is as high as I normally see. They talk a big game, but actions speak louder than words.

Lemvil

I remember when I started at Corporate over 20 years ago, I was amazed at the dedication of those that I worked with. Didn't matter how many hours in a day/week you worked, you did what you had to do for your partners and the company. Vacations postponed if needed or just not taken. Days off, what were those? We all had a job to do and if we did not do it the peer pressure made sure you did not continue down that path. Moved to my current position and continued to hear those words "work hard, go above and beyond, and NEVER say no when asked to do something." Yes the hours are long but you will be rewarded in the end with promotions and of course your M.I.P. Here I am, over a decade later, still in the same position. A few times a promotion opportunity came along only for the higher levels making the decision why promote when we can consolidate positions. This continues in 2014 as I see another manager position open up but instead of promoting a supervisor an existing manager is told to not only do their current job but take on these additional responsibilities. So we all continue down our paths with little or no possibility of promotion, little or no possibility of a decent raise, and now a M.I.P. factor that continues its downward trajectory.
My only motivation is to continue to do a job that I enjoy, working with people that I enjoy, supporting both our internal and external customers. My loyalty is to my internal/external customers who contact me asking for my assistance. Being able to solve a problem that to them seems impossible gives me satisfaction. But loyalty to a company who has no plans for me. No possibility of promotion. No thought of recognition through a salary increase or fair M.I.P. In that regard I have been pushed to the point where I no longer give a damn. No longer will I support United Way through UPS so this company can take credit for all the money/hours that I volunteer. I now donate/volunteer on my own. Contribute to UPSPAC, you must be kidding. How can UPS expect loyalty from me when promises made to me when I moved into management have conveniently been forgotten. Work more than 8 hours a day, not a chance as I no longer want to come home and have my wife why I am supporting a company that no longer cares about me and would get rid of me so then my job could be consolidated into another's position. I once bled brown but no more. I am truly saddened by this as I hoped to emulate those that taught me the "UPS way" over 20 years ago and I had hoped to pass this legacy along to those that follow behind me. But the younger workers that I am around have no intention of going into management. So, who do I teach about being a partner in UPS? I don't see anyone being around in a few years that will want to learn. To everyone below a level 20 this has just become a job.