Garbage service!!

worldwide

I drive feeder and run a small business on the side.I do a lot of shipping with this business and once in a while I get a customer that needs overnight service.Well, this happened Thursday where the guy really needed this delivered by Saturday afternoon so he could be ready for his trip on Monday.So I told him I'd go back to the shop Thursday night,get his order built and have it shipped on Friday via UPS Saturday Air.

He Paypals me the extra shipping cost and says how much he appreciates this,etc. So I go at lunch break on Friday to the UPS store and pay $122.00 to have this express pack shipped across the country.Long story short we dropped the ball and it got lost! Guy sent me an email and was pretty upset,rightly so.Frankly, I'm disgusted with our company for this.In fact, it disgusts me on a regular basis how many misloads I pick up from the Amazon facility I service. Tons and tons of NDA, ground,etc every week that wind up in Amazon trailers instead of the houses and businesses that they are supposed to go to.

This has been going on for years and it just absolutely disgusts and baffles me how management does NOTHING to improve this!

It's not just UPS, it's all carriers right now. It's just the reality of the situation. What are your suggestions to improve the situation?

"Satish Jindel, founder of ShipMatrix, said FedEx had a 96% on-time rate from Nov. 1-14, compared to 97.2% for UPS and 97.3% for the U.S. Postal Service’s parcel delivery, based on his data. “All three are performing exceptionally well for this time of the year, given the huge surge in demand,” Jindel said.

Todd Benge, Vice President of Parcel Operations for Transportation Insight, said his company had seen performance declines for both UPS and FedEx in recent weeks compared to 2019, adding “FedEx has slipped more than UPS” in on-time performance.

“We see UPS about the same as last year’s days in transit but a point off of their on-time performance,” Benge said. “For FedEx, we’re seeing about .5 more days in transit for delivery and about a 4 point drop in on-time performance. So, UPS is in the mid-90s and FedEx in the low 90s for delivery on time performance.”"

Amazon Restricts FedEx for Seller Fulfilled Prime - Multichannel Merchant

No1 Special

Long time listener, first time caller.
I drive feeder and run a small business on the side.I do a lot of shipping with this business and once in a while I get a customer that needs overnight service.Well, this happened Thursday where the guy really needed this delivered by Saturday afternoon so he could be ready for his trip on Monday.So I told him I'd go back to the shop Thursday night,get his order built and have it shipped on Friday via UPS Saturday Air.

He Paypals me the extra shipping cost and says how much he appreciates this,etc. So I go at lunch break on Friday to the UPS store and pay $122.00 to have this express pack shipped across the country.Long story short we dropped the ball and it got lost! Guy sent me an email and was pretty upset,rightly so.Frankly, I'm disgusted with our company for this.In fact, it disgusts me on a regular basis how many misloads I pick up from the Amazon facility I service. Tons and tons of NDA, ground,etc every week that wind up in Amazon trailers instead of the houses and businesses that they are supposed to go to.

This has been going on for years and it just absolutely disgusts and baffles me how management does NOTHING to improve this!
They don't sell pot where he lives?

Undertow

So if it’s happening to someone else’s business it’s just a level below your own personal hustle?

Should think about everyones business it’s happening to.

This is also why insurance exists.

Things get lost. Speed speed speed. There is no such thing as quality. That’s why boxes get destroyed during shipment and items get lost. Also certain individuals take it up a notch and think they deserve more from the company and start stealing.

The only ones who really see it happening are the people who are actually doing it.

We had a state bank send out a $100,000 check one time and it got lost at our center. Months later they opened up the conveyor belt section that tends to eat bags and envelopes. Guess where the check was?
So if it’s happening to someone else’s business it’s just a level below your own personal hustle?

Things get lost. Speed speed speed. There is no such thing as quality. That’s why boxes get destroyed during shipment and items get lost. Also certain individuals take it up a notch and think they deserve more from the company and start stealing.

The only ones who really see it happening are the people who are actually doing it.

We had a state bank send out a $100,000 check one time and it got lost at our center. Months later they opened up the conveyor belt section that tends to eat bags and envelopes. Guess where the check was?

As the saying goes..."It doesn't happen until it happens to You".

To be fair, He did note seeing all kinds of misleads and service failures unrelated to strictly his lone shipment, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as I agree with his sentiment. On occasion, there's stuff that truly isn't anybody's "fault". I've seen NDA envelopes get caught in the straps that customers put around packages more than a few times now. We had a customer that had a sticky substance on the bottom of all packages He'd shipped and the stuff was tearing the labels off the top of other stuff they'd be placed on.

But far more often, the service failures I'm seeing at present are the same results of the technological incompetence that currently plagues the package operation. PAL labels with a a totally different address than the the printed barcode label despite both displaying the exact same tracking number has been a problem in our building for well over the last 4 years. of which many times the stuff is either right back in the load the next day or yet again incorrectly PAL'd to the car right next to mine. It's literally the same stuff that never gets fixed and that can become mentally taxing to those of us who have to deal with the customers face to face on a daily basis.

I remember not far off in the not to distant past where I discovered 4 additional pickups in the DIAD about midway through the day that were several routes away from mine. I called and asked how that could be allowed to happen without any heads up and the office insisted I had to break off my own area 3 different times. The first one was a building that had been vacant for several years, the second was an account that had switched to a competitor several months prior, and the fourth claimed that I had shown up over an hour too early when the commit time in the DIAD indicated I'd arrived nearly 20 minutes late. Nobody could give Me an explanation the next morning or even a "We'll try to sort that out so it doesn't happen again to you or anyone else. They're too concerned with DOK compliance and DIAD training over tobacco shipments to care about actual service.

UPSER1987

So if I read correctly...

You work at a company.

You don't like how the company is ran.

You decide to start a side business directly utilizing the company you work for and don't like how it's ran.

You then come to the interwebs to vent about the mean ol email you received.

(Lots of other stuff)

Good luck
Boy you stole my thoughts exactly. People B & M about all the things terrible about UPS, then trust their services for personal use. Guy says this has been going on for years and still plucks his money down.
You got garbage looking drivers giving garbage service. No brainer.
Stop whining and use the post office next time buddy...it’s cheaper.

watdaflock?

Next time, try using a more reliable overnight shipping service. Which company that may be, I have no idea.

Hope this helps.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Boy you stole my thoughts exactly. People B & M about all the things terrible about UPS, then trust their services for personal use. Guy says this has been going on for years and still plucks his money down.
You got garbage looking drivers giving garbage service. No brainer.
Stop whining and use the post office next time buddy...it’s cheaper.
Management has allowed the quality of service to plummet. You are too worried about getting reamed in front of your buddies on the conference call about not making your numbers. I can guarantee you the numbers are way lower than 97.2. Most management has figured out how to hide missed packages now. It's rampant in my center.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Pretty sure we have a 92% on time rate. When you handle millions every day, 8% = a lot of packages.
That’s putting it lightly. My hub alone runs over a million a day during peak.

Last edited:

MattM

Ship papers or checks in a larger box, you won’t save much by using their envelopes
Lots of envelopes get stuck together.

Indecisi0n

You should fire the owner of the business for choosing UPS.

rod

Retired 22 years
Ship papers or checks in a larger box, you won’t save much by using their envelopes
Lots of envelopes get stuck together.
That is probably the best advice available on this thread. I remember YEARS ago before any of the bar code crap came along when UPS customers used a 6 number rubber stamp that was probably 2 and a half inches wide. I had a package one day that the numbers wouldn't even fit on one side of the package. They had to wrap the stamp around the side of the package. And people wonder how things get lost.

No1 Special

I remember YEARS ago before any of the bar code crap came along when UPS customers used a 6 number rubber stamp that was probably 2 and a half inches wide.
I figured when you started the shipper numbers were only 2 digits long.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

You always lose a few.

Put red tape on the package and fools think it's a high value.

1pocket73

Were you hired off the street ?

You hire them....

The Union just has to represent them.

:biggrin:
I got hired at this center when the building was being scoured due to an outbreak of ebola. All employees were off for a week straight.Guy had me meet him at a farmhouse about 5 miles from the center.He interviewed me in the cattle barn at some makeshift table they had set up for this temporary arrangement.I guess the farmer was a relative of someone they knew.The weird thing was that we were sitting at the table and the steer were just a few feet from us. Man, it smelled something fierce in there! Guy who interviewed me was strange.He kept asking me the same question about my experience with downshifting a tractor and then he would literally look up at the ceiling.The most bizarre thing about it all is that I never seen him again.I got a phone call the next day from somebody else and was offered the job and a start date.I've described this guy to people I work with and none of them know who I am talking about.

No1 Special

I got hired at this center when the building was being scoured due to an outbreak of ebola.
We were told not to mention the ebola outbreak at our center. Just head straight to our trucks, logs and diads were placed in trucks by hazmat responders.