Get off my lawn boomers.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What’s an automat?

Automats revolutionized the working lunch in America.

These coin-operated contraptions worked like vending machines. Customers could drop a nickel in the slot and purchase a wide array of food items, including sandwiches, hot dishes, desserts, and coffee.

The concept was pioneered by Horn & Hardart, which opened its first flagship store in New York in 1912. Automats peaked during the Depression era and stayed relevant until the rise of fast-food restaurants in the 1960s.

Horn & Hardart closed its last machine in 1991.”

oldngray

nowhere special

These coin-operated contraptions worked like vending machines. Customers could drop a nickel in the slot and purchase a wide array of food items, including sandwiches, hot dishes, desserts, and coffee.

The concept was pioneered by Horn & Hardart, which opened its first flagship store in New York in 1912. Automats peaked during the Depression era and stayed relevant until the rise of fast-food restaurants in the 1960s.

Only place I ever saw those was in movies. I have heard of them though.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

I don’t remember ever seeing one before.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I've seen automats in movies, but it's more of a "big city" thing to me. I've never lived in a "big city" like New York or L.A.

But we had tons of Drive-in movies!!!