Get your patches!

bbsam

Staff member
They don't have to. That's what we're talking about. We can chose not to wear uniforms and have our trucks be plain white. They pay us a small amount to promote their brand. Now in addition to that they want our company names displayed. It may be easier/cheaper to just opt out of all branding.
It's separate though. One can stay in uniform brand promotion and opt out of vehicle brand promotion or vice versa.

bbsam

Staff member
Stupid question......why?
Each is paid separately.

I could have drivers driving Fedex Ground branded vehicles (while wearing no uniform) and get paid weekly for that. I could also have drivers in uinform driving in plain white vehicles.

Brand promotion in the Agreement is broken into the two areas, uniform and vehicle.

bbsam

Staff member
Hey bbsam, do you think it will make your guy's job harder without the uniforms? That's my biggest reason for not opting out. Showing up somewhere in a t-shirt and cargo shorts claiming to be the FedEx guy might he hard for a lot of non-regular customers to understand.
Not really. We still have the badges and people can look at the truck and if they still don't believe us, we can take the package back to the station two times. After that, the non-persuaded customer can pick the package up at the station.

In short, the customer won't make it harder on me or my drivers, only themselves.

Oh, and the scanner says "FedEx Ground" on it also.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not really. We still have the badges and people can look at the truck and if they still don't believe us, we can take the package back to the station two times. After that, the non-persuaded customer can pick the package up at the station.

In short, the customer won't make it harder on me or my drivers, only themselves.

Oh, and the scanner says "FedEx Ground" on it also.

IWBF has a point. You know as well as I that it is our uniforms that get us in to places most other delivery services are denied access to. I go behind the counters at banks, in to the back rooms of jewelry stores, etc., all places Lasership could only dream of delivering to and all because of my uniform (certainly not my charm or boyish good looks).

You guys lose the uniform and it will make a long day even longer.

bbsam

Staff member
IWBF has a point. You know as well as I that it is our uniforms that get us in to places most other delivery services are denied access to. I go behind the counters at banks, in to the back rooms of jewelry stores, etc., all places Lasership could only dream of delivering to and all because of my uniform (certainly not my charm or boyish good looks).

You guys lose the uniform and it will make a long day even longer.
I find that hard to believe because my drivers aren't new to their areas. We've been to those places time and time again and know many on a first name basis. Maybe there will be a few hiccups, but when Josh (who walks in "out of uniform") from his FedEx truck and proceeds to make a delivery the way he has for the past six years, how much difference will there be? Probably some curious questions and maybe a call or two to customer service to find out what's going on. Overall though, in street clothes or uniform, the delivery remains much the same. I'm not confessing to anything, but I have experience with this.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The only time I go us if they are being held locally and if there is/are an issue(s) I would like to discuss. I refuse to drive 90 or 180 miles each way just to attend.

It will be fine

I think deliveries will be ok. It's more the pickup side that I see problems. The call ins that don't know us not handing over their packages. Nothing that can't be worked out, but it could be annoying. When summer rolls around every year I always think about opting out just to wear lighter clothes. Might do a trial run for a while and see how it goes, I can always opt back in.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I find that hard to believe because my drivers aren't new to their areas. We've been to those places time and time again and know many on a first name basis. Maybe there will be a few hiccups, but when Josh (who walks in "out of uniform") from his FedEx truck and proceeds to make a delivery the way he has for the past six years, how much difference will there be? Probably some curious questions and maybe a call or two to customer service to find out what's going on. Overall though, in street clothes or uniform, the delivery remains much the same. I'm not confessing to anything, but I have experience with this.

I think Upstate has an excellent point, although in the case of Ground, having the uniform on might be enough to convince the customer that they shouldn't let that scruffy pirate into the bank etc. Looking at the "average" Ground driver, I'd have to say having a uniform would be an access advantage, because most of them look pretty rough.

Purplepackage

I think Upstate has an excellent point, although in the case of Ground, having the uniform on might be enough to convince the customer that they shouldn't let that scruffy pirate into the bank etc. Looking at the "average" Ground driver, I'd have to say having a uniform would be an access advantage, because most of them look pretty rough.

The issue with the uniform will effect pick ups. I have pick ups that I keys to the building to let myself in and walk past the security guard to mail rooms. If I wasn't wearing my express uniform do you really think the security guard would just let me waltz by? I don't think so as these places handle some pretty important stuff

bbsam

Staff member
I'm surprised that you don't understand this.

FedEx is trying to ADVERTISE the indepence that exists between it and bbsam inc. Advertising isn't free and everything is negotiable.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm surprised that you don't understand this.

FedEx is trying to ADVERTISE the indepence that exists between it and bbsam inc. Advertising isn't free and everything is negotiable.

Have you joined the Brick Club too? This is what I've been saying all along. It won't work.