Getting fired for Attendance

BoxerVR4

Im being fired for attendance i know some of the days there counting are days i was sick and had a doctors note. Im going to fill a grievance but i have know idea how to fill it out... what should i say on the grievance?

Overpaid Union Thug

Im being fired for attendance i know some of the days there counting are days i was sick and had a doctors note. Im going to fill a grievance but i have know idea how to fill it out... what should i say on the grievance?

WOW! I always thought it was impossible to fire someone for attendance. I've never even see anyone written up for it. Let alone fired fot it. Most hubs have attendance problems so they really should enforce attendance. Were you written up first?

tieguy

Banned
your steward should be present when you have your attendance hearing and should provide you with the grievance paper work.

BoxerVR4

yeah we have a bad a[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']ttendance problem they never used to do anything but i guess there starting to crack down and im one of the first to go. yeah i was written up a few months ago and ive only been late maby 3 times since then and only by a few minutes but i was sick and miss like a week i think it was so there trying to use that aginst me even though a had a doctors note[/FONT]

cino321

Usually if you have a doctor's note excusing you the entire time you were absent you should be able to get your job back through arbitration, contact your steward and see if you have a case or not. If they wrote you up for it once then management will pick at you even if you were late once or twice and they do have justification to do so, but remember they can't just fire you, there is a whole discipline procedure depending on local contract language, for example we start off with a verbal, 3 write ups, then a series of suspensions, and then you get fired.

BoxerVR4

my manager took me in the office and told me i was being suspended, a few days later the letter came in and he said im being fired. so how can this happen? ive never been suspended, how can they fired me?

cino321

Was a shop steward present for any of this? If not then none of this will stand up they weren't following procedure. You better talk to your steward and get a copy of your local contract and start reading.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Only been late maybe 3 times and only by a few minutes, we should do a poll on lateness. I dont think Ive been late oh maybe once in 10 yrs and ive always lived 40 to 70 miles away.

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
Hmmmmmm. How many warning letters have you got so far???? Seems odd to be fired this quickly unless you've been through a couple warning letters and your 3 day suspension. Either they've jumped the gun, or we're missing info here. I can only assume here, but by chance have you had a couple warning letters, a suspension, and then maybe the manager didn't realize you were onto the next level and was told it's actually to point of termination???? Sorry to be blunt, but need more info on all of this. Sounds odd to me.

tieguy

Banned
Hmmmmmm. How many warning letters have you got so far???? Seems odd to be fired this quickly unless you've been through a couple warning letters and your 3 day suspension. Either they've jumped the gun, or we're missing info here. I can only assume here, but by chance have you had a couple warning letters, a suspension, and then maybe the manager didn't realize you were onto the next level and was told it's actually to point of termination???? Sorry to be blunt, but need more info on all of this. Sounds odd to me.

I agree sounds like you're running for the door. Have you met a steward yet?

Pip

I guess people have different priorites concerning attendance. I think most feel that if it is possible to get to work, they will try to. I think most of us at one time or another have been sick, had the flu, colds, aches and pains, severe lack of interest, or what ever the reason might have been.

But we still manage to get to work and try to do our best even when our best isn't 100%. I think there is that driving force within us that makes most of us try to give the effort. I also know there are times when getting to work just isn't possible.

I also think there are people that don't have the maturity to have their priorities in the right place yet. Those are the ones that could care less if they had a job or not, they just seem to do things that are convenient at the moment. Not giving any thought to who might be affected by their actions. Those are usually the same ones that cry the loudest when things don't go their way.

I know there are times when a person just can't get to work, whether on time or at all for whatever reason. If there is a pattern formed where a person misses work continually, then I think there needs to be some thought given if that person really has what it takes and has the maturity to be a team player at the work place.

wornoutupser

Dont laugh- we had a driver disciplined for missing 1 day because her son in law had surgery for serious cancer. Thats how bad it is here.

LKLND3380

Only been late maybe 3 times and only by a few minutes, we should do a poll on lateness. I dont think Ive been late oh maybe once in 10 yrs and ive always lived 40 to 70 miles away.

I haven't been late in the past two days... It was Saturday and Sunday... But that must count for something?:crying:

LKLND3380

File a grievence for harassment... How many others are being fired? of course YOU are not the only one who is late...

runner45

I missed my college graduation because we was short on preload, Supervisor was able to leave and make his bowling league

Last edited:

opie

At my facility there are a bunch of guys who have attendance problems. One guy who works at my area, he disappears for days, and they never discipline him. Especially on our midnight sort we have a 75% turnover rate. Many people don't show up or come in late. I guess with the part-timers they really don't enforce the attendance policy at most buildings. They may complain about to you, but they never do anything. Only thing is if you want to go full-time someday they can hold you back.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
At my facility there are a bunch of guys who have attendance problems. One guy who works at my area, he disappears for days, and they never discipline him. Especially on our midnight sort we have a 75% turnover rate. Many people don't show up or come in late. I guess with the

On my Day Sort, I think the turnover is about 2/3. I think I saw Preload had a 99.3% turnover for 2006. Attendance should be the last of management's concerns. But...someone is screamed at and that changes. -Rocky