Getting my break is like pulling teeth.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
So pathetic that we’re talking about not being able to take a bathroom break in 2022… I’ve never had an issue or been called out ever for using the bathroom…not in the hub, pkg driving or feeder. Really surprised that this keeps on being brought up. Op… you notify mgt through the radio that you have to relieve yourself… if they don’t send someone to cover you then you leave and go to the bathroom…don’t fart around…go there and get back… end of story. Nothing they can do.
I would never ask to use the bathroom. School has been out for awhile.

bumped

1st. How much do you like the position that you are in?
2nd. Can UPS take you out of that position is you really press the break issue.
3rd. Now make your choice how hard you want to pursue it.

Nah
I mean it is extreme but if not relieved I suppose you count just have an “accident” then have to go home early to change clothes.,, then file art. 37 for being humiliated by being required to hold it till you wet yourself. Good BA might get some art. 37 triple pay money.
There may even be a OSHA complaint in there somewhere.

quad decade guy

So pathetic that we’re talking about not being able to take a bathroom break in 2022… I’ve never had an issue or been called out ever for using the bathroom…not in the hub, pkg driving or feeder. Really surprised that this keeps on being brought up. Op… you notify mgt through the radio that you have to relieve yourself… if they don’t send someone to cover you then you leave and go to the bathroom…don’t fart around…go there and get back… end of story. Nothing they can do.
I echo your sentiments somewhat. However, there can be abuses on both sides. It's not one-way. There are dangerous things going on in that belt system....a coordinated process needs to be followed. This makes safe sense. Now, if you have someone abusing the "system" or taking advantage....a far more complicated story.

I believe there could be plenty they could do. With new rules or procedures that would hurt(really inconvenience) many others.

Non liberal

Hi y’all, I’m a belt tender, or in other words i baby sit through conveyor belts around my area. I’m required to stay at my station for the whole shift, unless the belt is off or someone is covering for me. The only way for me to communicate with my supervisors is via radio. My hub is severely short staffed after the wage cut. This has led to my supervisors being late with my breaks, if they even give me one at all. I also have to ask 3-4 times before they even respond to me, and I usually just get told they’ll get to it. I can’t anything in the contract regarding part timer breaks, so I don’t know if I can grieve this. Should I just walk off and take my break? Any advice is appreciated.
I wouldn’t walk off, they can fire you for insubordination. Instead when you need a break just tell them you need the bathroom, go into the stahl and sit for 5-10 minutes. Then at the end of your shift, take your break and get an extra 50 minutes paid per week. They can’t do anything to you for using the restroom.

Non liberal

I echo your sentiments somewhat. However, there can be abuses on both sides. It's not one-way. There are dangerous things going on in that belt system....a coordinated process needs to be followed. This makes safe sense. Now, if you have someone abusing the "system" or taking advantage....a far more complicated story.

I believe there could be plenty they could do. With new rules or procedures that would hurt(really inconvenience) many others.
Not the employees problem, have someone to cover bathroom breaks.

Non liberal

If you gotta piss you gotta piss
I just always say I have the :censored2:s. They don’t want to deal with that mess. Had a coworker try and go home early because he had stomach issues, they said no, so he :censored2: his pants right in the dispatch room…. They sent him home early and never Gave him a problem again when he called off.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
giphy.gif

OK, break time...

Staydryitsraining

I'll assume you have some kind of common sense and trouble shooting skills. You ask to pee and you sit there waiting, what do they do to you if you just go and come back? Nothing, let's say they do something, you file a grievance on it and it gets thrown out, why? I don't know because you asked to go to the bathroom they made you wait and you claimed you couldn't hold it any longer. My God you solved your own problem.

upser2020

First off I don't buy the it takes 20 minutes to restart bs. We have the same automation where I'm at(I just got a belt tender position) and we still typically do building breaks. The unload / primary tenders just hit their e-stops and clear them once back from break. All the primaries stop. Outbound and small sort sometimes run thru break and do individual breaks(which is something I wholly disagree with but that's another discussion). I know some sorts don't do building breaks but if that's the case they should have aa's or(I know technically not allowed) pt sups cover breaks for tenders.