Getting rid of the Hand Scanner for Package Car Loaders???

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
they're just grasping at straws. they want to eliminate misloads without making each loader responsible for only a single truck. It's a fool's errand, but anyone that admits as much is toast. they implemented the scanners which drastically reduced misloads but costs lots of time. now they're eliminating the scans which is just likely to bring back more misloads. RFID tagging every single package is going to cost a fortune, and likely will be fraught with problems.

in my center we had a sort aisle where sorters would use imprinters to pal pieces as they sorted them. it had its issues, most of which could've been addressed by a competent supervisor that knew how the system worked but you know. they got rid of it, and now they can't tell who on the sort aisle is missorting their pieces. it's so hilarious because with just a smidge of intuition it's so easy to predict exactly what intractable problem their new scheme is going to produce.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
they're just grasping at straws. they want to eliminate misloads without making each loader responsible for only a single truck. It's a fool's errand, but anyone that admits as much is toast. they implemented the scanners which drastically reduced misloads but costs lots of time. now they're eliminating the scans which is just likely to bring back more misloads. RFID tagging every single package is going to cost a fortune, and likely will be fraught with problems.

in my center we had a sort aisle where sorters would use imprinters to pal pieces as they sorted them. it had its issues, most of which could've been addressed by a competent supervisor that knew how the system worked but you know. they got rid of it, and now they can't tell who on the sort aisle is missorting their pieces. it's so hilarious because with just a smidge of intuition it's so easy to predict exactly what intractable problem their new scheme is going to produce.
Implementing new tools and methods along with competent and knowledgeable supervisors? 🤣

Johney

Off topic, but speaking of buildings so the 26 million dollar(at this point still a year out from total completion) addition to my old building is a complete disaster from what I'm being told. So they built three air trailer doors for unloading air, well apparently someone miscalculated something because they can only use one due to poor engineering as two doors are blocked by conveyor equipment(chuckle). So the "temporary" motherships used for air during construction are now permanent(they tie up two unload doors)(chuckle). Slides going onto belts for package car loading are undersized so not only do they constantly jam so the belts feeding the slides get so hot they shut down every few minutes(chuckle). You can't make this stuff up.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Off topic, but speaking of buildings so the 26 million dollar(at this point still a year out from total completion) addition to my old building is a complete disaster from what I'm being told. So they built three air trailer doors for unloading air, well apparently someone miscalculated something because they can only use one due to poor engineering as two doors are blocked by conveyor equipment(chuckle). So the "temporary" motherships used for air during construction are now permanent(they tie up two unload doors)(chuckle). Slides going onto belts for package car loading are undersized so not only do they constantly jam so the belts feeding the slides get so hot they shut down every few minutes(chuckle). You can't make this stuff up.
Chuckle

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
BETTER NOT BIGGER

One day at a time

....by CEO initiative for RFID and automation that will eliminate 1,200 (union) jobs at 100 centers in 2022 as stated in the CEO's Q1 conference call with investors.

the sentence needs some expansion like I provided above as "being phased out" doesn't do justice to what is really happening.
Not to worry if it is carried out like Orion,cir,next day air,and the new diad there will be more work.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
What jobs does thls even eliminate? The sort aisle, pickoffs, not the crappy loaders that recycle daily? How is this supposed to help? Just curious?

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
What jobs does thls even eliminate? The sort aisle, pickoffs, not the crappy loaders that recycle daily? How is this supposed to help? Just curious?
We have 4 robots that pull trains of irregs around. They always break down and it actually created more jobs . Can’t make it up. And they cost $250k each!

Poop Head

Judge me.
Preloaders should be starting out at 25 an hour, insurance and vacation weeks after 30 days. Then ups could attract and retain good quality people.

Personally, i think preloading (well) is the hardest hourly job at ups.