Getting rid of the Hand Scanner for Package Car Loaders???

RealPerson

Is this company wide or just our center?
Pre-Load -- Our loaders were told that instead of getting new upgraded technology, we are doing away with the current scanners.
The amount of misloads is already increasing, ha.
I was just wondering if this backwards step is company wide???

Its_a_me

It's a CEO initiative in the Q1 earnings's call. You can read it HERE.

• UPS plans to implement its smart package initiative at 100 facilities in 2022, which will involve using RFID tags on packages to speed up throughput, CEO Carol Tomé said
  • The initiative will eliminate 20 million manual scans daily for UPS employees loading its package cars. “If that doesn’t drive productivity, I don’t know what will, and it will avoid all the missorts,” Tomé said. “When a package gets missorted and it goes into the wrong package car, that’s not a very good experience for our customer, and [it’s] actually just a drag on productivity.”
  • Using RFID tags will also help UPS in its goal of eliminating $500 million in non-operating costs this year, according to Tomé. “When you introduce technology, it can free up a lot of manual activities. And we’re really all about putting our resources where we can get the highest return,” she said.
“Of the automation activities we have underway, be it automated label application or automated bagging or robotic sort induction, it’s a headcount opportunity this year alone of 1,200 people inside our buildings and that’s going to double next year and continue to take off.”

They are looking to put RFID's on packages by peak. They are looking to cut 1,200 (union) jobs via the automation at 100 centers nationwide this year.

It was in the notes to her last conference call with investors.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
It's a CEO initiative in the Q1 earnings's call. You can read it HERE.

They are looking to put RFID's on packages by peak. They are looking to cut 1,200 (union) jobs via the automation at 100 centers nationwide this year.

It was in the notes to her last conference call with investors.
😳

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Is this company wide or just our center?
Pre-Load -- Our loaders were told that instead of getting new upgraded technology, we are doing away with the current scanners.
The amount of misloads is already increasing, ha.
I was just wondering if this backwards step is company wide???
They quit using scanners here. I get an average of 2-5 misloads per day. Don’t even text em in anymore (unless it’s a business) & run at end of day $$$… and preload isn’t wrapped up any earlier smh 🤦‍♂️.. I give up lol

Its_a_me

Being phased out
....by CEO initiative for RFID and automation that will eliminate 1,200 (union) jobs at 100 centers in 2022 as stated in the CEO's Q1 conference call with investors.

the sentence needs some expansion like I provided above as "being phased out" doesn't do justice to what is really happening.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Along with the jobs, apparently
how's that going to go for them
"Hey steve, we know you are having trouble fitting the furniture into that car, we're giving you a fifth truck, it's longer"

If I was back on the preload, the very first thing that would happen, is I would build a stack cart full of illegible packages to have new labels and numbers placed on them. as opposed to having a hand scanner that very conveniently gives you that information.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

They probably spent tens of millions of dollars not three years ago on those stupid white Bluetooth bars glued to our shelves and on those dumb finger scanners for loaders and within months our center abandoned it. It took so long to scan everything boxes would pile up outside the cars and preload would wrap even later than it usually did. Probably the same genius that implemented that idea was the same guy that changed FL1, FL2, FL3 and FL4 to MFR, MFL, FDR and FDL which exploded misloads in our building. You know what? Pretty sure those changes came about at the same time. The IT guy needed to justify his salary so he created a misload problem and a solution to it, but in UPS fashion botched it both ways. A good and cheap solution would be to fire or move crappy loaders.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
....by CEO initiative for RFID and automation that will eliminate 1,200 (union) jobs at 100 centers in 2022 as stated in the CEO's Q1 conference call with investors.

the sentence needs some expansion like I provided above as "being phased out" doesn't do justice to what is really happening.
Ask ups mangement, I just work there, they like to waste money on dumb things then waste more money

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge

But what you do need to know is whatever they do will make things worse

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
sorta

Smart Scan is being discontinued across the country by July; i could dissect their (made up) reasons but what it comes down to is this:
>we can't hold the preloads accountable for anything but the bare minimum to get the package (somewhere) on the truck

seeing this, i do not believe the RFID thing will happen until it basically requires 0 interaction with a loader (so maybe a decade +)

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
They probably spent tens of millions of dollars not three years ago on those stupid white Bluetooth bars glued to our shelves and on those dumb finger scanners for loaders and within months our center abandoned it. It took so long to scan everything boxes would pile up outside the cars and preload would wrap even later than it usually did. A good and cheap solution would be to fire or move crappy loaders.
we have scraped that barrel as hard as it can be scraped

the fact is we cannot attract enough non-morons to the preload to implement anything that would reduce misloads

i've been to buildings with smart demographics; low and behold their scanners work, they scan everything, and the preload is clean when the drivers pull out
i've also been to buildings with idiot demographics; low and behold all the scanners are broke (or missing), they don't scan :censored2:, and the preload is a mess

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
we have scraped that barrel as hard as it can be scraped

the fact is we cannot attract enough non-morons to the preload to implement anything that would reduce misloads

i've been to buildings with smart demographics; low and behold their scanners work, they scan everything, and the preload is clean when the drivers pull out
i've also been to buildings with idiot demographics; low and behold all the scanners are broke (or missing), they don't scan :censored2:, and the preload is a mess
My building is the latter