Getting through peak

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I wanna read some of you old timers responses to this question; what do you do mentally different during peak?
I made book in January. Loaded last peak, so I know what it LOOKS like. I also worked on a cruise ship for a couple years which required 12+ hour days for months at a time with no days off. I know I'm gonna be fine, just want some advice. Do you slow way down to compensate for the extra work????

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I wanna read some of you old timers responses to this question; what do you do mentally different during peak?
I made book in January. Loaded last peak, so I know what it LOOKS like. I also worked on a cruise ship for a couple years which required 12+ hour days for months at a time with no days off. I know I'm gonna be fine, just want some advice. Do you slow way down to compensate for the extra work????
It’s just packages. Not hearts. Deliver one at a time. It works itself out.

Work at a steady and safe place. You're paid by the hour and they certainly don't pay much if you're injured. Follow methods. Watch your feet. Maintain egress. Accidents happen even when you're paying attention.

I start at medium, work towards "slow"(er), maintain that pace and then burst energy when hectic pulls come.

Really though it's how your body reacts and what you can do. Dress in layers. Stretch. Stay hydrated. Eat healthy.

Milk OT for every second. Make sure you sign up for extra work. They don't care about seniority when they drop sign up sheets.

The biggest part people fail at is burning up all their burst energy by trying to outwork everyone or make a name for themselves in the first 8 hours. Pulled muscles etc.

Best advice though is watch the non-seasonal around you and ask them for building specific things that nobody here can help with. Like my old building, if a splitter saw an oversize and knew a few bulks for that car came already, they immediately just send it out to pallets we would load. A lot changes when black Friday comes.

It's a marathon and never a race and everything always gets finished somehow so just don't kill yourself and always always always do a safety check of your area for slippables; labels etc, trippables; bands, and whatever else rhymes with ippables.

Oh and bring food. And by food I mean food not snacks. I always keep a package or two of gummies in my bag (real fruit ones), because somebody seems to always get blood sugar crashes and not learn from it. Nothing sucks more than being down a preloader.

I usually eat trail mix, granola, sandwiches with no mayo, anything really that gives you energy and doesn't need to be cooked or otherwise prepared (or can be done in advance). Don't forget fruit will freeze. I don't know why it's surprising but every year it happens and the person thinks it's magic or something.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Sleep, eat well during breaks this means protein and fruits. Dont rush yourself their is always more work if you get done early. If you have a helper treat them with respect and help them out, they are the only people that care if and when you get done. Keep a clean truck and organize all your shelves to make finding packages easier and not running back at the end of your day. Enjoy the weekends or at least one day of to rest up and catch up on chores that cant be done on the weekend.