Global warming

vantexan

I love trains. Used to take them all the time in the Northeast. Took one last year halfway across Ukraine. But the real necessity is local transport. In Europe many cities have trams. Mini trains. If they are convenient and cheap people will use them. If you have to hike half a mile to use one you most likely won't.

bbsam

Staff member
I live 125 miles from the Minneapolis airport and we have a flight to and from Mpls at least 3 times a day and in the summer 5 times a day. Mpls is Deltas hub and has a whole concourse dedicated to regional flights going to Wisc, Iowa, North and South Dakota and probably 20 cities in Minnesota. Mpls is also an international hub with flights direct to Europe and Asia. If I fly out of the local airport (Air Link owned by Delta) and use a connecting flight offered by Delta it is cheap and parking at the local airport is FREE.
$412 round trip from here to Chicago. Not incredibly cheap.

$218 from here to Minneapolis. I wouldn’t call it cheap.

rod

Retired 22 years
$412 round trip from here to Chicago. Not incredibly cheap.

$218 from here to Minneapolis. I wouldn’t call it cheap.
What I meant by cheap was if you have a flight from here to Mpls and your next leg is on Delta the fare is fairly cheap as compared to if to change to AA or one of the other airlines in Mpls. Also if you just fly from here to Mpls its really expensive. The airlines have just about as many different rates as UPS.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I live 125 miles from the Minneapolis airport and we have a flight to and from Mpls at least 3 times a day and in the summer 5 times a day. Mpls is Deltas hub and has a whole concourse dedicated to regional flights going to Wisc, Iowa, North and South Dakota and probably 20 cities in Minnesota. Mpls is also an international hub with flights direct to Europe and Asia. If I fly out of the local airport (Air Link owned by Delta) and use a connecting flight offered by Delta it is cheap and parking at the local airport is FREE.
Then why don’t you fly your silly ass away on one of Delta’s big assed jets?

LarryBird

Flying sucks--period
Yeah, I miss the good old days of months long trips on ocean liners crossing the Atlantic, and driving across the country to California on wagon trains - getting to Europe or California from the east coast in 5 hours blows.

:censored2: progress, amirite?

Slow and steady...

rod

Retired 22 years
Yeah, I miss the good old days of months long trips on ocean liners crossing the Atlantic, and driving across the country to California on wagon trains - getting to Europe or California from the east coast in 5 hours blows.

:censored2: progress, amirite?

Slow and steady...
Apparently you don't fly much. If you are lucky enough to actually get a flight that is on time they pack you in like sardines---that is if they haven't over booked the flight and you can't get on anyway. Flying sucks.

LarryBird

Apparently you don't fly much. If you are lucky enough to actually get a flight that is on time they pack you in like sardines---that is if they haven't over booked the flight and you can't get on anyway. Flying sucks.
Well, you could always pay for an upgrade to business or 1st class if the lack of room for a few hours is that big of an issue for you. The vast majority of flights are on time and half empty, so I really don't understand your other complaints.

When you consider the alternative, which is driving, then I'd say your above complaints are minor. Driving anything more than like 6 hours is the absolute worst. Especially when you compare that an 8 hour drive is like a 1 hour flight.

rod

Retired 22 years
Well, you could always pay for an upgrade to business or 1st class if the lack of room for a few hours is that big of an issue for you. The vast majority of flights are on time and half empty, so I really don't understand your other complaints.

When you consider the alternative, which is driving, then I'd say your above complaints are minor. Driving anything more than like 6 hours is the absolute worst. Especially when you compare that an 8 hour drive is like a 1 hour flight.
Fly from Minneapolis to Dallas. I guarantee EVERY flight (year around) is full to the point of being over booked. I've flown it dozens of times and its always full. I still say you haven't flown much if you still enjoy it. I'm old enough to remember when you actually had some leg room when flying. Hell - I used to fly stand-by and never had any problem.

LarryBird

Fly from Minneapolis to Dallas. I guarantee EVERY flight (year around) is full to the point of being over booked. I've flown it dozens of times and its always full. I still say you haven't flown much if you still enjoy it. I'm old enough to remember when you actually had some leg room when flying. Hell - I used to fly stand-by and never had any problem.
I don't enjoy it, but I recognize that it's much better than the alternative.

You can't mount an argument that it isn't, at least not without planting your tongue firmly in your cheek, that is.

Long drives vs flying = big win for planes
Extremely long voyage vs flying = bigger win for planes

floridays

Flying sucks--period
I love it, with the gear up, beyond that I agree, lotta bs, lotta trouble, I'm glad i'm old, like it at home and the kids and grandkids are with in 45 min.
You ain't my dad, have a good day tomorrow Rod, Monday go screw yourself:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Happy Father's Day Sir:thumbup1::thumbup1:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Germs in a tin can and flying along with ebola stricken, and TB ridden Congolese so they can get to Portland Maine.....that's why I've given up flying altogether...…..risky business!

LarryBird

I'll just leave this here:
Future State Podcast: The Future State with Richard A. Clarke
(Episode #22)

Future State is a podcast hosted by Richard Clarke, who's served in both democratic and republican administrations, in the realm of national security. The podcast is about the future of our country, and where/how politics, technology, and national security intersect moving forward, and each episode involves a different topic affected by them.

Episode 22 is about the future of our planet. It's mostly a talk about global warming with guest Gina McCarthy.

Best podcast going right now. Every episode has been fantastic. Richard Clarke has been one of the people I've looked up to for a long time now, since I became aware of him, in the months after 9/11. Brilliant guy.

I highly recommend anyone who is interested in politics listen to every episode. We certainly have a lot of listening time to kill at work, so this will fill some of that time if you're looking for something good. Not a bad episode in the bunch, which is impressive over 2 seasons, and 22 episodes thus far. I look forward to it every week.

rickyb

What I meant by cheap was if you have a flight from here to Mpls and your next leg is on Delta the fare is fairly cheap as compared to if to change to AA or one of the other airlines in Mpls. Also if you just fly from here to Mpls its really expensive. The airlines have just about as many different rates as UPS.
flights in north america are much more expensive than europe. and north american flyers have less rights than europeans.