Globalization and Globalism are not the Same!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I see these two words used interchangeably while I see them as being very different and used incorrectly.

Globalization is a natural and symbiotic relationships between businesses in different countries. It is based on process and the natural lure of exchanging goods that the other wants. It is a self-emerging, beneficial building of multi-national and multi-cultural relationships.
i.e. - Ron Paul

Globalism is moral and ideological in nature and politically motivated to force nation states to actively participate in globalization ... forcibly imposed rather naturally occurring.
These nation states try to impose and force their citizens to accept multi-cultural and international relationships that would not otherwise occur.
i.e. - Obama, Bush Jr, Clinton

This is something I am just beginning to investigate so I welcome all (even @rickyb) to give their thoughts on the differences between the two.
Which politicians do you think represent the two factions.

vantexan

I see these two words used interchangeably while I see them as being very different and used incorrectly.

Globalization is a natural and symbiotic relationships between businesses in different countries. It is based on process and the natural lure of exchanging goods that the other wants. It is a self-emerging, beneficial building of multi-national and multi-cultural relationships.
i.e. - Ron Paul

Globalism is moral and ideological in nature and politically motivated to force nation states to actively participate in globalization ... forcibly imposed rather naturally occurring.
These nation states try to impose and force their citizens to accept multi-cultural and international relationships that would not otherwise occur.
i.e. - Obama, Bush Jr, Clinton

This is something I am just beginning to investigate so I welcome all (even @rickyb) to give their thoughts on the differences between the two.
Which politicians do you think represent the two factions.
Why limit it to U.S. politicians? Look what Merkel has done to Germany. Heck, look what the EU has done to Europe. If multinationals want to go into another country to do business, for example Ford is big in Great Britain and Australia, that's fine. Exploiting cheap labor in other countries at the expense of the American working class, not so much.

newfie

Good point!

HEY!
Look all you goobers ... this is not limited to the USA.
upload_2017-4-20_9-44-45.png

wkmac

That makes two of us ... I was hoping someone like @wkmac would weigh in on the Dualism existing in the GlobalHead with the internal struggles trying to reconcile the Globalism/Globalization turmoil and conflict with such a close etymology. :confused:

Sorry but I've been fighting a bad case of poison ivy that I think I got 2 weekends ago cutting down some trees with my son. Never had poison ivy once in my life, use to roll in it when I was a kid and not the first problem. Time for payback I guess. Went and got a steroid shot this morning before heading to work and WOW does it make a difference. No more fleas! ;)

Globalization is a bottom up process, not unlike the internet itself. It is a kind of spontaneous order where people regardless of location or borders coexist or work with each other to their mutual interests or assistance. Benefits are broad reaching, often decentralized.

Globalism seems to me is top down, terms and conditions dictated to protect certain interests of power in spite of the harm it may cause or do to others. Benefits are restricted and confined, often centralized.

That's my simplified take on it.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Sorry but I've been fighting a bad case of poison ivy that I think I got 2 weekends ago cutting down some trees with my son. Never had poison ivy once in my life, use to roll in it when I was a kid and not the first problem. Time for payback I guess. Went and got a steroid shot this morning before heading to work and WOW does it make a difference. No more fleas! ;)

Globalization is a bottom up process, not unlike the internet itself. It is a kind of spontaneous order where people regardless of location or borders coexist or work with each other to their mutual interests or assistance. Benefits are broad reaching, often decentralized.

Globalism seems to me is top down, terms and conditions dictated to protect certain interests of power in spite of the harm it may cause or do to others. Benefits are restricted and confined, often centralized.

That's my simplified take on it.
A post from a true intellect that does not simply repeat what they heard from pundits in the last couple of days.

I miss this type of thoughtful exchange!