Going Feeders from 5 Years Part-Time "On-Topic"

Ya Dad

Gimme me more characters so that I finish this se
Never mind on that sticky. Guess it's state-specific. Damn that took forever to type out

Johney

First thing my sup taught on our pretrip was as you approach the vehicle look for damage and leaks. Then the very next thing was to open the door and check the DVIR to make sure there was no safety issue written up. Because if there was you most likely weren't using that vehicle anyway.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
When I went through class we spent very little time on learning the pretrip. They gave us examples everyday but that was something we were to buddy up and practice/learn on our own time before our test. They knew they were throwing a lot at us and the big things were to make good decisions and show improvement everyday.

Obviously the 5 and 10 are needed, wasn't word for word written out like package but they wanted more of the how makes you a better driver and how it fits a situation. Clearing intersections and cars on the side of the road, turn setup, trailer tailswing, using mirrors and not coasting in nuetral is what they really watched in the cab.

Take notes every day...proper direction for pre and post trip inspections, proper steps to couple and uncouple trailers and the dolly when they show you.

Right now I would be watching every video you can find about double clutching.

budlight

hey friend* face
Here, as a pter going into feeders, you had to hold the actual license before you would be given your road test. I got my permit, went through a tech school and at the end of that had my license test. Passed, got my license and the next day had my road test with feeders. Passed that and started the UPS version of school 2 weeks later. 1st week is unpaid where you do a lot of pre-trips, driving, backing and generally learning the UPS way. The 2nd week, production week, is where you actually do the job. A lot of the time, you'll be able to learn a lot of the runs, find out where the different centers are. I believe if you pass the production week, you do get paid for the first week.

If they do take you on as a pter without the actual license, the only advice I have is good luck. I don't know how I could have learned how to drive a tractor/trailer in 2 weeks with the trainer I had. I'm glad I chose the route I did as far as the tech school. It takes a special someone to be able to teach people how to relearn to drive. My trainer was an angry prick and I can't believe anyone that learned from him ever passed. No offense pickles.