Going to have a mental breakdown from indecisiveness on going fulltime based of this board

OntCombo63

If you've been with the company long enough to go ft driver you should know if you have what it takes.it's always going to be $$$ vs your free time and if you're a family man. Can your family understand the commitment it takes to drive ft.

Imchar1

Everyone in different post says its not worth it but then others say it is.

I have a lot of senority at the company as an air driver. But i see new fulltime faces everyday and know that nows the time to go. Well technically january 2014 would of been but still...

Air driver:
-Decent money
-Job secure cause i cant really screw up because its easy
-Weird hours but can sleep in
-Its just :censored2:ing easy with good pay getting max ground wages when they need me
-Worst thing is no secure income, i make anywhere from 500-2500 in a week and if the economy ever dips i wont be making :censored2: for awhile.
-Also more oppurtunities for inside jobs as my senority grows

Full time:
-Great money
-Fun being outside, generally away from management
-Less job security, if i get in accidents/injured i could get fired/stuck on disability
-Long hours, less social life but get actual weekends

Every damn day for the last two months i think, "ok im switching to fulltime," 5min later "air drivers better." Literally every 5min for last 2 months. Cant :censored2:ing make a commitment and just keep losing senority if my decision is to go fulltime :/

I am an EAM driver, top part time seniority in the building. I will not go full time. Even if I wanted to I couldn't because of my wife's job. Is the pension worth it???... no.

Imchar1

$5K/month sounds "worth it" to me.

Resident know-it-all.
I don't know how old you are but I am fairly young still. I am fairly certain the pension will fail by the time I am ready to collect on it. I am also in the region with the strongest pension funding. It is more than likely at some point you will be lucky to get half but a more realistic guess is 1/3 rd. Got a 401K? Don't count on that either. Government has already talked about taking those. Ever hear of MyRA?

The fact is pensions eventually fail then govt takes them over at pennies on the dollar. With the federal debt what it is.... lets put it this way if your a baby boomer and retiring in the next 5 years or so most of your retirement should be comfy. Just get as much of it in your possession and out of institutions.

For Gen Xers like me, we will never see any of it, we will only pay.

So no I don't think its worth it because I doubt the promise will be kept. It will be reduced, taxed, and finally whatever is left will be eaten by inflation because of decades and decades of non existing fiscal policy and incredibly reckless and irresponsible monetary policy.

wayfair

swollen member
I don't know how old you are but I am fairly young still. I am fairly certain the pension will fail by the time I am ready to collect on it. I am also in the region with the strongest pension funding. It is more than likely at some point you will be lucky to get half but a more realistic guess is 1/3 rd. Got a 401K? Don't count on that either. Government has already talked about taking those. Ever hear of MyRA?

The fact is pensions eventually fail then govt takes them over at pennies on the dollar. With the federal debt what it is.... lets put it this way if your a baby boomer and retiring in the next 5 years or so most of your retirement should be comfy. Just get as much of it in your possession and out of institutions.

For Gen Xers like me, we will never see any of it, we will only pay.

So no I don't think its worth it because I doubt the promise will be kept. It will be reduced, taxed, and finally whatever is left will be eaten by inflation because of decades and decades of non existing fiscal policy and incredibly reckless and irresponsible monetary policy.

they've been saying that for decades

Imchar1

they've been saying that for decades
About 4 years ago I think I read the Western Region was funded to 98%. Within the last year or 2 I think I read its at 88 or 92%. Its going to drop like a rock. Other regions are worse. Its a ponzi scheme like social security or medicare. Many decades ago there were more people paying in more money and less people drawing less money. With baby boomers retiring and inflation caused by massive debt and inflated money supply, the costs will go up UPS won't agree to pay exponentially more to cover it so we will give up raises and other concessions, it won't be enough, the tipping point is now.

When social security started there was 45 workers per retiree. Today there are 3 workers per retiree. The tipping point is now.

It may have been said for decades but now the math is catching up. There is no denying it. There is no argument that can be made to refute it.

Too many people too few dollars, not to mention an economy supported by government spending and part time jobs where any disposable income is swallowed up by student loan debt, fuel, and exponentially increasing healthcare costs among other things to.

wayfair

swollen member
About 4 years ago I think I read the Western Region was funded to 98%. Within the last year or 2 I think I read its at 88 or 92%. Its going to drop like a rock. Other regions are worse. Its a ponzi scheme like social security or medicare. Many decades ago there were more people paying in more money and less people drawing less money. With baby boomers retiring and inflation caused by massive debt and inflated money supply, the costs will go up UPS won't agree to pay exponentially more to cover it so we will give up raises and other concessions, it won't be enough, the tipping point is now.

When social security started there was 45 workers per retiree. Today there are 3 workers per retiree. The tipping point is now.

It may have been said for decades but now the math is catching up. There is no denying it. There is no argument that can be made to refute it.

Too many people too few dollars, not to mention an economy supported by government spending and part time jobs where any disposable income is swallowed up by student loan debt, fuel, and exponentially increasing healthcare costs among other things to.

Well I guess you better get a bigger mattress

Imchar1

Well I guess you better get a bigger mattress

I'm prepared regardless of a 401K or pension or social security or whatever.

I had to tell my wife to keep her mouth shut to her side of the family. These are all people who think everyone else owes them a living especially if you have something and they don't.

MethodsMan

I'm prepared regardless of a 401K or pension or social security or whatever.

I had to tell my wife to keep her mouth shut to her side of the family. These are all people who think everyone else owes them a living especially if you have something and they don't.

mmmmhmmmmmm

codysho

Man up & go full time. They cut the air routes at my center, now we gotta break trace to pick up air then go meet a shuttle. It sucks

Sent using BrownCafe App

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Everyone in different post says its not worth it but then others say it is.

I have a lot of senority at the company as an air driver. But i see new fulltime faces everyday and know that nows the time to go. Well technically january 2014 would of been but still...

Air driver:
-Decent money
-Job secure cause i cant really screw up because its easy
-Weird hours but can sleep in
-Its just :censored2:ing easy with good pay getting max ground wages when they need me
-Worst thing is no secure income, i make anywhere from 500-2500 in a week and if the economy ever dips i wont be making :censored2: for awhile.
-Also more oppurtunities for inside jobs as my senority grows

Full time:
-Great money
-Fun being outside, generally away from management
-Less job security, if i get in accidents/injured i could get fired/stuck on disability
-Long hours, less social life but get actual weekends

Every damn day for the last two months i think, "ok im switching to fulltime," 5min later "air drivers better." Literally every 5min for last 2 months. Cant :censored2:ing make a commitment and just keep losing senority if my decision is to go fulltime :/
No way in hell you brought home 2500. That is like mileage pay for feeders.

Imchar1

No way in hell you brought home 2500. That is like mileage pay for feeders.

I didn't even notice that number, during xmas when I run ground at 60 hours I think 2300 gross is the max a driver could get.

I get the OP point, on a slow week I will take home 500-600 other weeks as much as 1200-1300. We are getting a new dispatcher so I suspect the slow weeks will be few and far between for a while.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Remember, people come on here to complain. No one jumps on here to tell everyone how they had a good day. It's the internet, where people get to pop off anonymously.

At the end of the day, FT drivers that quit is almost nonexistent. Don't you think there's a good reason for that?
Money. I have seen a few quit. Most before full scale because they know once they see a check with a comma in it they won't quit.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I didn't even notice that number, during xmas when I run ground at 60 hours I think 2300 gross is the max a driver could get.

I get the OP point, on a slow week I will take home 500-600 other weeks as much as 1200-1300. We are getting a new dispatcher so I suspect the slow weeks will be few and far between for a while.
Man you all bringing home 1200+ can't be putting squat away for retirement.

Or you have like 6 kids to claim.