Going to panel

AKCoverMan

Some times people get lost in nonsense. Do any of you for one second actually think this guy was fired and sent to panel because he occasionally made 1 stop 2? Come on people.
Had a guy terminated for having a meth head with no license, no insurance, and visquene for a rear view window stop in middle of road, then throw it in reverse and hit our stopped package car who was laying on his horn.

It was his second tier one inside of nine months but met none of the thresholds for term not to mention that in no way should this have been an avoidable crash.

so yeah, I can believe the story

Trucker Clock

Had a guy terminated for having a meth head with no license, no insurance, and visquene for a rear view window stop in middle of road, then throw it in reverse and hit our stopped package car who was laying on his horn.

Any witnesses? Sound like the Company didn't believe the driver.

I wouldn't put it past anyone to stop, throw it in reverse, hit us and then claim that we rear ended them. But if this driver already had one within 9 months, maybe the Company just thought it was an excuse.

It was his second tier one

Hit other in rear is a Tier 3

but met none of the thresholds for term

Should be progressive discipline. If he received a warning letter for the first one, the second should be a suspension, not a termination.

Did the Panel uphold the termination?

not to mention that in no way should this have been an avoidable crash.

Not if it happened the way you described. Although, I've heard many wild, made up stories, by drivers to blame someone else for an accident. I had to actually try and defend a driver who said he put the package car in drive but when he hit the gas, it went in reverse and hit a car behind him.

so yeah, I can believe the story

There's usually more to the story if it seems fairly minor but a driver is discharged. Who's story do we believe?

AKCoverMan

Any witnesses? Sound like the Company didn't believe the driver.

I wouldn't put it past anyone to stop, throw it in reverse, hit us and then claim that we rear ended them. But if this driver already had one within 9 months, maybe the Company just thought it was an excuse.
No the driver of other car left scene Because he had suspended license and no insurance. Apparently mgmt talked to people at house car came from. Troopers didn’t want to do much since no injuries and only damage was to the meth mobile.

Hit other in rear is a Tier 3
The other driver had just left his house and our driver had just completed a delivery a few houses down.. So we were following the other other car down otherwise empty street. Other car comes to stop in middle of road so we come to complete stop over two car lengths back wondering WTF. We see reverse lights come on…well, one anyway the other light is busted out. We lay on the horn but meth head just rams backward anyway while we’re stopped. Not “hit other in rear” it’s a ”backed into by other while stopped”. Not a tier 3 and originally our management agreed it was unavoidable. Later someone at District changed it to avoidable claiming we were “following to close” but we were at a DEAD STOP.

Did the Panel uphold the termination?
We reduced to one day suspension at center level hearing. Still BS but he never served it and it’s fallen off now. Think they knew all along it wasn’t going to stick.

Was told at one point that he was asked how long it took other car to back into him and he answered “I don’t know a couple of seconds maybe” and someone in District decided that meant he only had two seconds following distance (4-6 under 30 mph). But this is not a “following distance“ that’s when you’re moving in traffic. We came to a stop in traffic and properly stopped over one car length away. He said he intentionally stayed back since stopping on empty road was odd. They basically applied the wrong rule to the wrong situation.

If you stop at traffic light behind another car over one car length of space and light turns green and car in front puts in Reverse and backs into you it should be unavoidable right? That’s basically what happened without the stoplight.

Trucker Clock

If you stop at traffic light behind another car over one car length of space and light turns green and car in front puts in Reverse and backs into you it should be unavoidable right? That’s basically what happened without the stoplight.

Yes. This should have stayed unavoidable. When stopped in traffic, leave one car length's space between you and the vehicle in front of you. Someone in district needs to get their head out of their ass.

The Company trains us. We follow their training to a "T." We stop in traffic using their methods and then they charge us with an accident. Nothing this Company does surprises me.

Thanks for the further details. I think you said a driver was terminated over this. I see now.

The problem is that the Union cannot grieve what the Company claims is an avoidable accident. We can only file a protest grievance.

AKCoverMan

I think you said a driver was terminated over this.
Yes but we reduced to one day suspension which he never served. Still ticks me off but it was a “path of least resistance” to solve it at center level. BA said our Protest of the crash finding was on record and we could always use it as evidence if some future crash made this a thing. But in end it’s been about two years now so never was a factor. Driver actually would have been glad to take day off lol

AKCoverMan

This was obviously a “working termination“ his name was still on the route in PDS the morning of the Center Level grievance which we held in a corner of the building since we don’t have any offices or break rooms or such.

We happily put up with the lack of proper facilities because we realize that our Company is just days away from bankruptcy. What? What’s that you say? Record profits?? Well damn, WTF!! Can we get a real building please?

Doing time

Agreed, new boards and program are garbage, mistakes are easy to make. Does anyone know to record a stop that has 2 packages, one of them being an sig req and the other can be dr’d, and the person not being home resulting in a not in 1 for the sig req pkg? Our center team doesn’t know how to and says to record them separately, which leads to 2 stops for the same address since there’s no duplicate stop option.

OP go down swinging so to speak, take it to panel, it can go either way. Very political on panel day depending on the cases heard that day. Good luck.
Click on the stop. Hit start to show listed packages. You then swipe left on the signature required package to see the non-delivery options. This must be done before scanning the package. After the package is scanned swiping left has no option for non-delivery. Makes no sense at all. We had to have a driver brainstorm to figure it out.