Good Books ( On Topic Please )

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Just finished a good book titled " Closer To The Light ".

It is about children who had NDE's. Near death experiences. very interesting. I read the book by Moody years ago about NDE's. like reading books on this subject.

I read mostly non fiction . but my favorite author is John Steinbeck. right now am reading the memoir of Studs Turkel. Have read almost everyone of his books. a great modern historian.

We have about 2000 books give or take. Have a whole room dedicated to the collection. Some are on sale at amazon.com. Sold one last week for $169. It was a story about a famous rock star. The only reason I sell some books is so I can buy more books.

Let's please keep this On Topic for book lovers. I would like to hear what other members like to read and why and if you also have book collections and what genre or favorite author.

Thanks.

rod

Retired 22 years
I could count the books I've read since high school on one hand. My wife reads about 5 books a week. It does keep her out of my hair.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I could count the books I've read since high school on one hand. My wife reads about 5 books a week. It does keep her out of my hair.
What kind of books does she like to read? My Mom used to read about 5 books a week from the library but it was mostly fiction. I went thru a fiction phase in high school and college and for awhile was into Sci-fi.

now I find that true stuff is much more interesting.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I have read everything by Douglas Adams. My favorite was all 5 installments of the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy. Great Sci-Fi humor.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I have read everything by Douglas Adams. My favorite was all 5 installments of the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy. Great Sci-Fi humor.
Excellent books. some of them are quite collectible.

A first edition in excellent condition of his 1979/80 book with a good cover can be worth $300-600 or more.

I have a couple hardcovers but never looked to see if they were 1st editions. I don't have them for sale but maybe it would be worthwhile.

Thanks for the response.

Last edited:

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I acquired a hardbound edition of the Trilogy from a fellow tech school student. He found it in the back of a Blazer he'd bought. Loaned it to a fellow employee about 15 years ago and never saw it again.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I really enjoyed the Coffee Table book of Coffee tables. Author's name was Cosmo Kramer. Good one to sink your teeth into after a long day

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am a huge John Grisham fan. I have all of his books in hardcover. My daughter pre-ordered his most recent one for me for Father's Day. It is due out in October and I can't wait to read it.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I acquired a hardbound edition of the Trilogy from a fellow tech school student. He found it in the back of a Blazer he'd bought. Loaned it to a fellow employee about 15 years ago and never saw it again.
For many years, I loaned out a lot of books and never received any of them back. Now I just find out what a person is interested in and then gift them a book on the subject. everyone wins.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
My two favorite books are mein kampf and catcher in the rye...I also like books about true crime and different gangs...haven't read a book in at least five years though

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
My two favorite books are mein kampf and catcher in the rye...I also like books about true crime and different gangs...haven't read a book in at least five years though
if you like gang books , there are certain books about the Mafia that are worth a lot of money. there is one book that every time I find in a thrift store and put it up for sale for $100 , the sister of the gangster buys it.

a couple early books about the hell's angels are worth a lot. don't know much about true crime. some books about the holocaust are valuable.

The gang book titled "Monster" is pretty scary.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
You're OK ... that's just instigating
I am a big James Michener fan and classic Science Fiction.
History channel and Science channel type person.
You may like any book by Jane Goodall . or Curious George?

I love history books. It's funny because I hated history courses in college. Now I devour anything about American History . The back stories about famous historical events is especially interesting.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Even my beat up Hunter S. Thompson paperback?
probably not unless it was signed by the author. now if you find a good hardcover copy of that book , it would be great. send it to me, ha ha.

I have a hardcover of that book but it has a broken spine and it is still worth a lot . ( a 1st ed. ) I'll never give it up.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Hells Angels was an interesting read.
the part that i liked most was when Thompson was talking about taking his Vincent out one night and taking it to the "edge" . fabulous writing.

you may like the special they are running on the Discovery channel about the origins of HarleyDavidson.