Good ol' fashion UPS whippin'

trouble maker

I don't know about the rest of the country, but up here in the northeast, we got our asses kicked by the volume and POOR planning. Reminded me of the 80's and early 90's. 12 hour days, drivers running out of hours, helpers quiting, etc, etc,etc.:whiteflag:

W

westsideworma

I don't know about the rest of the country, but up here in the northeast, we got our asses kicked by the volume and POOR planning. Reminded me of the 80's and early 90's. 12 hour days, drivers running out of hours, helpers quiting, etc, etc,etc.:whiteflag:

seconded :surprised:

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but this had to be my lightest peak (and it's my 17th, 14 driving) I didn't work past sundown once. I ran the same route as the last 3 yrs. but stops were way down. My heaviest day was the 20th at 237 stops with an all day helper, and last year we broke 300 every day the last week. Is volume down everywhere, or am I just one of the lucky ones who didn't get slammed?

Big Babooba

It seems that this Christmas is like all the others. You would think that after a 100 years, they would have a better grasp on the situation. It's almost like Peak sneaks up and takes them by surprise. They just never see it coming and BOOM, all Hell breaks loose.:whiteflag:

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Thats what happens when you have a bunch of bean counters who have never delivered a package dictating how much it takes to do the job. It looks good on paper but in the real world NOT!!!!
:biting:

upsgrunt

We had a driver supe in the late 80's who said several years in a row, "once we get things the right way, you will never know that it is Christmas at UPS; it will just seem like the rest of the year around here". Either he was right on, or way off- I can't decide which!:happy2:

Big Babooba

We had a driver supe in the late 80's who said several years in a row, "once we get things the right way, you will never know that it is Christmas at UPS; it will just seem like the rest of the year around here". Either he was right on, or way off- I can't decide which!:happy2:
You know he was smoking something.

Sammie

Troublemaker, I've got to agree with you. Mr. Feeder guy in my family,
after 27 years in feeders, says he feels the company acts as tho they have never experienced a peak season before, the way things seem to lose focus during the busiest time of the year.

I think this begins with the current management teams, with all of their opinions and little ability to prove anything, and with the strongest personalities winning the battles, but not the wars. In years past, the
employees were trusted to get the job done without all of this micromanagement and 5 bosses to every employee.

It would be nice if hourly and mgmt were on the same page as they once were. As when drivers were held accountable for what they could control rather than now when they're responsible for what they can’t control, such as volume, hours, and the use helpers for 10 minutes a day.

The "fun" in the work here used to be when an employee used his talent, drive and thinking to crank out the work. But not any more.
You've got to wonder, if managers aren’t doing the sorts of things to improve operations, especially our peak seasons, just what ARE they spending their time on?

At any rate, we got thru another one, and best wishes to those who
made it thru peak season. Hope you enjoy your long weekend!

Channahon

Do you think the weather was a factor?

The IE dept plans peak volume on trends and the economy. Weather is never taken into consideration, although weather can and does have an impact on service to our customers and our drivers hours of service.

So is it possible drivers are out of hours, due to weather related delays and not poor planning?

As far as helpers go, that is always a crap shoot. A good manager who know how to utilize helpers, can hold onto them. On the other hand, some helpers spend one day on the road and figure "who needs this?"

Before I left UPS we used inside helpers, before outside helpers, knowing they are already at work and will be available for the most part.

UPS knows how hard their employees work during peak season, and recruit helpers who are relatives as well, with the thought the work ethic would be similar to our seasoned employees.

Just my thoughts and experience over the years

Merry Christmas to ALL

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
the basic rules are being forgotten by the beancounters and over managing types. 1 driver picks up package 2 another driver delivers that package customers are happy , the drivers are trusted and ups made money its not rocket science, it's not the cure for cancer or global peace, its a package from pt a to pt b with the customers being happy and ups turning a profit.i think mr casey would be disapointed at alot of bullsh555t that goes on here,drivers and managment !!!!!

Pollocknbrown

you can only work 60 hrs in a 7 day period,then you need 34 hrs off to re/set your clock pkg car and feeder drivers even though you don't need a cdl for pkg car . your still driving a commercial vehicle.

ok i understand that, thank you for saying, however, the driver isnt running out of time, the company is with the driver. It shouldnt be the drivers job to make it in under 12 hrs a day if they are dispatched more than that.