Got a txt for a change in start time, 2 minutes before new start time.

Ashell

So I showed up early because I was done with lunch early, and other people were showing up early too. Some of them already setting up. My fulltime sup shows up and says she just txted me that I could start early because we had some unexpected volume. I ask my buddy what time did she txt you, and he says just after noon. The new start time was 415 and my boss texted me at 413. I have more seniority than my buddy and another person there that was still in their first year.

I got to work. I got paid. But the whole thing is just shady. My boss has had integrity issues before. And she has favorites that often get to secretly double shift. I feel like something needs to go down on paper to document this shadiness, so when something bigger happens it sticks. I'm not sure how to put it though.

box_beeyotch

So I showed up early because I was done with lunch early, and other people were showing up early too. Some of them already setting up. My fulltime sup shows up and says she just txted me that I could start early because we had some unexpected volume. I ask my buddy what time did she txt you, and he says just after noon. The new start time was 415 and my boss texted me at 413. I have more seniority than my buddy and another person there that was still in their first year.

I got to work. I got paid. But the whole thing is just shady. My boss has had integrity issues before. And she has favorites that often get to secretly double shift. I feel like something needs to go down on paper to document this shadiness, so when something bigger happens it sticks. I'm not sure how to put it though.

They are required to give you 24 hours notice of a start time change. File a grievance for that, and for work not being offered in seniority order.

BrownTexas

They are required to give you 24 hours notice of a start time change. File a grievance for that, and for work not being offered in seniority order.
Not anymore. They are only required to tell you "in a timely manner" which translates to before the end of your previous shift. I wouldn't respond to texts or calls though. Unless it is in your favor.

oldngray

nowhere special
They can call you and ask you any time. You just aren't required to come in early and if you are starting before your scheduled start time it will be OT.

Ashell

The short notice is less of the issues than, the "oh poop" I got caught, then BS so if anyone ask you can say you told the employee. 2 minutes is not timely. And I'm pretty sure its implied you can't call a lower person hours before.

They can call you and ask you any time. You just aren't required to come in early and if you are starting before your scheduled start time it will be OT.

OT is only for FT, its not explicitly stated for PT.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
We can ask people to come in earlier the day of as long as it is in order of seniority. It doesn't make it a requirement that they show up at the new time though.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
When you also work OT at the end of the day it usually doesn't matter but it might if you have a light dispatch.
It surely does matter.
If they require you to start a half hour early, that half hour is at time and a half.
Then, seven and a half hours later at straight time, you reach the 8 hour mark and start receiving time and a half again.

In this Central Region scenario, it is possible to work 9 hours and receive 7.5 hours of straight time and 1.5 hours at time and a half.

Last edited:

Carnie

at my center i work Local sort . been there over 3 years and our start times are different every day. but we normally get 1 hour notice to start a shift and if they change the start time to later in the evening and i am already there our union contract states we can start at the original start time. as far as overtime over time starts working over 5 hrs.in a shift or more than 8 hours in a day