Got my first check from UPS today

mr_bennet

I got $111.52. I earned every single penny of it. My body is sore in places I didn't know could get sore and they gave me $111.52. This must be how prostitutes feel when their pimp takes the money they've made.

atatbl

This must be how prostitutes feel when their pimp takes the money they've made.

c34743d7.jpg

upsdude

I did the math, 8.50 X 17.46 -25% for taxes comes out to 111 and some change. Looks like you need to write your congressman and complain about taxes, I do.

Maybe you misunderstood the HR guy. The one here is so honest a lot of folks walk away.

Welcome to UPS by the way.

rootbeerman

first week was for me $112, my third week was $178 that was 25 hours plus 1.18 hours overtime. First week is low because it was training week

upsdude

25%? I get taxed 25% and I make about 8x that a week.

The tax rate for that income (9k - 32k a year) should be 15%, not 25%.

I don't disagree, depends on what info he gave on his W-4 (I think its W-4). Also depends on the state tax rate. I used 25% as a guess.

Whatever the tax rate, it's too much!

dillweed

bennet, seems like a drop of puke in the bucket, doesn't it? I'd guess that your hours will increase a bit after you have learned more about the operation, which won't be long. You'll be able to go help out here and there at the end of the day and pick up a little more time, make the check look better.

Back in the mid-seventies when I graduated from HS we could move out of our parents' homes, work a full job plus a part time and live pretty darned well. I just don't see how it's being done anymore. Price of rent, utilities, transportation and food just doesn't leave anything for a young person to party on or enjoy all the energy they have.

bennet, it's a tough economy for you to be starting out and I sincerely feel for you and all in your boat. If you stay w/UPS and get a driving job you'll be making good money but still suffer the same daily PIA of the system. It doesn't get any easier as time goes on even though the games remain pretty much the same.

Check into the medical field, my friend. Take a look at starting wages for those careers taking only a couple years to obtain. We baby boomers are begining to fall apart and there are a bunch of us. If you can get into the system, get decent enough wages to survive plus add to your education you may just end up comfy for life. Come home from work with the satisfaction that you touched someone's life, made them comfortable and gave them some hope. Sorry to seem so down on UPS, it's been a good income and was my choice but, damn, it isn't an easy road and offers no personal satisfaction, never will.

Dillweed, your right about the medical field. My wife is a respiratory therapist(two year degree) with 10 years experience, she makes roughly the same per hour as I do but her overall benefits aren't quite as good. Granted this is not entry level pay, but it doesn't take long to get into pretty good money and the work doesn't destroy your body. There will always be a need for medical care staff.

old levi's

blank space
bennet, seems like a drop of puke in the bucket, doesn't it? I'd guess that your hours will increase a bit after you have learned more about the operation, which won't be long. You'll be able to go help out here and there at the end of the day and pick up a little more time, make the check look better.

Back in the mid-seventies when I graduated from HS we could move out of our parents' homes, work a full job plus a part time and live pretty darned well. I just don't see how it's being done anymore. Price of rent, utilities, transportation and food just doesn't leave anything for a young person to party on or enjoy all the energy they have.

bennet, it's a tough economy for you to be starting out and I sincerely feel for you and all in your boat. If you stay w/UPS and get a driving job you'll be making good money but still suffer the same daily PIA of the system. It doesn't get any easier as time goes on even though the games remain pretty much the same.

Check into the medical field, my friend. Take a look at starting wages for those careers taking only a couple years to obtain. We baby boomers are begining to fall apart and there are a bunch of us. If you can get into the system, get decent enough wages to survive plus add to your education you may just end up comfy for life. Come home from work with the satisfaction that you touched someone's life, made them comfortable and gave them some hope. Sorry to seem so down on UPS, it's been a good income and was my choice but, damn, it isn't an easy road and offers no personal satisfaction, never will.[/quote]

All newcomers should read the bold type in dillweed's post over and over.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Keep paying that SS man--------------a couple more years and I will get me some of that chit-------I see a new Goldwing in my future:peaceful:
That SS money we all think is ours is gone . Congress allocated that $$ away years ago.
Anyone thinking to use that towards their retirement, guess again. What we get has to come from the monies our kids earn; which consists of a shrinking workforce.