Got my first check from UPS today

Overpaid Union Thug

When I started I was bringing home between $150-185/week as a part-timer. I was working between 20-25 hours and was single claiming "0" on my W-4. I was happy because I knew it was rare to find part-time jobs that paid that well. My tax rate stayed at 15% for most of my part-time years until I started part-time cover driving. When I went full-time it went up to 18% and has stayed that way since.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Funny, I made about 190 my first week.. then after words got down to 160, about three weeks.

Due to your job, the time given to you and when its done will determine your pay for that week. It also depends on how good you get at it, making your income go down.

If you're an unloader or sorter, the pay is light. A charger or per-loader have to make the time. The time need to get good at it will make that pay go down instead of up. But you will see, the raises you get will keep you going to work.

mr_bennet

So what's your gripe, dude? You make $8.50 an hour. What did you expect? $1000?

Before working for UPS I would help my brother at the flea market where he sold tools and different things. All I did was sit the cases on the ground and help sell them. I got paid between $60-$100 each time and we only stayed out there for 4 hours. The only thing was it wasn't consistent work. So as you can see going from making $100 in 4 hours to making $111 in a week is a pretty big difference to me.

Leftinbuilding

Before working for UPS I would help my brother at the flea market where he sold tools and different things. All I did was sit the cases on the ground and help sell them. I got paid between $60-$100 each time and we only stayed out there for 4 hours. The only thing was it wasn't consistent work. So as you can see going from making $100 in 4 hours to making $111 in a week is a pretty big difference to me.

Did you know your pay rate before you accepted the job? Did you know it was part time? Seems like you could have "run the numbers" and realized the flea market was the place for you. UPS ain't for everyone.

dillweed

Why are you crawling up bennet's butt? Young man comes in thinking he can share his new experiences with the forum and gets nailed right off the bat.

Do we want new, contributing members or just the same stale batch - myself included.

happyboy

I got $111.52. I earned every single penny of it. My body is sore in places I didn't know could get sore and they gave me $111.52. This must be how prostitutes feel when their pimp takes the money they've made.

Welcome to UPS and Brown cafe, The Pay will get better in time and your body will get used to the work, just remember to work safe and drink plenty of water.

Oh And about the taxes congress has a plan to let you take home your whole check, no taxes taken out its called the fair tax, they just need to vote on it.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen

I like your post - As a former self-employed, I went thru the same shock. "$111.00? I killed myself every morning, all week, for $111.00? I used to make that before monday morning's coffee break!!!"

You can get crazy over it. You start to think, Damn, I would pay $111.00 per week not to be so sore, so tired, and to get decent sleep.

Hence my Forum User Name.

thebrownbox

I like your post - As a former self-employed, I went thru the same shock. "$111.00? I killed myself every morning, all week, for $111.00? I used to make that before monday morning's coffee break!!!"

You can get crazy over it. You start to think, Damn, I would pay $111.00 per week not to be so sore, so tired, and to get decent sleep.

Hence my Forum User Name.

How about me.. I had my union dues and intuition fees taken out of the same check.. I'm sure I can check online but a whole weeks worth of work and my check only came to like $56 something.. first word out of my mouth was :censored2::censored2::censored2:?

Lou Dog OG

#1 Utility
My first 6 checks had the $25.00 initiation fee taken out. The first check had that and $22.00 monthly dues taken out. First check was $71. Still have it, very proud of it.

When people ask about working at UPS, I ask if they live with their parents still because that is the only way it will work out for you for the first 3 years. I made $125 a week for the first 2 years, then $175 (more seniority=more hours) next 2 years and then last 2 years $225. I lived with my parents for the first 4 years.

But, I always mention if you've got nothing but time, get a second job or go to school. Held second job for my last 2 years P/T to support my baby boy and my girlfriend (now my wife).

IDoLessWorkThanMost

My first 6 checks had the $25.00 initiation fee taken out. The first check had that and $22.00 monthly dues taken out. First check was $71. Still have it, very proud of it.

When people ask about working at UPS, I ask if they live with their parents still because that is the only way it will work out for you for the first 3 years. I made $125 a week for the first 2 years, then $175 (more seniority=more hours) next 2 years and then last 2 years $225. I lived with my parents for the first 4 years.

But, I always mention if you've got nothing but time, get a second job or go to school. Held second job for my last 2 years P/T to support my baby boy and my girlfriend (now my wife).

lol. I'd hope everyone has somethign going for them outside of P/T UPS :sick:

mr_bennet

I probably would have quit right then and there.

PAUPSER

Yes if your a part-time package handler the only good thing is the great benefits, because it sure as heck is the pay check every week!

Fnix

I made more when I started because I was getting more hours then. Even though I make $4 more now I still make about the same. $200 per week after taxes. Once I start air driving that $50 extra per week is all I need to move out and get my own room.