Got speeding ticket. When to report to work?

brown67

I know we sign a sheet every year with what tickets we've gotten for the year, but I thought there was a line on there about CDL drivers (feeders) having to report it the next business day. Anyone remember?

By the way nothing major only 4 mph over. No points, $60 dollar fine. I live in a small town and there is this 2 block area where the speed limit is 20 mph and the cops love to ticket people. Normally I'm really careful in that area, but just zoned out.

p228

"(a) Each person who operates a commercial motor vehicle, who has a commercial driver's license issued by a State or jurisdiction, and who is convicted of violating, in any type of motor vehicle, a State or local law relating to motor vehicle traffic control (other than a parking violation) in a State or jurisdiction other than the one which issued his/her license, shall notify an official designated by the State or jurisdiction which issued such license, of such conviction. The notification must be made within 30 days after the date that the person has been convicted.

(b) Each person who operates a commercial motor vehicle, who has a commercial driver's license issued by a State or jurisdiction, and who is convicted of violating, in any type of motor vehicle, a State or local law relating to motor vehicle traffic control (other than a parking violation), shall notify his/her current employer of such conviction. The notification must be made within 30 days after the date that the person has been convicted. If the driver is not currently employed, he/she must notify the State or jurisdiction which issued the license according to §383.31(a)."

Source: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=383.31

How is the ticket worded? Does it say speeding? In my state tickets with no points are given a generic non moving violation title.

That said, I would have a hard time keeping a straight face if a cop gave me a ticket for 4mph over. We had local PD get disbanded a few years ago because all they did was sit on one stretch of road issuing tickets for driving five over the speed limit. It does nothing to increase road safety it just increases funding for the locality. My buddies who are cops say they don't bother writing tickets for less the 10mph over unless its a school or construction zone.

Last edited:

brown67

I know its hard not to get mad at 4 mph over, but what can you do? Small town and they love that little area for tickets. No reason other than revenue for that 2 block area to be 20 mph. No schools etc. Ticket is written as speeding. 24 mph in a 20 mph.

I'll make a copy of the ticket and give it to my sup., but how do you notify the state?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Large difference between issued and convicted. I always suggest fighting them and see what happens. You aren't guilty of anything yet.

yeldarb

Also, with a CDL, tickets can't be expunged with traffic school. The only way to get them off your record, is to get them dismissed. I have used our legal services for that very reason. I think that law is less than 3 years old.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would first try to get the ticket reduced and/or dismissed through the local PD. If that fails, go to court to do the same. Most likely if you have an otherwise clean record the ticket will be dismissed. 4 mph over the limit? Really?

On a side note, when you use the $ you don't have to add the word "dollars". $60 dollars is redundant. Also, $.99 and 99 cents are not the same as .99 cents.

S

serenity now

I would first try to get the ticket reduced and/or dismissed through the local PD. If that fails, go to court to do the same. Most likely if you have an otherwise clean record the ticket will be dismissed. 4 mph over the limit? Really?

On a side note, when you use the $ you don't have to add the word "dollars". $60 dollars is redundant. Also, $.99 and 99 cents are not the same as .99 cents.

it's also redundant that you make this point, yet again :wink2:

QKRSTKR

That sucks dude. State troopers here usually go by the 8 is great 9 is a fine, as far as over posted speed limit. The thing is though you may want to check into this. Usually a citation that doesn't result in any points against your license is a civil offense only.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
The city issued the ticket, so the state already knows about it. You have 30 days to tell the boss. The one time I had a speeding ticket while in feeders, I told the boss the next day. His comment? "Why in the hell did you do that", followed by okay, just remember it when you sign the MVR sheet.

Nimnim

The Nim
I don't have any advice that wasn't already given, but man this makes me even more grateful I'm in Orlando area Florida. 5 mph over, warning. I've never asked what happens when you're in a construction zone since fines are doubled. Kinda one of those, it's probably better not to even put yourself in that situation things.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The only thing these municipalities are looking for is money. If you go to court and explain that you work for UPS and points/record of a ticket could negatively impact your job, there's an extremely high chance you'll just have to pay the fine and they'll reduce/dismiss the ticket to something that does show on your record. I have had a 3 point ticket dismissed but had to pay the fine of $250.00.

bumped

I would just contact a local attorney. They usually can plead it down to a defective speedometer. Usually $75 to the attorney and the cost of the ticket, and you don't have to lose a day of work. Laughable a ticket for 4 over. I would be pissed at the police to issue this as they must have too many on the payroll with nothing to do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would just contact a local attorney. They usually can plead it down to a defective speedometer. Usually $75 to the attorney and the cost of the ticket, and you don't have to lose a day of work. Laughable a ticket for 4 over. I would be pissed at the police to issue this as they must have too many on the payroll with nothing to do.

Hiring an attorney for a 4 mph over the limit speeding ticket seems a bit much for me. Locally all we have to do is go down to the police station, request and fill out a reduction form. It is then up to the police officer who issued the citation whether he/she wishes to reduce it to a non-moving violation. If the officer decides to reduce it you pay the fine and the matter is resolved. If he/she doesn't you can then go to court and ask for it to be reduced and/or dismissed. 9 times out of 10 a speeding ticket issued for going 4 mph over the posted limit will be reduced and/or dismissed.

One day I was delivering in a school zone where a police officer was running radar. I asked him at what point do they pull drivers over and he told me they started looking when they were going 15 mph or more over the limit. That's 35 mph or more in a 20 mph zone which to me is kind of scary.

You don't need an attorney.

bumped

I've never heard of a reduction form before. My few times I just hired an attorney to deal with it. I don't want to lose a day of work to go to court.

Mike57

Many times,all the cities want is the $$$$, so really the tickets are issued like parking tickets,so the $$$ stays in town and NOT split with the county and state. If it was a CITY ticket, it my not be reported to the state. Check it out!!!Were you in the truck at the time or in your car??

brown67

The ticket is 0 points, so no point fighting it because it has no impact on my license. $60 dollar fine and that's it. If they were going for points I would go to court and see if I couldn't cut a deal to lower the points. Most places with let you have at least 5 over the speed limit, but like I said it's a small town and they love to ticket people in that area. I'm not that concerned with the ticket, because no points are involved and $60 bucks won't break the bank.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Hiring an attorney for a 4 mph over the limit speeding ticket seems a bit much for me. Locally all we have to do is go down to the police station, request and fill out a reduction form. It is then up to the police officer who issued the citation whether he/she wishes to reduce it to a non-moving violation. If the officer decides to reduce it you pay the fine and the matter is resolved. If he/she doesn't you can then go to court and ask for it to be reduced and/or dismissed. 9 times out of 10 a speeding ticket issued for going 4 mph over the posted limit will be reduced and/or dismissed.

One day I was delivering in a school zone where a police officer was running radar. I asked him at what point do they pull drivers over and he told me they started looking when they were going 15 mph or more over the limit. That's 35 mph or more in a 20 mph zone which to me is kind of scary.

You don't need an attorney.

I've never heard of a reduction form before. My few times I just hired an attorney to deal with it. I don't want to lose a day of work to go to court.

We have these forms in New York----they can be used at the local, county and state levels.
I got caught doing 82 in a 55 in St. Lawrence county. Got it reduced to parked on pavement with one of those forms.