Government Motors

klein

Für Meno :)
I would have no problem with them moving north---just as long as they don't stop until they reach Canada.

BTW, is Canada closed Monday?
Yup, closed for Canada Day. UPS has been closed for over a week in Calgary and area due to flooding. And just when downtown and neighbourhoods are getting to re-open, here comes the holiday.
And please remember that date ! July 1st !!!!!!
Us Canadians know July 4th ! - Really - we all do !

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
As I have previously mentioned, I have a brother who is employed by GM. He started at the Lakewood Ga. Plant where Caprices were built. That plant was shut down so he transfered to Shreveport, LA. where S-
10/Colorados/Hummer H3 were assembled. That plant was closed, and he recently moved to Bowling Green Kentucky, home of the Chevrolet Corvette. I was talking to him last night, he was standing in the middle of a room filled with thirty of the newly designed 2014 models. They are still getting a few pre-production bugs out of them, there have 25,000 that are already pre-sold to customers. During his orientation as a new plant employee, a manager let it slip out that GM would make a $25,000 profit off of each car sold.

texan

Yup, closed for Canada Day. UPS has been closed for over a week in Calgary and area due to flooding. And just when downtown and neighbourhoods are getting to re-open, here comes the holiday.
And please remember that date ! July 1st !!!!!!
Us Canadians know July 4th ! - Really - we all do !
1867, 1 July when the 3 colonies became one and were named Canada.

Happy Canada Day to you and DS on Monday.

oldngray

nowhere special
As I have previously mentioned, I have a brother who is employed by GM. He started at the Lakewood Ga. Plant where Caprices were built. That plant was shut down so he transfered to Shreveport, LA. where S-
10/Colorados/Hummer H3 were assembled. That plant was closed, and he recently moved to Bowling Green Kentucky, home of the Chevrolet Corvette. I was talking to him last night, he was standing in the middle of a room filled with thirty of the newly designed 2014 models. They are still getting a few pre-production bugs out of them, there have 25,000 that are already pre-sold to customers. During his orientation as a new plant employee, a manager let it slip out that GM would make a $25,000 profit off of each car sold.

GM LOVES those high price/high profit cars. They hate the mandated high mileage econocars the government mandates they make to bring up fleet mpg average that there is little margin for profit on.

wkmac

I have a feeling that if you peel back the anti government facade of the article and delve into the origins of the regulation, you would find big oil and big insurance pulling the levers. GM and the other manufacturers just shrug their shoulders and add the profit increasing technology.

I posted the documentary "Taken for a Ride" before (YouTube version) so I won't do it again (here's the link) but no argument from me and the film fully supports your assertion of big industry pulling the levers as do I.

We don't have cars because of real market choices or what I would say as a result of real free market actions but rather because of manipulation of public policy and public thought from an apparatus that industry and monopoly capital built in the first place. You could argue the real free market choices of the consumer were in fact not abandoned as much as crushed by a type conspiracy of both industry and state.

They built an economic/industrial model for themselves and their interest of which both state and industry benefited and consumers found themselves the captives. The myth of "for the people" is just that, myth!

Not unlike the original enclosure movement was used to herd people in order to benefit the centralization of wealth and the industrial revolution by a combination of State and private privilege. A new expression of feudalism was created in the American 20th century and the car along with the centralization of transportation via cartel was/is a major component of that model.

moreluck

golden ticket member
They could reduce it by $20,000 and I still wouldn't buy one..........

GM cuts plug-in Volt's price by $5,000 | The Detroit News

klein

Für Meno :)
Well, now since Ford has stopped manufacturing the Crown Victoria (made in Ontario, Canada).
Police all over North America have now selected the new Dodge Charger for their cars !

Also made in Canada ! :)

Necropostophiliac

Stop the presses!!!! Truth spoke for once.

Barney Frank: We Lost Money on Obama's Auto Bailout But Made Money on Bush's Bank Bailout

Former Massachusetts Democratic Congressman Barney Frank threw cold water on this meme on NBC’s Meet the Press
Sunday correctly informing viewers that the auto bailout lost money for the federal government.

By contrast, we made money from George W. Bush's 2008 bank bailout ...

Read more: Barney Frank: We Lost Money on Obama's Auto Bailout But Made Money on Bush's Bank Bailout | NewsBusters

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Stop the presses!!!! Truth spoke for once.

Barney Frank: We Lost Money on Obama's Auto Bailout But Made Money on Bush's Bank Bailout

Former Massachusetts Democratic Congressman Barney Frank threw cold water on this meme on NBC’s Meet the Press
Sunday correctly informing viewers that the auto bailout lost money for the federal government.

By contrast, we made money from George W. Bush's 2008 bank bailout ...

Read more: Barney Frank: We Lost Money on Obama's Auto Bailout But Made Money on Bush's Bank Bailout | NewsBusters

The truth?

Chrysler had until 2017 to repay the goverment for its tarp loans but paid off their loans completely early last year. GM recieved 50 billion dollars and as of today, only owes the goverment 14 billion and is on schedule to repay its loans after coming off its best profit year in 10 years.

You cant compare loaning money to a bank and selling cars.

Banks took goverment money, raised interest rates on consumers and invested overseas. Car companies have to make a product, change designs, advertise and cant simply raise interest rates to rip off customers. They have to do it the hard way, EARNING IT.

Banks simply steal it from customers.

Get a grip.

Peace

TOS

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The truth?

Chrysler had until 2017 to repay the goverment for its tarp loans but paid off their loans completely early last year. GM recieved 50 billion dollars and as of today, only owes the goverment 14 billion and is on schedule to repay its loans after coming off its best profit year in 10 years.

You cant compare loaning money to a bank and selling cars.

Banks took goverment money, raised interest rates on consumers and invested overseas. Car companies have to make a product, change designs, advertise and cant simply raise interest rates to rip off customers. They have to do it the hard way, EARNING IT.

Banks simply steal it from customers.

Get a grip.

Peace

TOS

That argument is pathetically hypocritical.
You have been peeing all over yourself for 4 years about how great it was that Obama bailed out the auto industry and the bank industry.
Now in one futile instance to try and deflect the argument and cover up the truth, you contradict 4 years of your own statements.
Dude get real.

Pees,

OMG