GPS vs MAPS

Re-Raise

Just saying that it's probably not really an apples to apples comparison. These days, everybody's blown out and there's not much time to figure out what's what.
I agree with this to a point.

There were different problems before we had cell phones and DIAD boards. You were completely on your own out there to figure it out.

I will concede that it would be impossible to run the volume they put on each route now with the tools we had then.

UrFellowUpser

Your area is growing/changing all the time. Makes paper maps published a while ago less useful.

Check out the "Road Warrior" app if you've got an Android phone. Can input your stops in advance and easily rattle them off.
I have road warrior i only use that on sat air if i volunteer

UrFellowUpser

Turn for turn navigation teaches you nothing thats why i made myself to stop using gps plus when you use a map you see the big picture and learn the area better. Most of the time the next cluster of stops is not that far away and just further down the main road or the next one or so.

sikidiki

Turn for turn teaches you nothing? Then why have i learned my routes im usually sent on? Thats odd. You map users make it sound like you learn a route in 1 day because you used a map lol

sikidiki

I understand, i just like my gps is all and i can type an address in in less than 5 seconds, it would actually take me longer to look at a map and decide where im going. But im talking about routes that are blind mostly so yea, once you learn the area you dont need either really just relax and deliver.

UrFellowUpser

Plus ima be over anyway so looking at the next 20 stops on the google maps app is no big deal. The last route i went blind on doing this i was only 66 mins over and that was with an hr lunch and my free 10 min break

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Try openstreetmaps (osmand on android)
You can order maps that use the OSM but Icannot vouch for them personally.

The big issue is that none of these maps print well on plain computer paper. what you get off the orion computer is as good as it gets.

Arch

I try not to use a GPS but they do become handy for strange addresses you can't find on a map or when delivering a misload.

Saturdays I rely on my Garmin mainly because the route is extended and I'm doing areas I'm unfamiliar that will change every Saturdays. So it's not like I have time to study them if not given more then a few days staying on the same route. I have a portable battery charger that will let it run for the whole day.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Seriously--a map drawn on every one of their 250 stops. How frigging helpless is this younger generation? Take away their smartphones and they couldn't find their way out of a sleeping bag.

The sups are just as bad. I was being trained on a route and within 10 stops my sup was using his iPhone to look for directions since his tablet thingy was too "complicated."

rod

Retired 22 years
Was maybe a bit hyperbolic about a map for every one of the 250. But you get the idea. Old timers have plenty of stories about piddling around with the extra time they had because the days typically weren't bad, and there was no tracking. So needing to take a little more time to find their way around probably wasn't such a big deal. Getting totally lost might get you back in at about the time a driver would regularly get back to center now.

Just saying that it's probably not really an apples to apples comparison. These days, everybody's blown out and there's not much time to figure out what's what.

Its all relative.

!.We never had "extra time" even back then. All routes were time studied.
2. Some days were good and some were bad.
3. I don't know if UPS has always had tracking but they sure have since 1971 when I started. We turned in our delivery records every night and they were stored for something like 3 years. We had driver follow-ups just like today only back then if you couldn't prove it was delivered the chances were good it would be coming out of your paycheck.
4. Taking extra time to find your way around was just another reason to be called into the office. Any time you were over allowed to got talked to. I had some smart ass comment made to me damn near every morning. In one ear and out the other.
5. The reason you are all getting back so late now is because you let things get out of control over the years. Give UPS an inch and they will take a mile.
6. It really is apples to apples in the long run.
7.Contrary to what you believe it wasn't all peaches and cream back then. We had to fight to keep working conditions in check .

rod

Retired 22 years
Plus ima be over anyway so looking at the next 20 stops on the google maps app is no big deal. The last route i went blind on doing this i was only 66 mins over and that was with an hr lunch and my free 10 min break

I would have been 3 hours over and not giving a :censored2:.