GPS vs MAPS

Stanton

I use a garmin gps with a friction mount, if i cant find it i type it in, faster than looking at a map and wondering where i am. The gps shows what street im on and what streets are ahead, send me out cold on any route and i can do it just fine. It is faster than looking at a map and plotting out my next stops, i just type it in and follow the directions. Also in before every old timer claims maps are superior and back in the old days lingo, i get the job done safely and efficiently, thats all that matters. Also i dont type it in for every single address, if im on the same street and i know the grid i just go from there, but moving from 1 section to the other can be tricky on routes you dont know so thats when i use it.
I just went for an interview and they told me you can't use a GPS. Is that the standard rule nation wide or just in Jersey? Some people on these posts obviously use it so can someone clarify?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I just went for an interview and they told me you can't use a GPS. Is that the standard rule nation wide or just in Jersey? Some people on these posts obviously use it so can someone clarify?
You can't use like a garmin. You can use your phone.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Obviously you can’t drive and use a GPS at the same time. We have Maps on the diad now with Orion, so no need to worry. You can now learn the area really quick as it has you deliver each street three times a day.

Zowert

Seriously--a map drawn on every one of their 250 stops. How frigging helpless is this younger generation? Take away their smartphones and they couldn't find their way out of a sleeping bag.

Cities are a lot bigger than they once were. The suburbs in some cities seem to sprawl out forever.

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
You might need GPS when on training for a route or going Steve Wonder on a cover. After 2 weeks on a route, it should not be needed.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Use the new diad feature or an actual freaking map. barnes and noble, go!

ixtab

I use a garmin gps with a friction mount, if i cant find it i type it in, faster than looking at a map and wondering where i am. The gps shows what street im on and what streets are ahead, send me out cold on any route and i can do it just fine. It is faster than looking at a map and plotting out my next stops, i just type it in and follow the directions. Also in before every old timer claims maps are superior and back in the old days lingo, i get the job done safely and efficiently, thats all that matters. Also i dont type it in for every single address, if im on the same street and i know the grid i just go from there, but moving from 1 section to the other can be tricky on routes you dont know so thats when i use it.
so.... you had to spend your hard earned money on a gadget to do your job?
also if you get in an accident while looking at your doo hickey...
good luck with all that...

BrownThunder

I use google assistant to help me when I'm running blind. Here's how it works.

1. Hit google voice button on headphones
"Take me to 123 west street"
2. maps pulls up and navigation starts automatically
3. Pull up and complete stop
4. On the walk back to the package car, tell google to navigate you to the next stop and by the time you're back in the PC it's already loaded and ready for you.

I have found it works majority of the time, as lo ong as the street isnt some weird ass sounding name.

After a while you get used to the streets and no longer need GPS, but when in a pinch this will surely help you survive a blind run.

ixtab

that is standard “UPS Speak” as long as everything goes correct - they don’t care - 1st time there’s an issue - why didn’t you follow the methods! you know a GPS is an in-cab distraction!

iowa boy

Plat books are the bomb, especially when you deliver in counties that don't post the 911 addresses at the houses. That's how I learned, now all our new guys are using their phones and panic when their batteries die at 4 o'clock in the afternoon.

Plat books are the bomb, especially when you deliver in counties that don't post the 911 addresses at the houses. That's how I learned, now all our new guys are using their phones and panic when their batteries die at 4 o'clock in the afternoon.
When I was preloading in the 80's I heard drivers talking about Plat books. Never really knew what they were talking about. I just loaded all the rural route 1's together, all the RR 2"s, all the RR 3's etc. Made my job really easy. Of course back then there would be only a handful of stops. Now everyone wants to live in the country on 5 acres and have a pony.

sikidiki

Gps isn't an in cab distraction, you glance at it like you would your gauges when checking your speed, it also says directions so you know where to turn, also about what i spend my money on is really none of your business, If it makes my job easier and less stressful for me, i see no problem with it. If i eventually dont need it then it did its job correctly. But until i stop getting sent on random cover routes, ill probably have it with me at all times.

Arch

I just print out an Orion map and check out the dots as I go. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't give you the block numbers. So that's why I have the center print a separate map and paste both maps on the visor side by side. I only use a GPS to get to the starting point and heading back if the route is at a location I don't know.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I just print out an Orion map and check out the dots as I go. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't give you the block numbers. So that's why I have the center print a separate map and paste both maps on the visor side by side. I only use a GPS to get to the starting point and heading back if the route is at a location I don't know.
You print out all of those maps on the clock?