GPS

fedex_rtd

All of the CTV's have gps devices. They also have recording devices that monitor how the driver is operating the vehicle. How hard he brakes, starts, how fast he drives.

A few months ago I got called into the office, as I was late getting a load to a DGO location. Manager said none of the other drivers have been late but you almost always are...told him to pull up the quadrant system on my rig and the others.

I drive the speed limit, the others have been driving faster. I think he wanted to make an example out of me, but this info put an end to that!

SmithBarney

get yourself a Faraday bag... go on break, put in bag, do what you want.

Although PPADS barely last a day without the GPS on... so I doubt it's activated in any real regularity(not to say it isn't)

Beware if your gatekeeper(equipment person/csa sometimes) gives you a PPAD that isn't your regular one(if you have assigned PPADs)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
All of the CTV's have gps devices. They also have recording devices that monitor how the driver is operating the vehicle. How hard he brakes, starts, how fast he drives.

A few months ago I got called into the office, as I was late getting a load to a DGO location. Manager said none of the other drivers have been late but you almost always are...told him to pull up the quadrant system on my rig and the others.

I drive the speed limit, the others have been driving faster. I think he wanted to make an example out of me, but this info put an end to that!

Almost all tractors today are equipped with an electronic monitoring system that keeps track of all the functions you mention and a few more. More fleets are also getting dash cameras, and if you've ever been in a tractor with collision avoidance gear? Effing annoying.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
get yourself a Faraday bag... go on break, put in bag, do what you want.

Although PPADS barely last a day without the GPS on... so I doubt it's activated in any real regularity(not to say it isn't)

Beware if your gatekeeper(equipment person/csa sometimes) gives you a PPAD that isn't your regular one(if you have assigned PPADs)

I've also heard aluminum foil or a pie plate work wonders.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Almost all tractors today are equipped with an electronic monitoring system that keeps track of all the functions you mention and a few more. More fleets are also getting dash cameras, and if you've ever been in a tractor with collision avoidance gear? Effing annoying.
Sure glad the company has money for all that.

My station heard from someone personally who is high up in upper management that they are testing in truck GPS in some markets currently, and that the new power pads (12-24 months) will have it turned on at all times.

Artee

All the new FDX tractors the last 4 years have the collision avoidance and lane assistance devices. I have a Freightshaker, so its not too bad, but the Volvos are quite annoying as they pick up on overpasses and like items. The one nice thing is I just hold the steering wheel now days. Don't even have to touch the brakes. If traffic is stopped in front of me the truck picks up on it and stops itself. It makes you a lazier and probably more dangerous driver.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
All the new FDX tractors the last 4 years have the collision avoidance and lane assistance devices. I have a Freightshaker, so its not too bad, but the Volvos are quite annoying as they pick up on overpasses and like items. The one nice thing is I just hold the steering wheel now days. Don't even have to touch the brakes. If traffic is stopped in front of me the truck picks up on it and stops itself. It makes you a lazier and probably more dangerous driver.

I've heard of more than a few people turning down new Volvos to keep their old FruitLiner.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Must have to do with the positioning of the radar. I have a Freightliner and it often gets freaked out by larger overpass signage.

Purplepackage

My station heard from someone personally who is high up in upper management that they are testing in truck GPS in some markets currently, and that the new power pads (12-24 months) will have it turned on at all times.

I don't see the issue with Gps if your doing what your supposed to be doing what are you worried about?

Artee

I've heard of more than a few people turning down new Volvos to keep their old FruitLiner.

That is true. Very noisy warning alarms. We have plenty of them in the yard with low miles since most do not want to drive them. Unfortunatly we are putting so many miles on our other 3-4 year old tractors that we are having to trade them out with other RT's that don't use theirs as much. Getting rid of like 12 "new" Freighliners and getting a lot more Volvos in return.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't see the issue with Gps if your doing what your supposed to be doing what are you worried about?

A lot of people cut corners to get the job done. Managers also cut corners, and easily find cooperative couriers who play along. When there is a problem, the manager then throws the courier under the bus and uses GPS to facilitate termination.

dezguy

I have no problem with it but if they're going to treat us like UPS drivers, tracking our ever move, they really should stop acting like they're different from UPS and that they treat us better than UPS treats their employees.

They should also expect another union drive.