GPS

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
They've also mounted tiny cameras and microphones in the cab and cargo areas to monitor everything that's done and said.

Taking those onboard massive stinkies just got a lot more complicated.

CJinx

The GPS on the STAR4 devices eats batteries for breakfast. It would really only be feasible if you're provided with an extra battery and a mobile battery charger.

STFXG

The GPS doesn't have to run constant. To transmit location at the same time it transmits a stop wouldn't take much battery. Even setting it to transmit every 5-10 minutes wouldn't burn through batteries.

CJinx

The GPS doesn't have to run constant. To transmit location at the same time it transmits a stop wouldn't take much battery. Even setting it to transmit every 5-10 minutes wouldn't burn through batteries.
I don't believe the GPS app has intermittent functionality. Last time I played with it, it was either active (constant send/receive) or it wasn't. I'll grab a STAR4 tomorrow and monkey around with it.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
When the FIRST generation power pad rolled out, and before our station received them, I had a manager ride with me who revealed that the GPS was accurate to within 5 feet, and that it would prevent us from mis delivering by way of audible warning. This was before Big Brother realized it's more sinister applications...falsifying deliveries being one of them. They know when and WHERE you are when you POD if they want to. Just a word to the wise.

Purplepackage

When the FIRST generation power pad rolled out, and before our station received them, I had a manager ride with me who revealed that the GPS was accurate to within 5 feet, and that it would prevent us from mis delivering by way of audible warning. This was before Big Brother realized it's more sinister applications...falsifying deliveries being one of them. They know when and WHERE you are when you POD if they want to. Just a word to the wise.

That's great but still has flaws, if your POD for a stop is at xxx front st but the manifest says you should be at 2 west avenue for the POD it really means nothing because the gps doesnt know that the back of the building actually faces xxx front st

dezguy

I was told management has the choice to enable it or not. I'm not sure but I think they have to let you know if they are turning it on, by law.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
While I haven't verified whether or not GPS is active at any given time, I do know my manager spent a day in his vehicle tracking down every single courier in his workgroup using it. Said he was impressed with how easy it was to locate someone with it.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
They've also mounted tiny cameras and microphones in the cab and cargo areas to monitor everything that's done and said.

There is a poster on this very forum who has advised us to NEVER change trucks at the behest of management because they contain clandestine audio and video recording devices.