GPS

Joe Blow

Your right on it! The leash just got shorter.
Went GPS live today in CT. Management didn't say a word about it this AM. Under my thumb! The UPS theme song. I heard that UPS is going live with NPSD this year as well!
Oh NPSD stands for nose picking satellite detection.

Hawk780

No One in Particular
The realtime information is out there......check with your IE and Center of the Future teams in your district, they can see the "dots" now on their maps, of each driver, the software kit, as I was told before I quit will be coming to dispatch sups and oms's before June or July it sounds like, still a few bugs to work out for them, but before I quit, I had a COF Supervisor show me his laptop, and I could track all my drivers from there, someone is watching right now in a lot of districts.

You agitatin' my dots?:mad:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We went live on GPS today. The bottom of the DIAD screen shows a bullseye next to the clock. When you go to EDD and scan the package, the bullseye is green if you are at the right address. If there is no data, then it is yellow. If you are at the wrong address when you scan it, then it turns red along with the "Task Bar" at the bottom of the screen. It also has a different alarm tone if you are at the wrong spot. When at the right address and you go to DR or Signature Mode, it puts a cross in the middle of the bullseye. Like other posters have mentioned, its not as accurate as other GPS devices you may have used. I got a green bullseye when I was ten houses away from the correct house in a tight subdivision today. It seems to be off several hundred yards. If it cuts down on misdeliveries, it will be a good deal. Its not perfect though.

JustAnotherBody

I keep hearing about GPS not being enabled because of the cost..
what are the costs of GPS...
If I were to buy a GPS device, for my self totally un work related lets say i dont even work at ups, do I have to pay a montly service fee to use it?
I understand UPS as a company will be using GPS more then I would on my own as an individual, so perhaps i.because they use it day in day out to monitor thousands of people they might have to pay a fee that a individual wouldn't?
or a higher fee then a individual would pay because of the higher usage of the system/service/satalite...
If the software is already in the DIAD why does it cost more to activate? Is this in reference to the cost of setting up Center of Future managment with new computers to monitor the system?
or is the cost creating new managment positons to monitor the system?

Does UPS have to either LEASE a share of a GPS satalites (from what I understand of GPS it takes 3 seperate satalites to pinpoint location..) or does UPS have to actually buy/build/launch their own GPS satalites?

i used to hear it cost money for ups to msg with the diad too but havn't heard about that in years so perhaps everythign I heard about the cost of UPS is just smoke being blown up my kilt (I deliver in scotland we have brown kilts)

JustAnotherBody

sorry about the confusion u might remember me as the annoymous west side piru or im in the crips from the 'Any drivers here deliver in worst neighborhoods in america??' post..

just so you all know.. i got a grant from the scottish gov't to come bring my youth club (the crips) to scotland so I went back to part time at my compton city center and enrolled in a class at the University of Scotland then transfered. Then i dropped the class... hahahha

yah so i traded in my baggy gangster style browns ( i got them nice and baggy by digging threw the feeder guys laundry bin, the smallest waist size was 40)for these stylish pullman borwn kilts we wear over here.

ncamara

I keep hearing about GPS not being enabled because of the cost..
what are the costs of GPS...
If I were to buy a GPS device, for my self totally un work related lets say i dont even work at ups, do I have to pay a montly service fee to use it?
I understand UPS as a company will be using GPS more then I would on my own as an individual, so perhaps i.because they use it day in day out to monitor thousands of people they might have to pay a fee that a individual wouldn't?
or a higher fee then a individual would pay because of the higher usage of the system/service/satalite...
If the software is already in the DIAD why does it cost more to activate? Is this in reference to the cost of setting up Center of Future managment with new computers to monitor the system?
or is the cost creating new managment positons to monitor the system?

Does UPS have to either LEASE a share of a GPS satalites (from what I understand of GPS it takes 3 seperate satalites to pinpoint location..) or does UPS have to actually buy/build/launch their own GPS satalites?

i used to hear it cost money for ups to msg with the diad too but havn't heard about that in years so perhaps everythign I heard about the cost of UPS is just smoke being blown up my kilt (I deliver in scotland we have brown kilts)
The cost is for the transmission of your GPS location using cellular service, just like messaging. The GPS system itself doesn't cost a thing to use.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
A little off subject but.....I have an older GPS, it doesnt have strreets maps, in it but I believe it can be updated..I know the ones now come with software and you can update the streets etc. It uses govt satellites, I use it for geocaching. (I believe there is a cost for updates, but not a monthly fee.) If you dont know what that is, its a great hobby.
Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site
Its great fun for all ages. It tells me that it is accurate to 20 ft, but mine zooms in every time within a foot. Its great for hunters, or fisherpeople who want to be able to find the exact spot to come back to, or to get you back from whence you left if you get caught in fog, or a storm. It has a feature on it that will measure your car speed, or boat or bike. Mine has a short lag at times if Im in cover. I have a Garmin Geko, but the explorist by magellan, is really hot right now. Good luck, go caching!!

JustAnotherBody

The cost is for the transmission of your GPS location using cellular service, just like messaging. The GPS system itself doesn't cost a thing to use.

thanks for clarifying.... UPS is able to get us, employees, a discount with several cellular providers, they could negotiate a resonable rate with the providers. I understand the scale of our operation and the volume of transmissions required, which i think would help negotiate a better rate, but with resources as vast as ups i wouldn't think the cost would be prohibitive.

Someone said something about the system being used to assign OCA's. If used effectivly I think this would be a great tool if used properly. I don't have alot of experience driving for UPS but in my limited time I have had more then my fair share of OCA's that I know there are other drivers closer too.

Having fancy little tools like this to help us isn't a cure all though. The system can only be as smart as the people using it. I say this while thinking of one of my more frustrating moments driving. I am blind in a newly developed area where streets are not in the map book yet... I call the center talk to an OMS they mapquest the address then tell me to turn right then right..... During this im trying to explain to the OMS that directions (left and right) are relative and are absolutly useless considering u dont know which way Im facing.... AHHHHHHHH.... just cruise around you'll find it they say. thanks. those directions are sure to help reduce miles.

I know I chose my job but when your in a hot truck busting your but and you call the air conditioned office and the best they can say is cruise around you'll find it its kinda hard to be positive about your current situation.

rngri4

Most of our misdeliveries come when the Spa or Hin label does not match the Customer Generated label how will the Magically GPS know that. It will still be human error. Or after 10hours of work you are making delivery to 913 Main St and you should be at 931 Main St which of course is within 245yards of each other. Just another useless screen we are going to have to overide.

So in other words, you admit you don't check both labels? That is not following the methods, last time I checked.

mpeedy

The DIAD already has the cordinates for the address built in when you download EDD. EDD has the cordinates already because in the past few months or years EDD has been learning the cordinates of your deliveries made.

If you deliver a package outside of EDD, in the regular delivery mode, the delivery mode doesn't know if you are at the wrong or right spot. You will get a neutral (yellow) circle. This is because the delivery mode does not have the cordinate tag that the EDD mode has.

You go into EDD and scan the same package, EDD knows if you are in or out of the boundries for that delivery. If you have not been to a that stop since UPS has been recording them, EDD does not know the cordinates and will give you a yellow circle. If you go to the same stop in the future EDD should now know the cordinates because they have been learned.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
heres a good idea !!!! slow down for a second, check address on pkge,make sure your at the right house !!! no high tech,needed ,just old delivery method!! not home,hey icame this far i'll leave a note duh!!!!!!!!! lot less headaches when we was on paper,diad is good for a good dog wacker though!!:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

W

westsideworma

So in other words, you admit you don't check both labels? That is not following the methods, last time I checked.

I thought that only applied to preloaders?

Also, when it comes to that, the girl next to me caught a package in which both tracking numbers matched but was wrong, it was going to 456 western ave however the pal said west ave (not the same). She sent it to DECAP 5(!) times and it was sheeted as a misload the next morning, she obviously didn't catch it a 6th time. :mad:

Granted that was a system flip and it wasn't charged to her, but its garbage. It was a service failure and the only person who gets grief about it is the preloader, not the slacker in DECAP who DIDN'T do his/her job. Nothing happens to them, yet when we screw up we (don't do our job in otherwords) get threatened with warning letters and suspensions (though our steward has fought EVERY one so far).

rngri4

I thought that only applied to preloaders?

Also, when it comes to that, the girl next to me caught a package in which both tracking numbers matched but was wrong, it was going to 456 western ave however the pal said west ave (not the same). She sent it to DECAP 5(!) times and it was sheeted as a misload the next morning, she obviously didn't catch it a 6th time. :mad:

Granted that was a system flip and it wasn't charged to her, but its garbage. It was a service failure and the only person who gets grief about it is the preloader, not the slacker in DECAP who DIDN'T do his/her job. Nothing happens to them, yet when we screw up we (don't do our job in otherwords) get threatened with warning letters and suspensions (though our steward has fought EVERY one so far).

I agree that there are a lot less than stellar clerk, but what caused that label flip? They are all caused by something, whether it is a bad zip code, or bad numbers not in the system, or dumb clerks, something like that. Yes, I will agree 100 percent the clerk should've caught it, no doubt about that, but UPS pays it drivers to follow the methods also, which includes in a PAS center, to check both labels, if you don't, it is your own fault. However, I do think that there is a lot of training that needs to be done with a lot of clerks, such as a driver sup, telling a clerk to make up a number in the range of the street numbers, instead of post carding a package, that is nothing but a followup and concern waiting to happen. In closing...check BOTH LABELS, because they may differ.

bugman74

I went into the COMM menu and hit 8 and it gave me the long. and lat. Took that info home and loaded it into Google Earth and it showed the parking spot that I was sitting in when I hit that button. I would imagine that the 275 yards is a cushion for the delivery, but the GPS is pretty accurate for actual postition. Just throwing that out there for people afraid of Big Brother.